Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

cheaper and older version of Modric. Par for the course with this board, its like turning the clock back 20 years

:lol:

I was actually surprised to discover he was only 28. I thought he was 31 or something.

Modric would have been nice, although his Euro 2008 was a let down for me, but we didn't get him ultimately. Doesn't make Aimar for £6 million a bad move though.

you think its funny that the club is possibly being run like it was in the 1970's and 1980's do you ?

Is missing out on Modric but signing Aimar, not a bit like when we missed out on Rooney and later on signed Owen though? Not a bad back-up at all is it?

We'll see if ManU think that Aimar is worth pursuing.....or even Spurs then.

Is missing out on Modric but signing Aimar, not a bit like when we missed out on Rooney and later on signed Owen though? Not a bad back-up at all is it?

or if man utd were after bellamy or solano before we signed them

still surprises me when people who say they supported the club during the 1970's and 1980's still fail to get this.

The conclusion is obvious

from the ever reliable mail

Newcastle want to pip Portsmouth to the signing of Pablo Aimar after the south coast club balked at the £7million asking price.

Pablo Aimar

Taking Aim: Argentina's Pablo Aimar is a target for both Portsmouth and Newcastle.

Despite their own cost-cutting, Newcastle believe they can strike a deal with the Argentina midfielder’s relegated team Real Zaragoza. The Spanish club are desperate for cash.

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan is a big attraction to Aimar, who is eager to play in the Barclays Premier League. Talks will be held over the next 24 hours.

Gotta love how there's not one mention of his move to Benfica.

aye, I thought that was supposedly almost nailed on?

Still I wouldn't be against his signing, merely because I used to be obsessed with him about 4 years ago.  It'd be the same if we signed someone like Del Piero.

still surprises me when people who say they supported the club during the 1970's and 1980's still fail to get this.

get this ??

get what ?

get this ??

get what ?

see post nr 206

I'm not explaining it again. I can't be arsed.

cheaper and older version of Modric. Par for the course with this board, its like turning the clock back 20 years

Why "board", and not "manager". Or does that go against everything since Keegan can do no wrong in your eyes. Keegan held talks with Modric and fact of the matter is, he wasn't able to attract him here...even though the board stumped up the cash.

Fact is a big club like us is acting like a small club. Thats how I see it. I saw this crap for over 20 years under the shower that ran the club down to its knees which ended with foot in the 3rd division in 1992. I think Keegan will do a good job with what he has, but ultimately unless they do something spectacularly correct to change my mind, they are going to let him - and us - down, nd fail to realise the potential that Keegan has.

Could you not make an argument that it's the other way around? The board appointed Keegan arguably based on what he did last time, ie, regarding his enthusiasm and pulling power to attract top players. Woodgate was fair enough because he came too late, but there was no excuses for not getting Modric. It's not like 15-years ago where he was up against Rioch, Souness, Evans, Hoddle, Wilkinson, Little, Francis, etc. and with loads more money than those in the top 6 or whatever, he's now up against world-class managers (Wenger, Benitez, Ramos, Scolari), and very good mid-table managers with as much money as us these days (Redknapp, O'Neill, Hughes...). It's early days yet but I'm not getting many signs at the minute that Keegan is upto competing with even those second-tier of managers for players. I hope by September 1st I've been proven wrong.

get this ??

get what ?

see post nr 206

I'm not explaining it again. I can't be arsed.

good grief NE5 what must you have been like when we signed robert and bellamy ?

Why "board", and not "manager". Or does that go against everything since Keegan can do no wrong in your eyes. Keegan held talks with Modric and fact of the matter is, he wasn't able to attract him here...even though the board stumped up the cash.

We'll see. I am going by the comments made by the current owner/chairman and the 2 managers we have had since they took over. Its not too promising, whatever you want to believe.

Aimar has been a top player, but now he is just a cheaper version of Modric. Modric didn't come. We'll see how much competition for him, and the level of it, if we seriously attempt to sign Aimar.

Fact is a big club like us is acting like a small club. Thats how I see it. I saw this crap for over 20 years under the shower that ran the club down to its knees which ended with foot in the 3rd division in 1992. I think Keegan will do a good job with what he has, but ultimately unless they do something spectacularly correct to change my mind, they are going to let him - and us - down, nd fail to realise the potential that Keegan has.

Who would you like to see the club sign?  Not being funny, just curious.  Guthrie is underwhelming and hopefully just a squad signing but Aimar would seem like a quality signing to me. 

I was actually surprised to discover he was only 28. I thought he was 31 or something.

Modric would have been nice, although his Euro 2008 was a let down for me, but we didn't get him ultimately. Doesn't make Aimar for £6 million a bad move though.

you think its funny that the club is possibly being run like it was in the 1970's and 1980's do you ?

I just think your ranting and raving is funny.

Is Aimar a good player? Yes he is. Not the best in the world and not necessarily someone everyone else is after right now, but this doesn't negate the fact that he is a very good footballer who should be in his prime at 28, and as long as we do our research to ensure he is over any injury problems etc. it's a solid move.

Funny thing is that if Everton were signing him you would be on here whinging about how the board was too cheap to even go for Aimar at a mere £6 million.

The board have siad they will go after younger players or experienced players who do not cost a fortune, so you will never be happy which is fine. That sucks for you. I'm intrigued by it all as it's a different approach and I look forward to seeing how it all plays out. It's very silly to be so certain it will end in disaster.

Could you not make an argument that it's the other way around? The board appointed Keegan arguably based on what he did last time, ie, regarding his enthusiasm and pulling power to attract top players. Woodgate was fair enough because he came too late, but there was no excuses for not getting Modric. It's not like 15-years ago where he was up against Rioch, Souness, Evans, Hoddle, Wilkinson, Little, Francis, etc. and with loads more money than those in the top 6 or whatever, he's now up against world-class managers (Wenger, Benitez, Ramos, Scolari), and very good mid-table managers with as much money as us these days (Redknapp, O'Neill, Hughes...). It's early days yet but I'm not getting many signs at the minute that Keegan is upto competing with even those second-tier of managers for players. I hope by September 1st I've been proven wrong.

eeerr..........

I hate to say this, but he was up against Alex Ferguson and K.Dalglish, both title winners. Also a title winner, was Wilkinson, Brian Little was a promising manager who won the league Cup in 1995.

Trevor Francis ? Don;t make me laugh, he's the equivalent of Bryan Robson.

I don't see your point at all, if anything its just bollocks. Its the same league as it was. Clubs are above us and have to be overtaken. Its exactly the same.

Is Aimar a good player? Yes he is. Not the best in the world and not necessarily someone everyone else is after right now, but this doesn't negate the fact that he is a very good footballer who should be in his prime at 28, and as long as we do our research to ensure he is over any injury problems etc. it's a solid move.

Funny thing is that if Everton were signing him you would be on here whinging about how the board was too cheap to even go for Aimar at a mere £6 million.

The board have siad they will go after younger players or experienced players who do not cost a fortune, so you will never be happy which is fine. That sucks for you. I'm intrigued by it all as it's a different approach and I look forward to seeing how it all plays out. It's very silly to be so certain it will end in disaster.

it isn't a different approach at all. The club has signed loads of promising youngsters in the past, this has been said dozens of times. I think people like you who make things up - obviously because you know nowt much about the history of the club - is funny.

Also that has been said dozens of times, is if you think the approach that going after young players will realise success on the cheap, you should drop a line to Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge and let them know where they have been going wrong for all these years.

Now, THAT is funny.

mackems.gif

it isn't a different approach at all. The club has signed loads of promising youngsters in the past, this has been said dozens of times. I think people like you who make things up - obviously because you know nowt much about the history of the club - is funny.

Also that has been said dozens of times, is if you think the approach that going after young players will realise success on the cheap, you should drop a line to Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge and let them know where they have been going wrong for all these years.

Now, THAT is funny.

mackems.gif

come on NE5......souness,roeder,allardyce... mackems.gif

eeerr..........

I hate to say this, but he was up against Alex Ferguson and K.Dalglish, both title winners. Also a title winner, was Wilkinson, Brian Little was a promising manager who won the league Cup in 1995.

Trevor Francis ? Don;t make me laugh, he's the equivalent of Bryan Robson.

I don't see your point at all, if anything its just bollocks. Its the same league as it was. Clubs are above us and have to be overtaken. Its exactly the same.

Ferguson & Dalglish were the two exceptions...and I meant Gerry Francis not Trevor. Little could be described as about as promising as another English manager who won the League Cup...McClaren. What exactly did Little do after that success? As for Wilkinson, great job at Leeds but the league was nowhere near as good as it is now. And how can't you see my point?!

Wenger >>> Rioch

Benitez >>> Evans

Scolari >>> Hoddle

Ramos>>>Francis

Moyes>>>Royle

Hughes>>>Horton/Ball/Reid

Clubs that are competing where we were under Keegan have much much better teams, squads, managers and finances to what they had then.

Now, THAT is funny.

mackems.gif

This is silly ...

I think it is a different approach because the priority now is younger players. Of course younger players have been brought in in the past but I don't think it has been as much of an emphasis before. We clearly won't be bringing in any players over 22/23 for large amounts of money. In other words this board won't be making a signing like the Owen one for example. There is clearly a difference. Any player 24 or older it seems will be brought in if they are very affordable so to speak. We clearly got Jonas for a very good price for example.

Certainly fits into the warts and all categorie Keegan hinted we would probably be forced to go for.

However, the Mail trash is completely irrelevant considering the fact he is all but a Benfica player and has been the last couple of days.  :rant:

I'm sure that somebody somewhere will build a case for someone like Modric [whoever the fuck he is] to be a step forward for the football club and try to tell us all that shopping in this market is superior to the old board attempting to genuinely compete with the other top clubs for the top quality footballers, like the old board did

Unless of course you're a complete thick cunt who thinks that buying people a pint in a pub is preferable marketing strategy

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=17518&view=findpost&p=416148

Make your mind up.

come on NE5......souness,roeder,allardyce... mackems.gif

:rolleyes:

You forget that Souness gained experience, adapted his approach to players ie management style and became a top boss.

mackems.gif