Sebastian Larsson - agent confirms NUFC interest

Captain Underpants

It's so funny, but this is the kind of player Mark Hughes or Moyes would pick up for a pittance with no one batting an eyelid and then when they start flying everyone acts surprised.

Stephen Warnock, David Bentley, Jagielka, Lescott, etc.

If any of these had been suggested prior to joingin either blackburn or Everton I wonder what the reactions would have been.

PUT A BID IN!

It is hilarious, like.

You seem to know a lot about him, Kaka. What actually are his good attributes, other than being young with a good background? And set pieces, obviously.

Just a very good all around midfielder. Good passer, lovely technique, can beat a man with a nice little move, however won't blow by them as he does lack real pace. He also has a good workrate and doesn't shy away from defensive work, although not a great tackler or battler per se he will make a nuisance of himself.

Guest Phil K

Not good enough!

Average at best, wouldn't take us to the next level. We have plenty of squad players, we need players who are going to make a big difference to our first team.

I'd agree with that.  He was one that Wenger was happy to let go and that says everything about him imo.

TBF - Wenger has let a few players go who went on to do well - Bentley being only one.

It's so funny, but this is the kind of player Mark Hughes or Moyes would pick up for a pittance with no one batting an eyelid and then when they start flying everyone acts surprised.

Stephen Warnock, David Bentley, Jagielka, Lescott, etc.

If any of these had been suggested prior to joingin either blackburn or Everton I wonder what the reactions would have been.

PUT A BID IN!

It is hilarious, like.

It is though!

The same guys dismissing him will tell you we should get Lennon, which is an absolute abomination.

Guest Jawesome

His stats are average at best on FM.  I would stay well clear.

On a slightly more serious note, I think he's better than Milner, Geremi, Emre and Anal Smith.

I quite like him, tbh, and you won't find me saying that about many Swedish players.

He's got a quality touch, very good set-pieces, is young and will see us as a step up.

Probably not the kind of player that will take us to the next level, but he would be a very good squad-player and would probably get quite a few games. For anything less than £4m, I'd see him as a great addition to the squad.

All this "not good enough to get us to the next level" stuff is odd.

Surely one prerequisite to get to the next level (incidentally, what is 'the next level'?) is to have decent depth of squad. Not every player Newcastle sign is going to be an obvious 'next leveller' - strength in depth is just as important as quality in the first eleven, surely?

(Obviously, the above in no way reflects the way I responded when we signed Knight and Harewood last year ;), but MON was right and I was wrong).

All this "not good enough to get us to the next level" stuff is odd.

Surely one prerequisite to get to the next level (incidentally, what is 'the next level'?) is to have decent depth of squad. Not every player Newcastle sign is going to be an obvious 'next leveller' - strength in depth is just as important as quality in the first eleven, surely?

(Obviously, the above in no way reflects the way I responded when we signed Knight and Harewood last year ;), but MON was right and I was wrong).

Point well made Brummie, we have squad depth of a very flimsy nature. People on here won't be happy till we have Messi on the bench. When we have a couple of injuries the people who are coming to replace them (Smith, Carroll, Duff, Edgar etc.) are of a lot poorer quality and our first team isn't exactly packed full of world beaters to start off with. Bringing in some players of equal quality will give us cat least competition for places which can only be a good thing and might encourage some players to play a better. I also think Larsson (Bluenose connections aside) could do a decent job for your boys.

I see Kaka's been eating things from under the sink again.

bluelaugh.gif

Anyway, i think he's half decent, could be the cover for Enrique we need as well as being a good option on the side of the 3 in mid in the 433, especially with Barton in the clink and Geremi due to be taken out into a field and shot.

Yes he's in the Swedish squad and hes probably going to start in the Euro because Ljungberg is so injury prone like its not even funny.

Doubt it.

The fuck-wit of a manager will go for Ljunberg and Wilhelmsson on the flanks, and should Ljungberg be injured I can well see Alexanderson playing, as the "experience" is so important for him.

Mind, as all I want for the Euros is for Sweden to fuck up as much as possible, this scenario would do me.

Yes he's in the Swedish squad and hes probably going to start in the Euro because Ljungberg is so injury prone like its not even funny.

Doubt it.

The f***-wit of a manager will go for Ljunberg and Wilhelmsson on the flanks, and should Ljungberg be injured I can well see Alexanderson playing, as the "experience" is so important for him.

Mind, as all I want for the Euros is for Sweden to f*** up as much as possible, this scenario would do me.

Why? Because of the winless England vs Sweden run?

Larsson will start to the right and Ljungberg to the left. I'd like to see him here. Wonderful free kicks and a solid player who can pass the ball, something that not too many of our players are familiar with. Still think we could find someone better, if we are to replace Geremi.

Doubt it.

The f***-wit of a manager will go for Ljunberg and Wilhelmsson on the flanks, and should Ljungberg be injured I can well see Alexanderson playing, as the "experience" is so important for him.

Mind, as all I want for the Euros is for Sweden to f*** up as much as possible, this scenario would do me.

Larsson will start to the right and Ljungberg to the left. I'd like to see him here. Wonderful free kicks and a solid player who can pass the ball, something that not too many of our players are familiar with. Still think we could find someone better, if we are to replace Geremi.

I thought Larsson was left footed?

Doubt it.

You got a point there, but somehow Lagerbäck will need to give younger player a chance to prove their worth. Its useless when the swedish national team plays player like Alexandersson and M.Nilsson.

Guest Peter.Sthlm

The hype surrounding this guy since he scored that freekick against Liverpool has been imense here in Sweden. All our experters want to see him in our starting line up for many years to come. A scenario that seems to be likely since he really is a typical Lagerbäck type of player. That means he would have a good chance of playing in the upcoming EC and probably (since we always seem to quallify) even the WC in two years. Something Barton, Geremi and Milner probably won't be (refering to the WC bit) doing.

IMO he would be a usefull adition to the squad. I think he's consistent and has enough skill to be considerd as a good passer of the ball. Obviously he ain't no Fabregas but that isn't his role either. I think his time at Arsenal has given him alot in terms of individual skills. He also seems to be a typical swedish athlete (humble, good work rate, consistent performer although not a world beater, good caracter off the pitch etc. In other words: the opposite to Joey Barton). The fact that he's just been relegated must mean he sees a move to Newcastle as a step up in his career which increases the chance of him becoming a good signing.

Overall I'd say he's worth a shot. It would be great if he's available at £2-3m but I think he will go for £5m. Still worth it though.

Doubt it.

No he's not.

About Lagerbäck, very underrated. 5th big tournament in a row for a country like Sweden is amazing. Whatever his methods are, it's clearly working. Our squad this time around isn't as good as it was in 2004 when we went out after penalties against Holland in a game we should have won, but his selections are probably more accurate than they seem to be. I think he'll use Wilhelmsson or Larsson to the right, and Mikael Nilsson(former Southampton) or Alexandersson as right back.

Whats Tobias Linderoths reputation in England after his spell at Everton and his showings against England?

Guest Peter.Sthlm

He's right footed but I guess he can use his left foot from time to time if needed.