The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obviously just 1 game, but not that impressed with Modric.  They can show the two times he didn't get knocked off the ball all they like, he looks like a lightweight.

Lightweight? think you're wrong. On todays performance he looked far from Lightweight. Dictated the game well and has an excellent passing range. Does his fair share defensivly too (Bilic gave him a more defensive role today as croatia played 2 upfront). He faded second half but still a good perfomance.

How do you know what Bilic asked him to do?

Have Spurs ITKs infiltrated the Croatia dressing room too?

Ridiculous.

Guest pont-toon

anyone else think guirero (sp?) looked good for poland when he came on? left footed, quick feet, good decisions and accurate passing

thought the same myself like - looked a good player

who does he play for ?

didnt think there was anything wrong with modric's performance to be honest, he is gonna lose a few 50/50's due to his size but i dont think that will hold him back too much to take him out of games, i was willing him to be shit like, or break his leg

anyone else think guirero (sp?) looked good for poland when he came on? left footed, quick feet, good decisions and accurate passing

who does he play for ?

just been given his polish passport in january iirc, so, someone in poland? not a clue, haha

Guest LucaAltieri

didnt think there was anything wrong with modric's performance to be honest, he is gonna lose a few 50/50's due to his size but i dont think that will hold him back too much to take him out of games, i was willing him to be shit like, or break his leg

Will probably be an improvement on Jenas.

who does he play for ?

Legia Warsaw I think they said.

Guest kingdawson

Obviously just 1 game, but not that impressed with Modric.  They can show the two times he didn't get knocked off the ball all they like, he looks like a lightweight.

Lightweight? think you're wrong. On todays performance he looked far from Lightweight. Dictated the game well and has an excellent passing range. Does his fair share defensivly too (Bilic gave him a more defensive role today as croatia played 2 upfront). He faded second half but still a good perfomance.

Ridiculous.

spurs itk? get a girlfriend ffs.

Ermmmmmm i know this because having watched croatia in the past, Modric has a more advanced role and they play Eduardo with olic tucked in behind him. I also know this because Bilic said before the tournament started that he may give Modric a more defensive role than he's usually used to.

How about you just ask a question next time rather than try and have a go for the smallest things. Saves you looking like a bigger clown than you already seem to be.

Ridiculous.

spurs itk? get a girlfriend ffs.

Ermmmmmm i know this because having watched croatia in the past, Modric has a more advanced role and they play Eduardo with olic tucked in behind him. I also know this because Bilic said before the tournament started that he may give Modric a more defensive role than he's usually used to.

How about you just ask a question next time rather than try and have a go for the smallest things. Saves you looking like a bigger clown than you already seem to be.

Just don't make up stuff. Bilic said nothing about Modric having a more defensive role today. Just accept that he wasn't that great today, it's only one game afterall.

Why the hell would he be asked to play a defensive role against bloody Austria? Are you freakin kidding me?!

Haven't read the other posts yet, but I thought that Modric looked excellent when Croatia had the ball, his movement both on and off the ball, his technique, decision making and his work ethic was spot on.

However, when Croatia weren't on the ball he appeared to have no offensive attributes whatsoever, and if he carries on like this in this midfield position, better clubs, especially in the PL are going to havea field day. Spurs are going to either have to play him on the wing where he'll be less than half as good, or instead of one of their strikers, or with twodefensive midfielders next to him. He'd be great at Arsenal, but unless there are massive changes at Spurs I can't see him fitting in.

Guest kingdawson

Kaka You sure about Bilic not saying pre tournament that Modric will  be given more responsibility and this may consist of him having to do more defensive work than he is used to?

Haven't read the other posts yet, but I thought that Modric looked excellent when Croatia had the ball, his movement both on and off the ball, his technique, decision making and his work ethic was spot on.

