Pre-season friendlies at SJP: Rangers (set to be called off) and Valencia

Dave

The Valencia game should be decent, though I won't be going to the Rangers game if the fans are anything like the Celtic game last pre-season.

I hate the Scots, savages.

Somewhere in a basement up North, Scottish Mag's patriot alarm has just started buzzing frantically.

:knuppel2:

The Valencia game should be decent, though I won't be going to the Rangers game if the fans are anything like the Celtic game last pre-season.

Somewhere in a basement up North, Scottish Mag's patriot alarm has just started buzzing frantically.

Get him sorted man.

Guest MrShens

Get him sorted man.

Aye get me sorted like you did the Greater Manchester Police.  :laugh2:

Guest Jawesome

Get him sorted man.

This.

Get him sorted man.

Did I?  Don't think I have ever been in Manchester tbh...;)

Well we can scrub the Rangers one off the list now then. :)

How? Have they imploded in a ball of shame?

Not completely sure if it's true but I believe Rangers may now be involved in CL Qualifiers on that night because they only finished 2nd.

I hope Rangers get replaced with Celtic! I always love those battles... against a side worthy of being scottish champions!

I fucking don't. Celtic can fuck off if they even think of playing down here again.

Big friendly against Rangers is called off

May 23 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United’s friendly against Rangers on August 6 has been scrapped after the Ibrox club saw their treble dreams disintegrate at the hands of Celtic last night.

Walter Smith’s side now face a Champions League second qualifying round second-leg tie on either August 5 or 6 instead, meaning the friendly is no longer viable.

The high-profile fixture was one of the highlights of United’s pre-season calendar, but Toon officials knew that the game would never be rubber-stamped until the SPL season was complete.

And United have alternative arrangements in the pipeline.

Great news for the Newcastle police (unless they wanted overtime), council street cleaners, train passengers and anyone wanting to go to Newcastle on the day of the match.

Big friendly against Rangers is called off

May 23 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE Uniteds friendly against Rangers on August 6 has been scrapped after the Ibrox club saw their treble dreams disintegrate at the hands of Celtic last night.

Walter Smiths side now face a Champions League second qualifying round second-leg tie on either August 5 or 6 instead, meaning the friendly is no longer viable.

The high-profile fixture was one of the highlights of Uniteds pre-season calendar, but Toon officials knew that the game would never be rubber-stamped until the SPL season was complete.

And United have alternative arrangements in the pipeline.

Great news for the Newcastle police (unless they wanted overtime), council street cleaners, train passengers and anyone wanting to go to Newcastle on the day of the match.

cracking me up this, rangers now being seen as the scum of the earth (literally)

what's up with a little riot from time to time?  everyone needs to let off steam..!

this plus the sectarian chanting carry on with uefa eh?  gonna take some good PR for the club to come back from that combination

must be mint being spanish, italian & dutch where you can routinely go about stabbing fellow fans to death, dropping scooters on policeman, attacking your own players when they don't win, being overtly racist to opposition etc... without anyone batting an eyelid!!!

Guest Knightrider

I'm in Glasgow at least once a week and I don't get them, they seemingly love us Geordies, although I find the Green and White parts of Glasgow people to be arrogant and very insular when it comes to footy (like Man Utd fans) with your Rangers fans being sound generally (more like us I find), and they seem canny people too. In fact I love Glasgow so much these days it's one of my fave cities, never had any problems and this whole anti-English thing seems a myth to me when in their company. However take them out of Glasgow and they can't help themselves. No more invites to the fuckers please. 

United avoid big pay out

May 25 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE have avoided being hit with a huge police bill after plans to host Rangers in a pre-season friendly were scrapped.

The Gers were due on Tyneside on August 6, but their failure to lift the Scottish title means they will now be otherwise engaged in a Champions League qualifying round tie.

And that means a huge and costly police operation — to which Newcastle would have had to make a large contribution — has also been stood down.

Rioting by Rangers fans in Manchester on the night of the UEFA Cup final last week meant the news of the Ibrox giants’ proposed visit to St James’s Park came as a surprise.

And police had advised United in no uncertain terms that they would be asked to cover much of the cost of preventing similar trouble on the night of August 6.