Sebastian Larsson - agent confirms NUFC interest

Captain Underpants

Have people forgot that we got a pretty gash squad, and this guy is a decent player who would give us a few options. We need a lot of improvement, signing Larsson will not mean a turnaround in our squad but its a start.

Guest optimistic nit

i think if we can progress him right, he could turn out to be a very good player. i'd want 2 central midfielders signed in addition to him though.

The way some people are going on you would swear we are interested on Dean Windass for 4million. He looks technically sound and I think he can improve, just beacause he's not a world beater yet doesn't mean he won't be a very good signing, equally there is no guarentee that he will do anything for us, however, we could be linked with far far worse players!!!!

Guest Heneage

The problem we have is, in the system of 4-3-3- you can't have Average midfielders, look at Chelsea they have top quality midfielders, an "Average midfielder that might get better" won't be suffice, i'm not saying get Deco Stankovic and Toulalalon. But we need a higher quality of midfielder, Arshavin should be our number one target in my opinion. Turan and then an Essien like runner, that toulouse fella I mean Stankovic might be worth a punt he's reproted to be transfer listed by Mourinho.

The way some people are going on you would swear we are interested on Dean Windass for 4million. He looks technically sound and I think he can improve, just beacause he's not a world beater yet doesn't mean he won't be a very good signing, equally there is no guarentee that he will do anything for us, however, we could be linked with far far worse players!!!!

Exactly.  The way people are going on about "only signing players that will improve us" you would think we had quality central midfielders in the squad already, not a pair of aging journeymen who were both involved in losing to fucking Derby.  "A young Swedish international who happens to be the most accurate free kick taker in the league is going for the cheap?  No thanks, not good enough for us."  Embarrassing.   

The problem we have is, in the system of 4-3-3- you can't have Average midfielders, look at Chelsea they have top quality midfielders, an "Average midfielder that might get better" won't be suffice, i'm not saying get Deco Stankovic and Toulalalon. But we need a higher quality of midfielder, Arshavin should be our number one target in my opinion. Turan and then an Essien like runner, that toulouse fella I mean Stankovic might be worth a punt he's reproted to be transfer listed by Mourinho.

Well Keegan managed to get 4-3-3 with midfielders who, on their best days, aspire to be average.  Imagine how good we'd be with someone half-decent like Larsson.

"Look at Chelsea, they have top quality midfielders"

Aye they do, they also spent what? A few hundred million? They also fought it out for the league and Champions league this year right to the final day/game of the competitions. I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves if we are looking at them and thinking "hang on, why the hell aren't we like that!?".

Guest Heneage

Did you read my post? FFS Jon.

Yes they have spent millions, but my point is they are competing at the top with the same formation, and they have those types of midfielders i'm not saying "Let's go spend 70m on a 3 man midfield", but i'm saying in this midfield of 4-3-3 there's nowhere to hide, in a 4-4-2 a winger can not track back and have a quiet game no bother. In a 4-3-3 if one's not pulling the other 2 are over-ran. We need to up the quality not just the quantity.

Yes they have spent millions, but my point is they are competing at the top with the same formation, and they have those types of midfielders i'm not saying "Let's go spend 70m on a 3 man midfield", but i'm saying in this midfield of 4-3-3 there's nowhere to hide, in a 4-4-2 a winger can not track back and have a quiet game no bother. In a 4-3-3 if one's not pulling the other 2 are over-ran. We need to up the quality not just the quantity.

But we need player in and around for squad rotation, right now i think he's good enough for that job, i'd like to think we'd have better for 1st team duties but it wouldn't be the end of the world if the lad saw 20 or so starts a season.

Plus i really don't think were in a position to be too choosy right now, he's Premiership quality and that's better than what we've got for that role currently.

But we need player in and around for squad rotation, right now i think he's good enough for that job, i'd like to think we'd have better for 1st team duties but it wouldn't be the end of the world if the lad saw 20 or so starts a season.

Plus i really don't think were in a position to be too choosy right now, he's Premiership quality and that's better than what we've got for that role currently.

Huzzah!

That's a load of rubbish. May have been true even 5 years ago but these days wingers that don't track back are non-existant. Even wingers that are percieved as poor defenders have to track back as they will get ripped apart if they apart if they don't. 

I reckon i'd be quite happy with this actually. It'd atleast show we're actually up to stuff. And when you look at the teams around us, such as Boro (who have bought before we have), it'd be a similar signing to their run-of-the-mill-player purchases... and yet still so much better... if you follow me.

Martins - Gomis/?

Owen

Larsson - Butt/? - Turan

Isnt that bad at all if you think about it.

Those three midgets in midfield? Well it certainly wont be a dynamic midfield three anyway...Will get overrun over and over..

If we are going to play that system i think the team needs 2 of 3 in the midfield three to be quite athletic..

Probably, But if you have:

Crouch - Crouch/Zigic

Zigic

Crouch - Crouch - Crouch

?

hmmm.. I didn't mean players as tall as possible...

I would go for one playmaker and one box to box player  and one strong defensive midfielder for the midfield three..

Never taken much notice of him, but the more I read the more I like - certainly for £4m anyway. Can cover left and right fullback positions and I didn't realise he was at Arsenal for so long; five years or so from the age of 16? That's a good upbringing. Be nice to have a threat from freekicks too.