The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

When i see you Spurs supporters sign up on this forum, i just cant imagine what you are thinking about.

Because i would never sign up on an Spurs forum, why the hell would i do that?

Ask your self, why in the mother of god did you sign up on an Newcastle fan site, when you are an Spurs fan?

Its beyond me, it really really is.

to be fair, most things are beyond you.

Kaka You sure about Bilic not saying pre tournament that Modric will  be given more responsibility and this may consist of him having to do more defensive work than he is used to?

What is wrong with you? There's always an excuse with you lot.

Look the guy was not great today. There is no way Bilic would have wanted him defending so deeply all game like that against freakin' Austria.

He will have better days though as he is a good player so get over it. Stop going on like you were in the Croats dressing room before the game.

I like the way you just avoided answering the question with another pointless rant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay KD show me the evidence of Bilic asking Modric to play more defensively versus Austria.

if you have a look at my posts i said that Bilic said that pre-tournament (as you already know, i wasnt specifically refering to the Austria game).

I've actually become so fed up of the way you try and have a go at every little thing i say (and at times manipulate my words), that i'm not gonna bother replying to your posts for a while (a cooling off period if you will). It's clearly obvious you'll have an issue with eveything a type so there's really no point.

Oh stop being such a sissy!

My comment was perfectly valid. No matter what, I'm sure Bilic didn't intend for Modric to be that deep the majority of a game against Austria.

So we don't need to hear you blaming Bilic.

Interrr-esting stuff:

So far, only one team per game has scored.

Been pretty boring.

Hoping that the Group of Death will start things up.  Germany/Poland was disappointing but surely Italy/Holland will offer something.

Italians score early goal.. Holland huff and puff for an hour but loose anyway..

Jinxed.

Guest Heneage

Obviously just 1 game, but not that impressed with Modric.  They can show the two times he didn't get knocked off the ball all they like, he looks like a lightweight.

Lightweight? think you're wrong. On todays performance he looked far from Lightweight. Dictated the game well and has an excellent passing range. Does his fair share defensivly too (Bilic gave him a more defensive role today as croatia played 2 upfront). He faded second half but still a good perfomance.

How do you know what Bilic asked him to do?

Cos he's a Spurs fan who've just paid £16M for a player that did not re in vent the wheele the first time the saw him.

Haven't read the other posts yet, but I thought that Modric looked excellent when Croatia had the ball, his movement both on and off the ball, his technique, decision making and his work ethic was spot on.

However, when Croatia weren't on the ball he appeared to have no offensive attributes whatsoever, and if he carries on like this in this midfield position, better clubs, especially in the PL are going to havea field day. Spurs are going to either have to play him on the wing where he'll be less than half as good, or instead of one of their strikers, or with twodefensive midfielders next to him. He'd be great at Arsenal, but unless there are massive changes at Spurs I can't see him fitting in.

i'm not trying to argue, i just genuinely dont understand the bold bit, he's supposed to be offensive when his team hasnt got the ball?

Whoops, I meant defensive, getting mixed up as always.

Henry wont play...Benzema instead probably...

Don't know... Domenech is one stubborn mother fucker.

yeah thats true..But i think Henry hasn't been practising that much since the warm up game against Colombia...

Anyway, this is the team that ended the last training session. Dont know what to make out of that though, But it looks like a team that could start the game.

Coupet – Sagnol Thuram Gallas Abidal – Ribéry Toulalan Makelele Malouda – Anelka Benzema

Haven't read the other posts yet, but I thought that Modric looked excellent when Croatia had the ball, his movement both on and off the ball, his technique, decision making and his work ethic was spot on.

However, when Croatia weren't on the ball he appeared to have no offensive attributes whatsoever, and if he carries on like this in this midfield position, better clubs, especially in the PL are going to havea field day. Spurs are going to either have to play him on the wing where he'll be less than half as good, or instead of one of their strikers, or with twodefensive midfielders next to him. He'd be great at Arsenal, but unless there are massive changes at Spurs I can't see him fitting in.

i'm not trying to argue, i just genuinely dont understand the bold bit, he's supposed to be offensive when his team hasnt got the ball?

Whoops, I meant defensive, getting mixed up as always.

really? i thought i saw him stick his boot in a few times to good effect. anyway its one game, we'll find out either way for sure next season

Modric will be a star player for Spurs, and a big name in England no doubt about that, but I suspect it'll be in the Kinkladze/Di canio/Zola mould in that the overall performance of the team will be down to the quality of the other ten players.

Perfect example with Abidal. Evra has been awesome for 2 years now while Abidal has been getting worse,  Evra never gets a game.

Big fan of Benzema though, hope he'll be playing in the Prem as soon as possible. There must be a way for him to have great Euro but for France to fail miserably.

Guest optimistic nit

i've got 29 of the 40 that i spent before the tournement started on tournement long bets back, but i think i'll give tommorow a miss tbh. i'm not really certain on either game. might have a pop at france, but only with a tenner like.