Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

His agent saying he is now in talks with one English club that is not Everton this a day after saying he was going to Benfica could well be the agent using us to get Benfica to offer more

Maybe ... or maybe we have stepped up our interest after the agent used Benfica to get us to firm up our offer.

:coolsmiley:

I hope so :thup:

Believe the hype man!

Aimar is coming.

"We need players to set the team alight"

Wish someone would set your computer alight.

Imagine the response three years ago if someone from the future told us that Newcastle fans would be dissapointed at the idea of signing Aimar for £7m.

'How are you doing that?' would probably be my response.

His agent saying he is now in talks with one English club that is not Everton this a day after saying he was going to Benfica could well be the agent using us to get Benfica to offer more

Maybe ... or maybe we have stepped up our interest after the agent used Benfica to get us to firm up our offer.

Believe the hype man!

Aimar is coming.

:whistle:

Believe the hype man!

Aimar is coming.

I killed you once Verlaine ... don't make me have to do it again.

Go back to the pits of hell to where I sent you biatch.

Sorry, but... what?

AS saying benfica have upped their bid for Aimar to €8.8m to match ours, and that Rui Costa (now benfica's sporting director) has flown into a resort just outside of Zaragoza to finalise the deal.

could be we were just used to get more money.

Nixon's drivel: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/07/16/exclusive-newcastle-to-sign-argentine-ace-pablo-aimar-89520-20645388/

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan is set to sign Argentine star Pablo Aimar in a sensational £7million deal - the biggest signing he has made since returning to St James' Park in January.

Keegan was given the allclear to get the skilful forward last night after his transfer negotiators struck a deal with Spanish club Real Zaragoza under the noses of Portsmouth, Sunderland and Benfica.

Aimar, 28, a Keegan-type attacker, was close to joining Benfica yesterday but decided he would like to come to England when Newcastle met the asking price and cleared his route.

Agents working for Aimar are due to fly in today and close the deal, with the Argentinian likely to follow soon after to have a medical.

He was a rising star in Argentinian football and one of the top talents around in his time with Valencia, but the Zaragoza move has not worked out - and now they are selling.

Keegan has been working on a tight budget and lost out on some targets - with this move coming after he ran into hitches trying to land Switzerland midfielder Gokhan Inler as Serie A club Udinese refused to play ball.

But signing Aimar, a player with the type of talent that the Newcastle fans adore, makes up for a lot of disappointments and also boosts owner Mike Ashley's standing after recent talk of selling up.

The deal, first revealed on June 3, is also a feather in the cap of Newcastle wheeler-dealers Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez who pulled off the coup along with Spanish 'expert' Jeff Vetere.

and AS vis Babelfish:

Meanwhile, mid-afternoon yesterday seemed secure the handover of Aimar at Benfica but at the last minute came the offer from Newcastle's official 8.8 million and everything changed.  The Saragossa agreed upon the operation and the representative of Aimar was preparing to immediately close a deal with the English club. However, the Portuguese press revealed throughout the day as the sports director of Benfica, Rui Costa, was found yesterday in Zaragoza.  Alarmed by the outbreak of Newcastle, Benfica gave him permission to raise its offer to 8.5 million.  At the end of this issue remained open talks.  And still in the air Aimar's presence today in San Leonardo Yagüe.

Guest nufc_geordie

If we could sign the Aimar of a couple of years back, there is our attacking midfielder which would unlock doors and offer plenty, is his motivation still there, I don't know, but I hope our scouting team have made sure it is.

In reality I would be pleased if we pullsed off this signing but I don't expect it to happen. Reading between the lines it seems we have been made a pawn in the game to raise Aimar's price.

If we could sign the Aimar of a couple of years back, there is our attacking midfielder which would unlock doors and offer plenty, is his motivation still there, I don't know, but I hope our scouting team have made sure it is.

In reality I would be pleased if we pullsed off this signing but I don't expect it to happen. Reading between the lines it seems we have been made a pawn in the game to raise Aimar's price.

how would that work ? i doubt benfica could outbid us on wages if we really wanted him and the fee we dont even have to outbid benfica with.

if we want him him the only way it will fall through is if we try to do it too much on the cheap.

Guest Geordie Boyo

At 28 players should be in their prime. He knows he can't hang about with the ball and has to act quick so I'm sure a player of his calibre will raise to it. Tevez was a class act in his 1st season at West Ham as are a lot of south american players. I'm sure he'll do well....I hope...!

Guest johnson293

I cant see him coming here, mainly due to the exposure the rumor has got, both our signings were kept quiet.

Yeah, but it could be a case of where/when possible the club will conduct signings out of the media, and announce them on the official site. However, I dont think it would be possible to do all transfers like that - there will always be some that leak out before.

We'll see if this ones true if/when its announced by the club, I suppose.

At 28 players should be in their prime. He knows he can't hang about with the ball and has to act quick so I'm sure a player of his calibre will raise to it. Tevez was a class act in his 1st season at West Ham as are a lot of south american players. I'm sure he'll do well....I hope...!

He was gash when he first arrived.

So was his pal.  Both have settled very well now.