Emre Belözoğlu (now managing İstanbul Başakşehir)

Guest geordienorway

Replacement? He hardly plays, man. He doesn't need replacing.

we thought the same about dyer and it nearly got us relegated though. if we sell emre we need to sign 2 good quality creative midfielders this summer, and i'd want a top draw def mid as well tbh.

at least that's one of the mega rich on more money than their worth out of the way now though. now we only need to shift smith, viduka (somehow) and duff and we'll be in much better financial shape.

Spot on.

Dyer/Emre may have been crocks, but the few times they did play they often added an extral level of ability to an otherwise mediocre/workman like team. Not necessarily end product, but just some good basic ability that plenty of others in our squad didnt/dont possess.

We cant go into next season with a midfield of Butt, Geremi and the mediocre clone of Barton (jail term aside). We need something significantly better than that lot.

we thought the same about dyer and it nearly got us relegated though. if we sell emre we need to sign 2 good quality creative midfielders this summer, and i'd want a top draw def mid as well tbh.

at least that's one of the mega rich on more money than their worth out of the way now though. now we only need to shift smith, viduka (somehow) and duff and we'll be in much better financial shape.

Spot on.

Dyer/Emre may have been crocks, but the few times they did play they often added an extral level of ability to an otherwise mediocre/workman like team. Not necessarily end product, but just some good basic ability that plenty of others in our squad didnt/dont possess.

We cant go into next season with a midfield of Butt, Geremi and the mediocre clone of Barton (jail term aside). We need something significantly better than that lot.

the need to replace them with better of a similar type is obvious.

Hope he has gone. The club has all summer to strengthen the midfield, and basically if they don't, somebody wants shooting.

Spot on.

Hope he has gone. The club has all summer to strengthen the midfield, and basically if they don't, somebody wants shooting.

We should sell Emre, then sign another right back to oust Beye from the team. Ie, ignore the gaping holes in the team/squad and just sign someone supposedly good simply because theyre available who just happens to play in the same position as our prior season's best performer. Similar to the Duff debacle.

Spot on.

We should sell Emre, then sign another right back to oust Beye from the team. Ie, ignore the gaping holes in the team/squad and just sign someone supposedly good simply because theyre available who just happens to play in the same position as our prior season's best performer. Similar to the Duff debacle.

indeed. Just like last summer, when we didnt' replace Solano and Dyer, and brought in 3 centre backs when we have a promising centre half who has came through from the clubs youth and reserve teams.

Was someone else eating all those pies ?

If he's gone I'm gutted, he's one of the very few players in our squad with a real touch of class. They'd better be lining up someone pretty great to replace him, really think his style of football could have flourished under a proper Keegan team.

Just have to wait for things to confirmed or denied officially, also he was to be my reason for supporting the Turks at the Euros!  :dave:

If he's gone I'm gutted, he's one of the very few players in our squad with a real touch of class. They'd better be lining up someone pretty great to replace him, really think his style of football could have flourished under a proper Keegan team.

Just have to wait for things to confirmed or denied officially, also he was to be my reason for supporting the Turks at the Euros!  :dave:

How do you know?

gutted? he never plays man, i'll be glad to see the back of him

Spot on.

indeed. Just like last summer, when we didnt' replace Solano and Dyer, and brought in 3 centre backs when we have a promising centre half who has came through from the clubs youth and reserve teams.

Did that have something to do with the transfer policy of a certain inept, clueless, bitter manager who was appointed by - wait for it - the previous board/chairman?

And why should we need direct replacements for Nobby and Dyer when we had signed, according to you, one good player in Smith and another top class player in Duff?

Who do you blame for the signings we made last summer? (in terms of the positions we recruited for)

How do you know?

Because he has things in his locker other players don't have, touch, vision and technique. Are you telling me you'd rather have Barton, Butt or Geremi playing through-balls over Emre? He's also got a fantastic reputation in Europe has played and done well at one of the biggest clubs in the world and can simply do things in our team that no-one else can.

Just because he's suffered with injury a fair bit in the past (as have many people under the previous regimes) doesn't mean he can't be fully fit and reach his potential at the club. I know at this point of the season we're supposed to be negative about all our current players and think everyone we bring in is going to be the answer, but sometimes you can ignore the answers slightly closer to home.

Because he has things in his locker other players don't have, touch, vision and technique. Are you telling me you'd rather have Barton, Butt or Geremi playing through-balls over Emre? He's also got a fantastic reputation in Europe has played and done well at one of the biggest clubs in the world and can simply do things in our team that no-one else can.

Just because he's suffered with injury a fair bit in the past (as have many people under the previous regimes) doesn't mean he can't be fully fit and reach his potential at the club. I know at this point of the season we're supposed to be negative about all our current players and think everyone we bring in is going to be the answer, but sometimes you can ignore the answers slightly closer to home.

The most used things in his locker are the injury excuse book and the sick note, if he goes and we get a fee then we've done well.  Emre has turned out to have been a terrible signing.

