Milner to Liverpool?

Guest Coubury

f*** me if Milner and Shola leave, we'll making Villa's squad look huge.

I doubt it.

With seven subs next season, we currently can't fill 11 starting places and a full bench (assuming that fat arsed traitor fucks off to Liverpool)

Bit harsh on Barry isn't it? :lol:

No.

People assume he's been here ages because he's turned down loads of chances to leave. Two years ago he was about to join Portsmouth, the only real bid we've ever had for him. He was on the verge of going.

Then MON arrived, told him he'd make him an England regular (lest we forget, he was nowhere near the England side for five years), and lo and behold, he does just that.

Last time I saw Barry playing, he was wearing an England shirt and a captain's armband.

Then he gets the chance to leave and go and play with his bumfriend Gerrard, so we get the pathetic initial bid released to the press by Benitez, followed by Gerrard's disgraceful "please buy him, oh and by the way, no disrespect to Villa" bullshit, and then - worst of all - when we don't bend over and accept their first offer, Barry gets his agent to do the "please let him go, he needs CL football" routine in the media.

He's treated us with no respect whatsoever, and at the first chance has decided to jump ship to the team we're allegedly trying to beat into the CL places.

I don't often agree with the "player owes club" thing, but there is no doubt whatsoever that Barry at least allows us the dignity of not getting his agent to say those things in the media, at the very least.

Certainly hasn't been handled well by anyone involved really, and has got quite messy. Mostly Liverpool's fault though, extremely outrageous behaviour by them, and it really wasn't necessary either.

Barry has always performed for Villa and has been a good servant to be fair. Probably just getting a bit anxious, as everyone around him will be telling him he should be going to Liverpool unfortunately, and he just wants to get it out of the way. Tough situation.

Fuck me if Milner and Shola leave, we'll making Villa's squad look huge.

I doubt it.

With seven subs next season, we currently can't fill 11 starting places and a full bench (assuming that fat arsed traitor fucks off to Liverpool)

Bit harsh on Barry isn't it? :lol:

No.

People assume he's been here ages because he's turned down loads of chances to leave. Two years ago he was about to join Portsmouth, the only real bid we've ever had for him. He was on the verge of going.

Then MON arrived, told him he'd make him an England regular (lest we forget, he was nowhere near the England side for five years), and lo and behold, he does just that.

Last time I saw Barry playing, he was wearing an England shirt and a captain's armband.

Then he gets the chance to leave and go and play with his bumfriend Gerrard, so we get the pathetic initial bid released to the press by Benitez, followed by Gerrard's disgraceful "please buy him, oh and by the way, no disrespect to Villa" bullshit, and then - worst of all - when we don't bend over and accept their first offer, Barry gets his agent to do the "please let him go, he needs CL football" routine in the media.

He's treated us with no respect whatsoever, and at the first chance has decided to jump ship to the team we're allegedly trying to beat into the CL places.

I don't often agree with the "player owes club" thing, but there is no doubt whatsoever that Barry at least allows us the dignity of not getting his agent to say those things in the media, at the very least.

Do you know for a fact he did this? You know what agents are like. Secondly, with no disrespect to your lot because you're a very good side but the chances are you won't make the CL in the next 2 years at least whereas Liverpool are already in it and can potentially challenge the league, I'd find it tempting. He isn't a Villa fan either is he? So it is pretty understandable if he feels it's the right time to leave in the prime of his career.

Barry has always performed for Villa and has been a good servant to be fair. Probably just getting a bit anxious, as everyone around him will be telling him he should be going to Liverpool unfortunately, and he just wants to get it out of the way. Tough situation.

I've been saying this for ages - someone will back me up - so it isnt just sour grapes, but Barry went missing for a very large chunk of this season.

I also know for a fact that at the start of this year, his agents were putting feelers out to Chelsea. He's wanted to go for a long while.

I've been saying this for ages - someone will back me up - so it isnt just sour grapes, but Barry went missing for a very large chunk of this season.

I also know for a fact that at the start of this year, his agents were putting feelers out to Chelsea. He's wanted to go for a long while.

Not saying he's been perfect, but over the years, on the whole, he has been a good player for you guys and pretty much your main man. He has been through some pretty rough patches with you lot too, and so now he is in the limelight a little bit, he might just feel it's time to try something different, especially as it seems to be a top 4 club interested in him. It's not like he is leaving to join Everton or Man City.

It is a sucky situation though, so I feel your pain brother. Be strong. Looks like you will be getting a pretty decent wad of cash for him at least.

Pennant plus cash for Milner would be too good to be true tbh. Pennant is miles better than Milner; something seriously wrong with Benitez's head if this is true.

This is someone who played Kuyt on the right wing all of last season.

There is a lot wrong with his head.

Pennant plus cash for Milner would be too good to be true tbh. Pennant is miles better than Milner; something seriously wrong with Benitez's head if this is true.

Or possibly Benny realises there's something seriously wrong with Pennant's head.

Or possibly Benny realises there's something seriously wrong with Pennant's head.

Well he will soon find out there is a lot wrong with Milner's legs.

Guest optimistic nit

he started there for holland against italy.

he started there for holland against italy.

Yeah, and he did a job like he did with liverpool last season. I respect his work ethic and the effort he puts in on the wing, but he is not a winger, not even close. If Robben or Babel were fit they would have played there instead. I like Kuyt so I'm not having a go at him.

I understand the point you're making but Pennant's also got problems and shortcomings as a player. I'm no fan of Milner particularly and i'd be surprised if this rumour actually came to pass.

Thinking more about it, as enticing an offer as it is, if getting Pennant meant diminishing any chance of going for SWP - then i'd rather just take the cash for Milner tbh. SWP > Pennant > Milner.

There's obviously something wrong with Pennant despite his ability. Similar to Barton you have to ask whether he is that good a player you would want to take on the baggage, and the answer is probably no.

i'd be surprised if this rumour actually came to pass.

is that you gandalf?

Guest optimistic nit

if we are prepared to let milner go, and don't want pennant, then it shows we must be plannning to bring in some quality in the summer, hopefully.

I agree with you, it does point to that, and hopefully we get our targeted player to replace him. SWP has been mentioned, and he would be a good upgrade.

I like Milner but he doesn't have the pace to stretch teams and lacks consistency in his crossing.

Not sure if he'll go to liverpool though, as they seem short of cash and will go for someone cheaper, or possibly keep kuyt there if we dont want pennant.

Problem is that if we sell Milner and bring in someone else we'll still only have one right sided winger.

If the Pennant stuff is true, and the Larsson stuff is true, then maybe we'll have two.

Problem is that if we sell Milner and bring in someone else we'll still only have one right sided winger.

If the Pennant stuff is true, and the Larsson stuff is true, then maybe we'll have two.

Fallen at the first hurdle? From the Liverpool Echo today, via NUFC.com:

The Reds have dismissed reports that Jermaine Pennant will be the makeweight in a player plus cash deal for Newcastle’s James Milner.

Newcastle have been in touch with Anfield officials, expressing interest in a couple of the Reds’ fringe players, but the Geordies are not interested in taking Pennant to the north east.

"There was no denial however of stories in the national press that Liverpool were interested in signing Milner..."

"Couple of the Reds' fringe players" = Crouch and Riise?