Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Guest want_nufc_to_be_big_club

He'd flop in England/

My thoughts too. You have to be pretty exceptional to make it as a little guy in the Premierleague and I dont think he's that good.

i.e. a Modric?

Juninho did alright

Zola also

He'd flop in England/

My thoughts too. You have to be pretty exceptional to make it as a little guy in the Premierleague and I dont think he's that good.

i.e. a Modric?

Juninho did alright

Zola also

:thup:

the Portugese press by in large is full of s***, Record claimed Benfica had signed Carlos Martins and Pongolle last week.

Carlos Martins was one of the buys of La Liga last season but doesnt get so much coverage because he plays for Recreativo. Very good attacking midfielder and was a part of Sporting Lisbon`s youth set up but fell out with the coach which is why he left. Wouldnt mind him here

Guest Heneage

Totally agree, both are decent. But it was claimed they'd signed last week, when it came out they hadn't the usual reliable record looked a bit stupid.

Good player that needs his career somewhat revived. No doubt in the guys talent.

It's the sign of a good manager if we can sign players like him and make them work. We need players like Lennon, Aimar etc who can create space for the likes of Owen.

If can sign those sort of players and get them playing, Owen, Viduka and Martins etc will thrive next season.

He'd flop in England/

i.e. a Modric?

Juninho did alright

Zola also

:thup:

The league is alot more physical now as in the players are generally much bigger, stronger and quicker than they where then.  I'm not syaing Modric or Aimar couldn't cut it but they'd have a hard job adapting and will have to think alolt quicker than there rivals or they'll be lying on their backs wondering why they can't keep the ball.

Benfica have actually offered £6m for Aimar & Ayala. Surely worth a look?

Ayala is about 35 now though isn't he?  I suppose a player/coach deal would be alright if he were interested.  Can't think of many people better for Taylor/Edgar/Tozer etc to take heed from.

Still top class though, how old's Sol Campbell?!?! I'd take him as back up any day and like you say his experience would be invaluable to the young'uns!!! And as for Aimar I think he could cut it in the Premier no bother!!

Guest geordienorway

Some guy called scotish mag on the nufcblog (I know the majority who writes on that page comes up with rubbish stories) claims that Jimenez's trip to Dubai is to discuss a move for Aimar.

Some guy called scotish mag on the nufcblog (I know the majority who writes on that page comes up with rubbish stories) claims that Jimenez's trip to Dubai is to discuss a move for Aimar.

Why meet in Dubai and not the usual chippies somewhere in North East England

Exactly will be rubbish

Juninho came to this country at the age of 22, and had the time to adapt to the League. The Beardsley point is also invalid in my opinion because he was born and raised in this country, it's the only style of football he knew. I understand that Zola came at the age of 30, but Zola was an exceptional player.

Aimar is not.

Exactly will be rubbish

:lol:

Exactly will be rubbish

:lol:

Love it.