The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Jawesome

I don't care about how good or bad he is, the fact is Shola doesn't pick the team and all he can do is give 100%, which I believe he did tonight.

Kinnear is very familiar with the likes of Fashanu and Ekoku who are quite similar to Shola in a lot of ways and I think this has allowed him to get through to Shola. It's been great to see. Could be a solid backup target man if he is happy with such a role going into the future.

I actually think the comparison with Fashanu is a bit misleading. Yes, they're both target men, but Fashanu was just a thug who wouldn't have survived in the Premiership of today. Refs are a lot stricter and Fash the Bash was pretty useless with the ball on the deck.

Shola will conjure up one or two situations every game that you don't really expect from a tall, gangly striker. He'll go past someone or produce a really imaginative pass. That's what separates him from Fashanu.

Not so much the skill set but more the body type. I do think Kinnear has got Shola doing a bettr job of competing for aerial balls without fouling the defender everytime and also of just holding the ball up by shielding it with his body. Shola has been doing a much better job of these two things recently than ever before, and these are the things we have always needed him to do a much better job of.

Yeah, true. He's winning more in the air than he used to.

He needs to do this every week to win me over but he's a lot more mobile than I've seen him in years and he seemed to play deeper tonight with Martins picking up a lot more playing further up front.

Again, if thugs like Marlon Harewood and Emil Heskey can make a career in the Premiership just off their physique and aggression, then Shola can too.

I changed my mind, he has a future at this club if he keeps his working on his physicality and attitude.

Agree with all of the positive comments, problem is, as soon as he has an off game everyone will be on his back again. Most other players in the team would be excused that, but Shola, Duff and Nicky Butt (and very soon Taylor) will attract criticism from the crowd as soon as they have a few bad touches.

Whilst he is at the cub, trying to win a new contract, and with no better options, everyone should support him, regardless of your view on his natural ability.

still gives away too many free kicks

he was penalised for 3 last night for just standing his ground. i've said repeatedly on here that i've never known a player like him to get penalised for doing nowt and then not get anything when blatantly fouled.

Guest Darth Toon

You rarely see Villa's centre backs getting dominated like last night - the combination of Shola's physical presence and Martins' pace and trickery caused them all sorts of problems.

Signs of a possible decent partnership starting to emerge IMO, hope Kinnear sticks with them for Fulham.

Well played by Shola, held the ball and linked up well today. Only thing is, I wish he'd pick up crosses a bit earlier. He always seems to watch the ball coming into the box for a second or two before realising he has an opportunity to score with his head. He should be able to see these crosses much earlier and be running into the box attacking balls coming in.

he was penalised for 3 last night for just standing his ground. i've said repeatedly on here that i've never known a player like him to get penalised for doing nowt and then not get anything when blatantly fouled.

crouch is similar tbf.

crouch is similar tbf.

I was thinking this last night during the game.

Did well but his movement around the penalty area is woeful. He just doesn't seem to have the instincts of a striker.

Put him next to Alan Smith and he looks as instinctive as Ruud Van Nistlerooy.

Did well but his movement around the penalty area is woeful. He just doesn't seem to have the instincts of a striker.

Put him next to Alan Smith and he looks as instinctive as Ruud Van Nistlerooy.

I just realized that over the past few months, I've completely forgotten that Alan Smith plays for us.

Happy days  :snod: