Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/15/Premier-League-Newcastle-linked-with-Aimar-coup/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

Magpies make late move for Aimar

by Tom Adams, 15 July 2008

Pablo Aimar’s agent has hinted that Newcastle are now very serious contenders to sign the Argentinian star, with a proposed move to Portuguese giants Benfica seemingly stalling.

It had been expected that Aimar would move to Estadio da Luz following Real Zaragoza’s relegation and Benfica sporting director Manuel Rui Costa has made the recruitment of his potential successor as the Lisbon club’s playmaker-in-chief a top priority for the summer.

Interest from England and Greece has complicated matters though and Zaragoza are now holding out for more than the €7.5 million (£5.97 million) on offer from Benfica.

The Spanish club’s president, Eduardo Bandres confirmed: “There are offers from Portugal, England and Greece, and some more may arise because the market is unpredictable.

“We will not sell Aimar in conditions that are not favourable.”

Both Everton and Newcastle have been linked with the former Valencia and River Plate star but his agent has seemingly ruled out a move to Merseyside.

Now the Portuguese press are claiming that it is Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle who have firmed up their interest in the 28-year-old.

“We have begun to speak to an English club – not Everton – and already we have offers for the club and player,” Gustavo Mascardi told O Jogo.

Aimar was hailed as one of South America’s brightest prospects when swapping River Plate for Valencia in January 2001, and under Rafa Benitez’s guidance at the Mestalla, Aimar won the Spanish league title twice and the 2004 Uefa Cup.

Guest neesy111

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/15/Premier-League-Newcastle-linked-with-Aimar-coup/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

Pablo Aimar’s agent has hinted that Newcastle are now very serious contenders to sign the Argentinian star, with a proposed move to Portuguese giants Benfica seemingly stalling.

It had been expected that Aimar would move to Estadio da Luz following Real Zaragoza’s relegation and Benfica sporting director Manuel Rui Costa has made the recruitment of his potential successor as the Lisbon club’s playmaker-in-chief a top priority for the summer.

Interest from England and Greece has complicated matters though and Zaragoza are now holding out for more than the €7.5 million (£5.97 million) on offer from Benfica.

The Spanish club’s president, Eduardo Bandres confirmed: “There are offers from Portugal, England and Greece, and some more may arise because the market is unpredictable.

“We will not sell Aimar in conditions that are not favourable.”

Both Everton and Newcastle have been linked with the former Valencia and River Plate star but his agent has seemingly ruled out a move to Merseyside.

Now the Portuguese press are claiming that it is Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle who have firmed up their interest in the 28-year-old.

“We have begun to speak to an English club – not Everton – and already we have offers for the club and player,” Gustavo Mascardi told O Jogo.

Aimar was hailed as one of South America’s brightest prospects when swapping River Plate for Valencia in January 2001, and under Rafa Benitez’s guidance at the Mestalla, Aimar won the Spanish league title twice and the 2004 Uefa Cup.

promising stuff, who says the club aren't after players still ffs, we've probably got 5 or 6 offers for players including Arda Turan, it's up to the clubs and agents to start progressing through the moves

Pablo Aimars agent has hinted that Newcastle are now very serious contenders to sign the Argentinian star, with a proposed move to Portuguese giants Benfica seemingly stalling.

It had been expected that Aimar would move to Estadio da Luz following Real Zaragozas relegation and Benfica sporting director Manuel Rui Costa has made the recruitment of his potential successor as the Lisbon clubs playmaker-in-chief a top priority for the summer.

Interest from England and Greece has complicated matters though and Zaragoza are now holding out for more than the 7.5 million (£5.97 million) on offer from Benfica.

The Spanish clubs president, Eduardo Bandres confirmed: There are offers from Portugal, England and Greece, and some more may arise because the market is unpredictable.

We will not sell Aimar in conditions that are not favourable.

Now the Portuguese press are claiming that it is Kevin Keegans Newcastle who have firmed up their interest in the 28-year-old.

We have begun to speak to an English club not Everton and already we have offers for the club and player, Gustavo Mascardi told O Jogo.

Aimar was hailed as one of South Americas brightest prospects when swapping River Plate for Valencia in January 2001, and under Rafa Benitezs guidance at the Mestalla, Aimar won the Spanish league title twice and the 2004 Uefa Cup.

promising stuff, who says the club aren't after players still ffs, we've probably got 5 or 6 offers for players including Arda Turan, it's up to the clubs and agents to start progressing through the moves

wait a minute, we're allowed to believe the papers again are we?!  when did i miss this?  thought our deals would undetectable to the human eye now...

Guest Deep456

What the press say and what agents say are very different things.

Actually scrap that, they both talk bollocks pretty much  all of the time.

This is true. DD combine again.

I thought it was okay to believe the media if there was quotes?

depends who they're from surely?  a blood-sucking agent trying to peddle his wares to anyone who'll but wouldn't be on my list of good sources

how many times are NUFC supposed to have bid for a player only for nothing whatsoever to come of it?

a lot

Are you fucking shitting me?

Piss off.

Guest Deep456

Are you f***ing shitting me?

Piss off.

Your fired, your not my sidekick anymore.

We need a clear set of rules for listening to the media, quotes from a player are good? quotes from an agent usually bollocls?, no quotes ignore totally?

should be all or nothing for me; any quotes involving foreigner players/foreign media etc... should be totally taken with a pinch of salt imo

unless i see charlie nzog, for example, standing on the telly and saying in english "i want to leave NUFC and go to spurs" them i'm not fucking believing it!!!

We need a clear set of rules for listening to the media, quotes from a player are good? quotes from an agent usually bollocls?, no quotes ignore totally?

should be all or nothing for me; any quotes involving foreigner players/foreign media etc... should be totally taken with a pinch of salt imo

unless i see charlie nzog, for example, standing on the telly and saying in english "i want to leave NUFC and go to spurs" them i'm not fucking believing it!!!

Walking out of the stadium 10 times was enough for me.

Walking out of the stadium 10 times was enough for me.

what?

My rule is, until the bloke is standing on the steps of SJP holding up his shirt I don't believe it. Seems to work alright O0

My rule is, until the bloke is standing on the steps of SJP holding up his shirt I don't believe it. Seems to work alright O0

So you don't believe the Guthrie or Guttierez transfers yet?  :lol:

You know what I mean! :knuppel2:

To clarify, a club statement of the signing will do, through official channels :lol:

So you don't believe the Guthrie or Guttierez transfers yet?  :lol:

i know I dont, Guttierez doesn't actually exist, he's just Camoronesi with a spiderman mask

Guest icemanblue

Common sense, perhaps?