Please explain this to me.

Mike

Guest teepee

he was bought to play the gary speed role, but ended up on the left wing - neither position was right for him!

had some wonderful passes at times, but the physical side was too much for him. i liked him though...

My memory of him is that he always thought he had more time on the ball than he did I.e. He'd get the ball then look up to pick out a pass and in the meantime an opposition player would come up and take the ball off him. "Man on" was Viana's 'song/chant'.

My memory of him is that he always thought he had more time on the ball than he did I.e. He'd get the ball then look up to pick out a pass and in the meantime an opposition player would come up and take the ball off him. "Man on" was Viana's 'song/chant'.

Hence his "Dwells on Ball" on FM

that`s what I thought he`d be more suited to Serie A than the EPL due to the slower pace and physicality (more so than La Liga too). I reckon if he had a proper defensive midfielder alongside him in the Batty mould, doing all the donkey work he might`ve been more of a success but not many teams can afford to have one of those luxury number 10 players (that float between the midfield/attack) as you might call it. Can`t think of any EPL teams that play 3-5-1-2 formation. He was certainly not suited to the 4-4-2 that we mostly played

Maybe if Juve won the signature to sign him at the time ahead of us things would have turned out better for Hugo.

that`s what I thought he`d be more suited to Serie A than the EPL due to the slower pace and physicality (more so than La Liga too). I reckon if he had a proper defensive midfielder alongside him in the Batty mould, doing all the donkey work he might`ve been more of a success but not many teams can afford to have one of those luxury number 10 players (that float between the midfield/attack) as you might call it. Can`t think of any EPL teams that play 3-5-1-2 formation. He was certainly not suited to the 4-4-2 that we mostly played

Maybe if Juve won the signature to sign him at the time ahead of us things would have turned out better for Hugo.

Probably because not playing a goalkeeper is too risky ;)

His best moment for us was that goal when we beat Feyenoord 2-3.

Mike, why not buy the season review DVD's from 2001 onwards? they are cheap as chips on amazon and such places and will get you up to speed on the happenings in the 4 years or so before you started following us.

Just a thought plus they are a good watch, particularly 2001/02 and 2002/03.

:thup:

Mike, why not buy the season review DVD's from 2001 onwards? they are cheap as chips on amazon and such places and will get you up to speed on the happenings in the 4 years or so before you started following us.

Man, I don't think I should. You look at where the club was then, and where it's been since. You're asking me to experience all that for the first time over the course of a few days.

That thumbs up smiley should have a knife in it.

SBR fuked him over like he did Jenas trying to make them into different types of players.

Well at least SBR knew the importance of Gary Speed, just neither of them two were ever going to replace him.

Gutted that viana didn't work out, i had his name on my shirt and defended him irrationally at times because i knew of his potential and i could see he had it in him to be a class player. Sadly it didn't happen :undecided: ......

Man, I don't think I should. You look at where the club was then, and where it's been since. You're asking me to experience all that for the first time over the course of a few days.

I think you should get them, also the Newcastle history dvd to see the TRUE glory days of NUFC........Ah the 1950's.........

I've always felt that Viana was SBR's worst decision. Paying big money for young players is always a bit of a gamble, but in this case it wasn't a gamble he needed to take. We already Jenas as a young player to blood into the central midfield role.

At NUFC, Viana also suffered from the problem that a lot of left-footed players have - that is, they often get played wide left because of the shortage of left-footed players, regardless of whether they're actually better suited down the centre.

And as others have said, he wasn't strong enough to cope with the Premiership in his normal, central position. He was a brilliant passer of the ball, but that wasn't enough.

I think you should get them, also the Newcastle history dvd to see the TRUE glory days of NUFC........Ah the 1950's.........

I've only read Fifty Years of Hurt. It pretty much caught me up to speed with present day, but in my mind, there is this huge gap between Keegan's first stint as manager (I've seen highlights of a few matches on TV) and when I actually started supporting the team. I've never seen any of the Robson era, and nothing of the managers that followed him.

The summer we signed him, I actually got VIANA 45 on the home shirt, such was my excitement and optimism at the time. I've refused to get a numer on my toon shirts since...  :crazy2:

I've only read Fifty Years of Hurt. It pretty much caught me up to speed with present day, but in my mind, there is this huge gap between Keegan's first stint as manager (I've seen highlights of a few matches on TV) and when I actually started supporting the team. I've never seen any of the Robson era, and nothing of the managers that followed him.

There's a few good videos on youtube, Robson era compilations (Tooj's in particular) but you've probably seen them anyway. The 4th and 3rd seasons were class.

You planning on attending a game next season?