Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

I must admit I'd have liked to have signed him. It's not the end of the world and I'm heartened that we've gone for Modric and Aimar because we need a player of this ilk to push on a bit. Benfica can offer him European football and I don't blame him for choosing them tbh. Lisbon's a nice place and it won't be too much of a culture change for him either.

Good luck to him and let's keep looking for the players to fire us up the League. Keep the faith. :)

modric was admitted and made public...i find it curious that,as yet, zaragosa haven't said we made a formal appraoch. (wouldn't be a bad thing if they did...it'd firm up the idea that action is happening behind the scenes)

I've got no way of proving it but I think we were in for him. The press has written hundreds of bullshit articles this summer and I'm very cynical but I think we tried to get him at the last minute.

Might get proven totally wrong yet though. 

I must admit I'd have liked to have signed him. It's not the end of the world and I'm heartened that we've gone for Modric and Aimar because we need a player of this ilk to push on a bit. Benfica can offer him European football and I don't blame him for choosing them tbh. Lisbon's a nice place and it won't be too much of a culture change for him either.

Good luck to him and let's keep looking for the players to fire us up the League. Keep the faith. :)

modric was admitted and made public...i find it curious that,as yet, zaragosa haven't said we made a formal appraoch. (wouldn't be a bad thing if they did...it'd firm up the idea that action is happening behind the scenes)

I've got no way of proving it but I think we were in for him. The press has written hundreds of bullshit articles this summer and I'm very cynical but I think we tried to get him at the last minute.

there will be a lot of players they'll get in contact about...how much ? wages ?...nah i think we'll pass.

not saying that happened on this occasion but every interview i've read with managers (especially those out of the game)a lot more goes on than we ever know and the press actually pick up on very little,join the dots a lot to get it wrong and downright lie at other times.

there will be a lot of players they'll get in contact about...how much ? wages ?...nah i think we'll pass.

not saying that happened on this occasion but every interview i've read with managers (especially those out of the game)a lot more goes on than we ever know and the press actually pick up on very little,join the dots a lot to get it wrong and downright lie at other times.

That's fair comment mate.  :thup:

When you see a random player being linked to a random club for a random fee in a newspaper then it's bollocks but a few different sources (not the prick from blackburn) churn out the same player to the same club all on the same day then I tend to think there may be something to it. I think we went for him but it's a moot point now tbh. He's a Benfica player and we move on. :)

That's fair comment mate.  :thup:

When you see a random player being linked to a random club for a random fee in a newspaper then it's bollocks but a few different sources (not the prick from blackburn) churn out the same player to the same club all on the same day then I tend to think there may be something to it. I think we went for him but it's a moot point now tbh. He's a Benfica player and we move on. :)

I think we made an 11th hr approach. He would have been lovely.

Sad very sad, Modric, Ferdinand, Aimar there is some sort of problem with this board they don't act quick enogh to tie up deals.

this. 

Or something is wrong. But you can't say this because if you don't think the sun shines out of Ashleys arse and Fat Freddie did everything wrong, you're a naughty boy.

Something is clearly wrong, the ambition is not there, whatever. Those of us with half a brain have been saying it for ages.

Sad day.

As I read down this thread, I expect to find the majority of people condemning you for calling it like it is ............. ie the bleeding obvious.

NE5, who thought he was shite & not good enough 24-48 hours ago, will be all over him "turning us down" / us "missing out on him"

Sad very sad, Modric, Ferdinand, Aimar there is some sort of problem with this board they don't act quick enogh to tie up deals.

this. 

Or something is wrong. But you can't say this because if you don't think the sun shines out of Ashleys arse and Fat Freddie did everything wrong, you're a naughty boy.

Something is clearly wrong, the ambition is not there, whatever. Those of us with half a brain have been saying it for ages.

Sad day.

As I read down this thread, I expect to find the majority of people condemning you for calling it like it is ............. ie the bleeding obvious.

:pow:

this. 

Sad day.

aye it's a sad day when we didn't get a player we don't actually know we were after only days after a definite former target told us he didn't join cos we didn't offer enough.

this. 

Sad day.

Yawntastic.

this. 

Sad day.

aye it's a sad day when we didn't get a player we don't actually know we were after only days after a definite former target told us he didn't join cos we didn't offer enough.

any old excuse. I don't know which is the most sad. The excuses or the total lack of unwillingness to admit that so far the soopa doopa new board who would do everything so much better than the worstest board in the world have got it all spectacularly wrong.

Before anyone mentions the phrase "I told you so" how many other people have paid for the next 3 years regardless of the [lack of] optimism.

this. 

Sad day.

Yawntastic.

Deluded.

Danny Guthrie rules OK

this. 

Sad day.

Yawntastic.

Deluded.

Danny Guthrie rules OK

mike jeffrey ruled ok

this. 

Sad day.

any old excuse. I don't know which is the most sad. The excuses or the total lack of unwillingness to admit that so far the soopa doopa new board who would do everything so much better than the worstest board in the world have got it all spectacularly wrong.

Before anyone mentions the phrase "I told you so" how many other people have paid for the next 3 years regardless of the [lack of] optimism.

"Spectacularly wrong" mackems.gif

cheaper and older version of Modric. Par for the course with this board, its like turning the clock back 20 years

I'm sure that somebody somewhere will build a case for someone like Modric [whoever the f*** he is] to be a step forward for the football club and try to tell us all that shopping in this market is superior to the old board attempting to genuinely compete with the other top clubs for the top quality footballers, like the old board did

Unless of course you're a complete thick c*** who thinks that buying people a pint in a pub is preferable marketing strategy

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=17518&view=findpost&p=416148

Make your mind up.

:lol:

class

mackems.gif mackems.gif

:thup: ;D :thup:

this. 

Sad day.

can you find where i said that ?

my line has been that i'd rather take my chances with ashley than the direction shepherd was taking us (yes...for all he had done). money aint he be all as i've posted before..i'd rather keegan or agood manager with £20mill than the previous 3 with 50mill

cheaper and older version of Modric. Par for the course with this board, its like turning the clock back 20 years

I'm sure that somebody somewhere will build a case for someone like Modric [whoever the f*** he is] to be a step forward for the football club and try to tell us all that shopping in this market is superior to the old board attempting to genuinely compete with the other top clubs for the top quality footballers, like the old board did

Unless of course you're a complete thick c*** who thinks that buying people a pint in a pub is preferable marketing strategy

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=17518&view=findpost&p=416148

Make your mind up.

class

mackems.gif mackems.gif

:thup: ;D :thup:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/munkyfellover/anim/spit.gif

Before anyone gets carried away, it's more than likely this is Aimar's agent trying to get more money from Benfica. £7m for a 28yr old doesn't tie in with Ashley's current player recruitment policy of younger players so I would be surprised if there is much in it.

Are you ITK?

It was just a hunch based on previous information. Worth more than ITK sometimes.

hark I hear the sound of pennies dropping becoming louder

Shame our soopa doopa scouting system failed to get Modric before anybody had heard of him, and also after people had heard of him.

I expect the irony is lost........