Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

We can do better than Jimmy Bullard. He really isn't all that good. Can take a decent free kick and is funny, not much else really. Yeah he'd improve our squad but personally speaking I would rather we put our effort in elsewhere and get someone better than him in, such as Aimar. That said I'd rather we get someone younger than Aimar but I'd be happy if we got him in for a fair price.

....is a good player and better than anybody we have in midfield.

Would you sign him over Aimar?

No, I'd risk it on Aimar for £7m.  Think he could do a good job for us.  Would help him having a fellow Argentine in the team too in Spiderman Jonas.

We can do better than Jimmy Bullard. He really isn't all that good. Can take a decent free kick and is funny, not much else really. Yeah he'd improve our squad but personally speaking I would rather we put our effort in elsewhere and get someone better than him in, such as Aimar. That said I'd rather we get someone younger than Aimar but I'd be happy if we got him in for a fair price.

:lol:

Jimmy Bullard is S***!! F***'s Sake!

Would offer more on the pitch than Barton, Geremi and Emre based on last seasons performances.  Isn't that what we need? someone contributing more on the pitch? our free kicks and corners were poor last season too from what I saw, so regardless if we get Bullard or Aimar, we need someone who can take better set pieces.

Bullard would be a good signing for a club like Sunderland, i.e, a place no top player would dream of going.

I think Bullard would be a good squad player for a mid-table team, which realistically is what we are and have been for the last 4 years (i.e. us finishing 14th, 7th, 13th and 11th).  I think Bullard would contribute more than any of the below in our team.

Smith (shit)

Barton (jail)

Emre (fitness)

Geremi (legs gone)

Butt (can't pass forward)

I don't think Bullard is a player for anyone who is top 6, but for a team needing more players who can actually contribute to a game, I think Bullard is ok if the fee is £3m or less.  Of course, plenty of other options out there, but think he doesn't deserve a shit tag so easily.

Guest Sniffer

Joey Barton's shown himself to be a far superior player to Bullard.

Aye, in a prison 5 a side game

Aimar would get my pulses running for sure. Would like to see this one come off, obviously his form has not been great recently but I would back KK toturn this around.

On form his exactly the type of player we need.

Aimar would get my pulses running for sure. Would like to see this one come off, obviously his form has not been great recently but I would back KK toturn this around.

On form his exactly the type of player we need.

Pulses? :lol:

Google news has all this for in the last day...

Aimar Set To Join Benfica

Goal.com, Switzerland - 4 hours ago

Real Zaragoza star Pablo Aimar is reportedly on the brink of completing a move to Benfica. The Argentine international has been a long-term target of ...

Toon target looks set to stay in Iberia News Guardian

all 13 news articles »

Prem Duo To Spar For Aimar

Goal.com, Switzerland - 11 hours ago

Merseyside duo Liverpool and Everton have both been linked with a move for Aimar, who is seeking a new club following Real Zaragoza’s shock relegation from ...

Daily Mail

Toon look set to pick up Pablo Aimar

First Post, UK - 7 hours ago

Newcastle look set to pick up Real Zaragoza's Argentine midfielder Pablo Aimar. Portsmouth had been in the market for the player, who will cost around £7m, ...

Newcastle attempt to nab Argentina star Aimar after Portsmouth ... Daily Mail

United target a second Argentinian New Post Leader

all 8 news articles »

Guest johny2k

how can u mention aimar's injuries and totally forget the fact bullard has played about10-15 games following an absolutely horrendous knee injury

I still don't understand that bit from the agent about waiting for Benfica's money.  Are the transfers of internationally renowned football stars really contingent on cheques clearing at the bank or something?  It still sounds to me like he's still fishing for a better offer.  I can't imagine players in the Portuguese league are on big money.  If he had his heart set on Benfica, I don't see why the deal wouldn't have gone through by now.  The Portuguese league is what happens to players who aren't wanted in England, Germany or Spain but aren't old enough/crap enough for Quatar, Japan or the USA.  It is football limbo.

in 13 pages has anyone offered an explanation of how aimar went from valencia & being "the next maradona", to zaragoza and relegation (right?), and now to being flogged to all and sundry middling teams like us yet the price seems to be 7m?

injuries?  desire?  fall out with management? 

seems a very, very strange link for us given some of our recent history (luque for example)

He's very inconsistent and very injury prone. Simple as that really.

ah, oh dear, oh deary me...it was years ago i remember him being good (under cuper i think, or benitez's early seasons)

christ on a bike, hope this is one of the links that the press are totally making up, i really do

Maybe so but that goes with Dyer as well and he was one of our best players anyway. And Aimar should be only half of Dyer's wages so I'm quite willing to take the risk is that's our only possibility for a decent playmaker who can open up opponents defences...

Maybe so but that goes with Dyer as well and he was one of our best players anyway. And Aimar should be only half of Dyer's wages so I'm quite willing to take the risk is that's our only possibility for a decent playmaker who can open up opponents defences...

for 7m?  rather we spent that on an up and comer in the same position - seems you're guaranteed neither fitness nor form from aimar (i know only one person has said that but his recent descent suggests it's probably accurate)

Just copied this from this mornings Journal looks like we are doomed if we were after him at all.

Aimar, was linked with a move to Tyneside yesterday but his agent Gustavo Mascardi ended those rumours by revealing that his client is set to sign for Benfica.