The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

Some people on here gave him 1's and 2's out of 10. He wasn't amazing by any means but some just have a vendetta against him because it's cool to hate Shola

Just the same as the eights for Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor, then.

Ameobi is rubbish, and was rubbish against the worst team in the league.

Guest s0ftcore

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7237/ameobi03jt0.jpg

(I love days off)

Keegan never rated him.

Is Keegan = Judas in that image then? ;)

Some people on here gave him 1's and 2's out of 10. He wasn't amazing by any means but some just have a vendetta against him because it's cool to hate Shola

Yeah but come on, 1's and 2's rubbish?

I'd say he was worth a 3 of out 10 for that performance. One for managing to kick the ball in the direction of Duff in the first few minutes, one for keeping Smith out of the team and one for picking up the right coloured shirt.

Guest thommo78

I'd say he was worth a 3 of out 10 for that performance. One for managing to kick the ball in the direction of Duff in the first few minutes, one for keeping Smith out of the team and one for picking up the right coloured shirt.

he was also involved in the 2nd goal winning the ball in a tackle...So involved in 2 of our goals and unlucky not to score himself..most people would see that as a decent shift but not good enough for some it seems

he was also involved in the 2nd goal winning the ball in a tackle...So involved in 2 of our goals and unlucky not to score himself..most people would see that as a decent shift but not good enough for some it seems

He'd have had a proper assist if he was able to pass a ball into space. When was he unlucky not to score?

Years and years of demonstrating he's not good enough and still people stick up for him, it's astonishing. The guy must be fucking awesome in training, because when it comes to a matchday he struggles with the basics.

If a player is totally ineffectual (from a positive perspective), with absolutely no redeeming instances, then i'd say he's worth something like that, yeah. I gave him 3 i think because technically he did get an assist. It was one of the worst individual performances of the season, from any player, i thought. And i used to like Shola tbh.

Your right hes that rubbish hes played all his Newcastle leage games in the top flight and still has a record of a goal every 3 games

What?

I'd give him a 5/10 for being useful in fits and starts. What happened to the Ameobi we saw in the first half of the season though?

The best striker on that pitch yeterday played for us.

I just feel so sorry for that lad that he had to try and carry almost 70% of the team on his back

Oh dear.

Guest thommo78

He'd have had a proper assist if he was able to pass a ball into space. When was he unlucky not to score?

Years and years of demonstrating he's not good enough and still people stick up for him, it's astonishing. The guy must be f***ing awesome in training, because when it comes to a matchday he struggles with the basics.

So what we should just get rid? He is frustrating and unpredictable but there are other in the team who are loved for thier unpredictability and are equally as frustrating. All I'm saying (luck or not) 1 assist direct assist one good challenge to set up 2nd goal would see many other C/F's praised.

Years and years of demonstrating he's not good enough and still people stick up for him, it's astonishing. The guy must be f***ing awesome in training, because when it comes to a matchday he struggles with the basics.

So what we should just get rid? He is frustrating and unpredictable but there are other in the team who are loved for thier unpredictability and are equally as frustrating. All I'm saying (luck or not) 1 assist direct assist one good challenge to set up 2nd goal would see many other C/F's praised.

You're wasting your time, mate. The idea that Shola is crap is too well entrenched.

You're wasting your time, mate. The idea that Shola is crap is too well entrenched.

Its entrenched because weve given him season after season to improve his game and he hasnt. Hes at the age now where he either does the business or gets fucked off, If he was A.Carrols age we`d forgive him but hes had that chance and blown it.

He does have a lot to offer at times when we're struggling, but it can't be argued that he's been the most frustrating player on our books for a long, long time now.

Like Bob says, the idea that he's shite is indellible now and it's not going to shift, so for that alone I think he should be moved on.

He's not a world-beater but he's useful as a squad player when you look at him through unblinkered eyes, he is a Premiership level player but he does struggle with a lot of what you would expect to be "basics" for someone on the money he's getting. I think we're stuck with him for a while yet so we might as well support the lad as best we can. He's never going to shed his reputation though and he'll always be one of the first players who is howled at with derision, while others escape similar abuse for similar faults.

Ideally he'd have gone in the summer, for decent money.

Guest Brazilianbob

Shola just needs to get an unbroken run in the team and a few goals under his belt which will in turn breed confidence, which will then result in quality performances and more goals.

Lets not forget, he is a striker not a midfield player capable of creating his own chances, and relies on service from the midfield.  Even Shearer couldn't do it on his own (although he often did do the business for us due to his world class ability).  Shola is a bread and butter striker and I seem to recall two or three seasons back he actuall managed something like 10 to 15 goals one season and that after missing almost half the season with his hip injury.

I just feel so sorry for that lad that he had to try and carry almost 70% of the team on his back

Oh dear.

Fortuné played quite well I thought, good movement, two decent finishes and won a good % of headers.

Somebody said it above: "he's a useful squad player", yes, one that is brought on for ten minutes at the end of a match to launch high balls up to!

I can't believe people trying to make out he was any good on saturday. I haven't seen a lazier football player. The only reason he wins 50% of the headers is that he is a foot higher than the other players.

He only ever muscles other players off the ball about once a game. If he asserted himself we know he can be twice the player, it just seems he can only do this one out of ten games...

No last chances from me.

Oh dear.

Fortuné played quite well I thought, good movement, two decent finishes and won a good % of headers.

Woops, thought they were talking about Shola

he could be good,.. but he simply cant be Arsed.

This.

He needs a rocket up his arse before every game and at half time. He has the talent but just enjoys the comfort zone.

Have to agree with that.

The frustrating thing with him is that when he looks like he can be arsed (like the Villa game), then he looks half decent and a useful squad player. But unfortuntley these games are by far too few and far between.

Somebody said it above: "he's a useful squad player", yes, one that is brought on for ten minutes at the end of a match to launch high balls up to!

I can't believe people trying to make out he was any good on saturday. I haven't seen a lazier football player. The only reason he wins 50% of the headers is that he is a foot higher than the other players.

He only ever muscles other players off the ball about once a game. If he asserted himself we know he can be twice the player, it just seems he can only do this one out of ten games...

No last chances from me.

I don't think Shola is lazy. With that physique of his, he's not going to be the most mobile of players, but he gives 100% and is never afraid of taking responsibility. He saw plenty of the ball on Saturday.

As for 'he only muscles other players off the ball once a game' - I can't understand how you can say that. The one area where I don't think he can be faulted is his strength. Even the best of centre backs now find it difficult to go through him.