The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whatever you say about ITV/BBC commentary, be thankful you don't have to endure the horror that is Ray Houghton.

It's incredible, he's the most negative commentator I've ever heard in my life. You'd swear the guy was better than Maradona when he played with the criticism he levels at absolutely f***ing everybody.

Our pundits are immense though.

Dunphy on the Russian mentality earlier on

"There's sort of a melancholy about the Russian psyche, a willingness to be beaten. Much like the Welsh..."

Sounds like watching a match with my dad. Basically finds it incomprehensible that anyone ever does anything wrong on a football pitch. Can't understand why anyone should ever be offside, why anyone ever misplaces a pass, why anyone shoots off-target.

Houghton is a step worse, I genuinely believe he thinks players are putting in poor balls on purpose sometimes. That's an issue of deciding to do the right thing and nothing more, the actual doing it is routine.

Turkey game at the weekend, Kazim put in a poor cross that the keeper came out and collected

Cue Houghton

"Now what's he doing there? He's got to put that in with a bit of pace, or pick a man out. But he's just floated it straight at the keeper, I don't understand what he's thinking."

Anyone who watches football in Ireland is aware of it as well, friend of mine called up for the second half yesterday and saw I was watching on ITV and said "Ray Houghton got to ya, eh?"

Whatever you say about ITV/BBC commentary, be thankful you don't have to endure the horror that is Ray Houghton.

It's incredible, he's the most negative commentator I've ever heard in my life. You'd swear the guy was better than Maradona when he played with the criticism he levels at absolutely f***ing everybody.

"There's sort of a melancholy about the Russian psyche, a willingness to be beaten. Much like the Welsh..."

Sounds like watching a match with my dad. Basically finds it incomprehensible that anyone ever does anything wrong on a football pitch. Can't understand why anyone should ever be offside, why anyone ever misplaces a pass, why anyone shoots off-target.

Houghton is a step worse, I genuinely believe he thinks players are putting in poor balls on purpose sometimes. That's an issue of deciding to do the right thing and nothing more, the actual doing it is routine.

Turkey game at the weekend, Kazim put in a poor cross that the keeper came out and collected

Cue Houghton

"Now what's he doing there? He's got to put that in with a bit of pace, or pick a man out. But he's just floated it straight at the keeper, I don't understand what he's thinking."

Anyone who watches football in Ireland is aware of it as well, friend of mine called up for the second half yesterday and saw I was watching on ITV and said "Ray Houghton got to ya, eh?"

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4717/harryenfieldjb9.jpg

"You don't want to cross a ball like that..."

Cue Houghton

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4717/harryenfieldjb9.jpg

"You don't want to cross a ball like that..."

Beglin is the master at that.  Player does one thing, Beglin says he should have done something else.