Duff to Mackems?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Never wanted him in the first place and lets face it he has done fk all in his time here, get what we can back and get shot...

Same here. I always thought bringing Duff in was unnecessary, the sooner he's off the wage bill the better.

I love this "it was a good decision at the time" horseshit.

If it was a bad decision it was a bad decision.

Was my decision to buy a lottery ticket in a roll over week a good one or a bad one?

When it turns out that you've wasted your money, are you going to argue that it was a "good decision at the time"?

Painfully stupid analogy, tbh.

I love this "it was a good decision at the time" horseshit.

If it was a bad decision it was a bad decision.

Was my decision to buy a lottery ticket in a roll over week a good one or a bad one?

When it turns out that you've wasted your money, are you going to argue that it was a "good decision at the time"?

Painfully stupid analogy, tbh.

Yes, I am.

I'll agree with UV in principle here.

You can't look back and say decisions were poor ones simply because they haven't worked out. In football there's always an element of risk with every signing, things may not work out for one reason or another.

That said, plenty of people said the Duff signing was a stupid one at the time. I do remember myself and Wullie going to war in a few threads to defend The Zog. :D

You can't look back and say decisions were poor ones simply because they haven't worked out.

What else could possibly define a poor decision?

As I said, in football there's always an element of risk with any signing.

Duff has worked out badly, but so do thousands of player purchases every single year throughout the world. It's the nature of the beast.

Sitting back 2 years after the event and saying something was a poor decision and we should never have done it is hindsight at its best. If you were saying Duff was a bad signing at the time then you have a case, but not everyone was at all.

So there's no such thing as a poor decision. It's a lottery, as UV suggests. Best thing to do is just buy a load of players and hope for the best.

:doh:

Sorry, but whether a decision was good or bad depends ENTIRELY on the outcome of that decision.

Guest Stephen927

Thought Duff was a good signing at the time, but to then find out he would take up a third of the budget for that summer when we had key positions such as both full back positions and a centre back was a little hard to swallow.

Would be amazed if we got £5m for him. He wasn't the player he was when we signed him, and now he's even more of a shadow of his former self.

I don't think we'll have much trouble shifting him, just depends on whether we can get a decent deal.

Thought Duff was a good signing at the time, but to then find out he would take up a third of the budget for that summer when we had key positions such as both full back positions and a centre back was a little hard to swallow.

Would be amazed if we got £5m for him. He wasn't the player he was when we signed him, and now he's even more of a shadow of his former self.

I don't think we'll have much trouble shifting him, just depends on whether we can get a decent deal.

Agree with that completely, including the feeling when we signed him. I just couldn't imagine he'd be as bad as he's ended up. That low fee looked like a massive bargain at the time but it's obvious Mourinho knew the score.

Like I said previously in this thread. Without the benefit of hindsight, at the time of the signing I thought oh good, good player but questioned that we needed him, since this was a postion of relative strength for us, we had much more pressing gaps to fill, that we never truely filled that summer.

Guest Stephen927

I certainly got a sense from the Duff transfer that it was a case of "lets sign a big name to paper over the cracks and show we still have a pulling power for top players".

So there's no such thing as a poor decision. It's a lottery, as UV suggests. Best thing to do is just buy a load of players and hope for the best.

:doh:

Sorry, but whether a decision was good or bad depends ENTIRELY on the outcome of that decision.

Rubbish.

Say I offered you a bet of a pound to a penny on the toss of a coin.

Heads you lose 1p, tails you win £1.

You're saying that it's only a good decision to take the bet if you win?

The result of a coin toss is purely down to chance though. You have no influence on the outcome.

Unless you have mad gravity skillz like.

You know the odds before you make the toss and you make the decision on whether or not to take the bet based on that, not on the outcome.

In the case of a player, it's a judgment call based on your opinion of his future ability within your team rather than fixed odds, but it's still a gamble. The odds on Duff being a bigger benefit to the team than defenders to the value of £5m were good in my opinion, so I thought it was a good decision to take the gamble. The subsequent failure of the gamble on Duff doesn't change the fact that I think we were right to take it. (Plus of course you're assuming the £5m worth of defenders would have been a benefit to the team and not ended up as more average players to get rid of).

it seemed like a bargain at the time, £5m for a player they paid £17m for a couple of years earlier, we weren't to know he was going to get a career threatening injury at the time. who knows how much that injury has taken out of his game? we've not seen much of him to judge, but if we got an offer around the same as we paid, we'd be daft not to think about it.

it seemed like a bargain at the time, £5m for a player they paid £17m for a couple of years earlier, we weren't to know he was going to get a career threatening injury at the time. who knows how much that injury has taken out of his game? we've not seen much of him to judge, but if we got an offer around the same as we paid, we'd be daft not to think about it.

sounds a bit like Luque.

The video's of him that did the rounds before he arrived were awesome.

then he got here, souness broke him and he turned into a useless lump that could'nt be bothered(not that he wanted to be here in the first place)

his house is lush though

Like I said earlier, I hope the new regime do their homework before buying players as I don't think we have bought very well under the previous regime. This is not just about Duff. It could be Ashley's men are no better, we'll have to wait and see.