How do you know?

He might be a decent player and better than what we have, but 7 or so games a season with one or two being of notable performance isn't good enough, its crap.

He was shite at Inter BTW, only the Turkish hangers on thought anything of him, we were the club taking a chance on him with his injuries, the next team to do so are thick as pig shit.

Guest ObaStar

emre signing for fenerbache is like shearer signing for the mackems... i doubt this is true.

He might be a decent player and better than what we have, but 7 or so games a season with one or two being of notable performance isn't good enough, its crap.

He was s**** at Inter BTW, only the Turkish hangers on thought anything of him, we were the club taking a chance on him with his injuries, the next team to do so are thick as pig s***.

You know he won player of the year at Inter.

Spot on.

Did that have something to do with the transfer policy of a certain inept, clueless, bitter manager who was appointed by - wait for it - the previous board/chairman?

And why should we need direct replacements for Nobby and Dyer when we had signed, according to you, one good player in Smith and another top class player in Duff?

no. I don't really want to go off on a tangent about the old board, but their transfer policy of trying to bring top class players to the club ie backing the manager as much as possible, and even taking a risk if it was deemed worthwhile, is correct.

A sell to buy policy, and an over-financial prudent policy for a club of NUFC's potential and support, is selling the club short.

You have to buy the quality players when they are available. Then worry about selling later.

You have to have players that the top 4 clubs themselves want or you won't get in amongst them.

And THAT, is a stone walled fact.

Smith was a good player at Leeds but is not a midfield player. Duff was brought as a good player with his best years in front of him, and Solano getting older.

Smith is not a replacement for Dyer or Solano. Duff has not performed, we know this. There is no point in you using hindsight, it ruins any decent point you can make.

In fact, as I'm sure you are fully aware of these 2 points, your whole argument has been blown up and shown yourself more interested in point scoring than debating and understanding the reasons why they haven't worked out.

Lastly, the players bought last summer were sanctioned by Ashley and Mort. Ashley has said he decided to stick with Allardyce, and Mort has said if they hadn't been happy with that, they would not have sanctioned those deals last summer. Mort also said that our transfer dealings last summer were "good business".

Simple fact is, you aren't able to accept that everybody makes mistakes ie souness, but taking that aside, it doesn't mean they got everything wrong. Their approach to the transfer market and desire to bring top players to the club was one that a club like us should adopt.

And we have yet so see if the current board can beat off their competition to the same degree and qualify for the Champions League and europe as often, or better still, do better. So far, it has not really been a good start, and some of the comments are very naive at best.

i agree. even though he didn't play much Emre got 5 assists and a goal which is pretty productive for the time he was out on the pitch. likewise Dyer scored 7 goals the season before he was sold, and his so-called replacement Smith, never mind producing anything positive, actually had a negative impact on the team. as tmonkey says, players like that add something that players like geremi, barton and butt don't have, a bit of flair, maybe some pace etc.

no.  I don't really want to go off on a tangent about the old board, but ...................

:)

You know he's just lying in wait ;P,  could you imagine the whoops, yipees and high fives when he saw that post from tmonkey ?

i agree. even though he didn't play much Emre got 5 assists and a goal which is pretty productive for the time he was out on the pitch. likewise Dyer scored 7 goals the season before he was sold, and his so-called replacement Smith, never mind producing anything positive, actually had a negative impact on the team. as tmonkey says, players like that add something that players like geremi, barton and butt don't have, a bit of flair, maybe some pace etc.

I honestly don't think we'll miss anything with Emre. We just haven'r seen enough of him on the pitch to miss him.

Dyer on the other hand, we have missed becuase if you look past popular image of him and beyond the numerous injuries you notice that when he was fit he performed. He was instrumental SBR's succesful team. However Emre contributrions to NUFC can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I was a big fan of Emre at Inter and still am tbh. When he plays at his best, Emre's as good as playmakers come. Should be given games pre-season and then evaluated on those before being replaced/sold imo - I think he could do us good next season, certainly capable enough and could save a bit of money which could be used on other areas of the squad.

He was s**** at Inter BTW, only the Turkish hangers on thought anything of him, we were the club taking a chance on him with his injuries, the next team to do so are thick as pig s***.

You know he won player of the year at Inter.

Madness, all the Inter fan on another used i used to go on were laughing at us for paying money for him. It's why i've never held much hope for him from the off.

Guest optimistic nit

I was a big fan of Emre at Inter and still am tbh. When he plays at his best, Emre's as good as playmakers come. Should be given games pre-season and then evaluated on those before being replaced/sold imo - I think he could do us good next season, certainly capable enough and could save a bit of money which could be used on other areas of the squad.

he's on too much money, he's rarely fit, and he's had too many next seasons. we wait till next season and we may not be able to get any money for him at all. get shot now, save us a bit of money, which can go towards bringing some real quality into the side.