However, when Croatia weren't on the ball he appeared to have no offensive attributes whatsoever, and if he carries on like this in this midfield position, better clubs, especially in the PL are going to havea field day. Spurs are going to either have to play him on the wing where he'll be less than half as good, or instead of one of their strikers, or with twodefensive midfielders next to him. He'd be great at Arsenal, but unless there are massive changes at Spurs I can't see him fitting in.

i'm not trying to argue, i just genuinely dont understand the bold bit, he's supposed to be offensive when his team hasnt got the ball?

Kaka You sure about Bilic not saying pre tournament that Modric will  be given more responsibility and this may consist of him having to do more defensive work than he is used to?

What is wrong with you? There's always an excuse with you lot.

Look the guy was not great today. There is no way Bilic would have wanted him defending so deeply all game like that against freakin' Austria.

He will have better days though as he is a good player so get over it. Stop going on like you were in the Croats dressing room before the game.

Guest kingdawson

Look the guy was not great today. There is no way Bilic would have wanted him defending so deeply all game like that against freakin' Austria.

He will have better days though as he is a good player so get over it. Stop going on like you were in the Croats dressing room before the game.

I like the way you just avoided answering the question with another pointless rant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just don't make up stuff. Bilic said nothing about Modric having a more defensive role today. Just accept that he wasn't that great today, it's only one game afterall.

Why the hell would he be asked to play a defensive role against bloody Austria? Are you freakin kidding me?!

Agree with all of that. 

"He was playing a more defensive role" is usually used as an excuse for an attacking player not playing well.  He didn't do much defensively either btw.

Still only one game though, but he didn't play well today, played a similar sort of game as Emre did yesterday IMO

Modric looks a clever little player but I'm not too disappointed we lost out to Spurs. He's hardly a midfield dynamo and I can see why a lot of the big CL clubs didn't make a move. He's a bit lightweight and there'll be matches where Spurs might get over-run in midfield next season.

I thought Germany played within themselves for most of the game. They look very strong.

Gomez looked surprisingly crap. His first touch was terrible. I can't believe that a nation of 80 million people hasn't produce a better No 9 than him.

You'd be the best scout ever.  :laugh:

Maybe just a bad game, he's looked real sharp in the league, like.

Some players don't make the transition between league and international football, and he looked to me like one of them. Maybe it was nerves or inexperience, but he seemed out of his depth.

I like the way you just avoided answering the question with another pointless rant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay KD show me the evidence of Bilic asking Modric to play more defensively versus Austria.

I thought Germany played within themselves for most of the game. They look very strong.

Gomez looked surprisingly crap. His first touch was terrible. I can't believe that a nation of 80 million people hasn't produce a better No 9 than him.

I agree that he was awful today. But

Some players don't make the transition between league and international football, and he looked to me like one of them. Maybe it was nerves or inexperience, but he seemed out of his depth.

Gomez also looked quite handy in the CL when he played tbh. I agree that he looked awul today, but on form and when played to his strength his first touch is quite handy and his finishing is suplime. I would't rate him on todays game...

Guest kingdawson

Okay KD show me the evidence of Bilic asking Modric to play more defensively versus Austria.

if you have a look at my posts i said that Bilic said that pre-tournament (as you already know, i wasnt specifically refering to the Austria game).

I've actually become so fed up of the way you try and have a go at every little thing i say (and at times manipulate my words), that i'm not gonna bother replying to your posts for a while (a cooling off period if you will). It's clearly obvious you'll have an issue with eveything a type so there's really no point.

Guest Stephen927

Well taken penalty, few nice pieces of play from Modric. Played a bit within himself, I'm sure there'll be more to come from the lad. Just needs to get over how big a stage it is and start playing more relaxed.

Guest kingdawson

When i see you Spurs supporters sign up on this forum, i just cant imagine what you are thinking about.

Because i would never sign up on an Spurs forum, why the hell would i do that?

Ask your self, why in the mother of god did you sign up on an Newcastle fan site, when you are an Spurs fan?

Its beyond me, it really really is.

Cheers, i've asked myself.