Pre season tournament?

SUPERTOON

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/60000-fans-will-follow-Toon.4159629.jp

NEWCASTLE United are set to take part in a pre-season tournament in Majorca as part of their warm-up to the new Premier League season.

United are busy tying up the loose ends before announcing their involvement in the Summer International Cup, although organisers insist the Magpies will be flying over to the Spanish sunshine island.

Newcastle will join hosts Real Mallorca, and Bundesliga teams Hertha Berlin and Hannover 96.

Hannover are late replacements for Manchester City who have cancelled their plans to head for Majorca because they have qualified for the UEFA Cup through the Fair Play League next season.

There has been no word from United yet about their pre-season plans, but unless he is overruled by Director of Football Dennis Wise, manager Kevin Keegan has admitted he is happy to take his first-team squad over for the tournament on August 1-3.

Ylan Singer, of the company organising the competition, revealed: "It is all official.

"Newcastle United will be going to Majorca along with Hertha Berlin and Hannover 96 for the competition with Real Mallorca, which will take place in the Ono Stadium.

"The two semi-finals will be on August 1, with the final and the game for third and fourth place two days later.

"We are now talking to both the German clubs and Newcastle about the distribution of tickets and details will be available soon."

The competition is already a big talking point on the island, and organisers are expecting 60,000 fans over the two days to watch the games – with the Toon Army expected to fly over in force to combine watching the football with a summer holiday.

United, of course, played competitively in Majorca in 2003-04 when they won 3-0 at Son Moix after a 4-1 first leg victory at St James's Park.

Alan Shearer scored twice, with Craig Bellamy bagging the other for Bobby Robson's side, while current Newcastle defender Steven Taylor will have fond memories of the game, having made his Newcastle debut as a late substitute for Andy O'Brien.

United are also hoping to line-up a couple of friendlies at St James's Park, and while a proposed game against Rangers has been knocked on the head because of their involvement in the qualifying stages of the Champions League, Spanish gianst Valencia are expected to be confirmed as visitors.

Keegan's home town team of Doncaster Rovers are also keen to have United down in Yorkshire for a pre-season friendly following their promotion to the Championship.

Get in!

Was a quality trip last time, I ended up in the spanish and english press wearing a sombrero and bikini with the caption 'el hooligano'. Just awaiting the confirmation before booking flights :)

unless he is overruled by Director of Football Dennis Wise, manager Kevin Keegan has admitted he is happy to take his first-team squad over for the tournament on August 1-3.

Fuck off

From .com

S-pain in the arse

Anyone who has happened to read the German FA's website since early May will have seen a news item (in English) referring to a pre-season tournament involving Bundesliga and Premier League sides.

Newcastle and Manchester City were mentioned, along with German outfits Hannover 96 and Hertha Berlin - competing for the Multi Media Sports Cup in a four team tournament at Real Mallorca's Son Moix Stadium in Palma.

However the subsequent award of a UEFA Cup place to Manchester City meant that their opening round in that competition would clash with the Mallorca event.

City then withdrew, leaving the organisers to find a replacement side - and NUFC unable to confirm their participation, for fear of possibly misleading supporters.

Unfortunately the Chronicle have now chosen to mention this, leaving fans in a dilemma over whether or not to risk booking flights before the prices increase still further.

The same source also claim that Hannover are replacing Man City when in fact they themselves publicised the event on their own website in early May.

And the dates they claim of Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd of August differ by 24 hours from information posted to German fans, whose schedule starts 24 hours before - which would make a big difference to flight bookers.

There's also a blatant attempt at sh*t-stirring in the piece by writing "unless he is overruled by director of football Dennis Wise, United manager Kevin Keegan....."

After being blamed by fans booking flights to Amsterdam last year when we wrote that Newcastle were listed by SkySports as participating in that event, we opted not to mention this Mallorca jaunt until it was confirmed 100%.

As of now, that's still the case.

So, if you want to book flights etc. for this tournament, then go right ahead - but at your own risk, not ours.

And if it all turns to dust, blame the slack-jawed old fool at Thomson House. If he was a horse, they'd shoot him.

unless he is overruled by Director of Football Dennis Wise, manager Kevin Keegan has admitted he is happy to take his first-team squad over for the tournament on August 1-3.

Fuck off

Exactly.  Everyone knows its Jiminez who has the job of over-ruling Keegan, not wise.

Guest shearer_206

Im in for this, want some confirmation before I book my flights though. Never went to the last match there though so I would have no idea on accommodation!

From .com

S-pain in the arse

Anyone who has happened to read the German FA's website since early May will have seen a news item (in English) referring to a pre-season tournament involving Bundesliga and Premier League sides.

Newcastle and Manchester City were mentioned, along with German outfits Hannover 96 and Hertha Berlin - competing for the Multi Media Sports Cup in a four team tournament at Real Mallorca's Son Moix Stadium in Palma.

However the subsequent award of a UEFA Cup place to Manchester City meant that their opening round in that competition would clash with the Mallorca event.

City then withdrew, leaving the organisers to find a replacement side - and NUFC unable to confirm their participation, for fear of possibly misleading supporters.

Unfortunately the Chronicle have now chosen to mention this, leaving fans in a dilemma over whether or not to risk booking flights before the prices increase still further.

The same source also claim that Hannover are replacing Man City when in fact they themselves publicised the event on their own website in early May.

And the dates they claim of Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd of August differ by 24 hours from information posted to German fans, whose schedule starts 24 hours before - which would make a big difference to flight bookers.

There's also a blatant attempt at sh*t-stirring in the piece by writing "unless he is overruled by director of football Dennis Wise, United manager Kevin Keegan....."

After being blamed by fans booking flights to Amsterdam last year when we wrote that Newcastle were listed by SkySports as participating in that event, we opted not to mention this Mallorca jaunt until it was confirmed 100%.

So, if you want to book flights etc. for this tournament, then go right ahead - but at your own risk, not ours.

And if it all turns to dust, blame the slack-jawed old fool at Thomson House. If he was a horse, they'd shoot him.

Nice one.  :lol:

Guest shearer_206

£190 return on Easyjet for Thurs 31st July to Tues 6th Aug.  Ideally I'd like to do a week, but it seems to hike the prices up.

I'm looking to go 31st - 4th... Easyjey (from Bristol, as I'm based in Wales) is more expensive than that for me, but BMI Baby are charging £160 return from Cardiff. Which I'm willing to pay, but I'm not going alone, any Mags in the Wales/SW area PM me if your interested in a group of us going up. I will go from Bristol if that's the easier option.

From .com

S-pain in the arse

Nice one.   :lol:

LoL, that made me laugh and it's one of those rare occassions when I agree with NUFC.COM. Wonder if this is the start of a flame war between the 2 camps, I hope so that would be funny to see.

LoL, that made me laugh and it's one of those rare occassions when I agree with NUFC.COM. Wonder if this is the start of a flame war between the 2 camps, I hope so that would be funny to see.

It's not the beginning, Oliver had a go at Biffa on one of those shite videos.

It's not the beginning, Oliver had a go at Biffa on one of those s**** videos.

Oh did he, can I find them on a popular video clip site, by any chance ?