Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

UNITED new boy Danny Guthrie today revealed he cannot wait to play for Kevin Keegan after already experiencing the full impact of the Magpies’ boss last season.

Guthrie, whose transfer to Newcastle was revealed yesterday in the Chronicle’s later editions, was in the Bolton side that held United to a 0-0 stalemate in Keegan’s first game back in charge.

The atmosphere inside St James’s Park that day made a huge impression on the 21-year-old Guthrie.

And after signing a four-year deal with United, Guthrie says he cannot wait to pull on the black-and-white shirt and play for the Toon Army.

He told the Chronicle: “I remember the atmosphere in that game in January being amazing.

“It was a really special occasion for the Newcastle United fans because Kevin Keegan was back as manager. The fans were just unbelievable.

“Kevin is a legend and it is going to be very exciting for me to see what I can learn from him.”

Guthrie made 25 appearances for the Trotters last term as he helped guide the Reebok Stadium club to safety while on loan from Liverpool.

He didn’t net in the Premier League, but smashed home a wonderful volley for Bolton at Fulham on his debut at Craven Cottage in the 2-1 win in the Carling Cup.

And speaking on his experiences with Gary Megson’s side, Guthrie added: “I learned a lot playing in the Premier League for Bolton last season and I expect more from myself next season.

“I cannot wait to get started. I just want to do well for Newcastle.”

United insist the deal does not mean James Milner will be heading for the exit door this summer.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/07/12/guthrie-my-joy-at-joining-the-toon-72703-21329765/

Oh my god he spoke to the Chron!!!!!

NEWCASTLE United new boy Danny Guthrie will be a great signing for Kevin Keegan.

That’s the verdict of former Magpies star Gary Speed, who played alongside the 21-year-old last season in Bolton Wanderers’ midfield.

While he may not be the big-name signing Toon fans have been hoping for, Speed reckons he will prove to be a good acquisition for United.

The former Welsh international said: “Danny is a very good player and he will be a great signing for Newcastle.

“I know because I played with him at Bolton last season in the same team and he did very well.

“He did take a little bit of time to settle into the team but he is still a young player.

“And once he was in the team he stayed there and became a regular.

“He did well once he was in despite Bolton struggling.”

Guthrie spent the campaign on loan at the Reebok Stadium, making a big impression with many Bolton fans in his 25 appearances.

He is a central midfielder but has also played wide right during his fledgling career.

Speed knows Bolton wanted to keep Guthrie and admits fans at the Reebok will be disappointed to see him join a rival Premier League side.

He added: “The Bolton fans took to Danny straight away and they wanted the club to sign him from Liverpool.

“I think the Newcastle fans will like him too.

“He’s energetic and an honest lad. He should do really well.”

Guthrie is originally from Shropshire and has starred for England at youth levels.

He made just three appearances for Liverpool including a start in the Champions League when the Reds played against Galatasaray on a night that ended in a 3-2 defeat in Istanbul.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/07/12/new-boy-will-make-his-mark-at-united-72703-21329766/

I think a lot of the misunderstanding is due to the fact that people have different views of how we should build a good squad as quickly as possible (which IMHO we do need to as we are losing ground and have been for a few years). There is a camp that look at our current squad and conclude it is both small and not very strong. The best way to get it up to scratch is by buying some (doesn´t even have to be more than 3 or 4) very good players and move current first teamers to be squad players (the likes of Butt, Geremi, Taylor). There seems to be another camp that wants us to build from the ground up and don´t seem too concerned about the timing aspect (doesn´t have to be this upcoming season) as long as we slowly move in the right direction.

In my mind, the second approach would suit a club with limited financial means and a good manager. In my opinion we are a club with a good manager that should be able to compete financially, like we have done for years and especially now we have a billionaire owning the club. I just don´t quite understand why we are taking chances on players who haven´t shown as far as I am aware extraordinary potential or quality unless we really need to. Luckily, we all seem agreed we need better quality transfers before the window shuts, so here´s hoping it happens and I can read my own posts back and laugh at my own impatience. For now though, I haven´t seen much to suggest that will happen. You can point at the club keeping its cards close to its chest and claim we don´t know anything, but I will point out that they have played their first two cards on the table already, and I have yet to be impressed.

I'm impressed enough signing a current Argentinian international at a good age, wether he works out in the EPL or not will be the final test.

I would love it if he somehow turned out to be a lot better than we currently give him credit for.

I would like to think EVERY Newcastle fan would want that.

Well obviously. I just can't foresee him being more than a squad player at the present time but I'd happily be proved wrong.

I would love it if he somehow turned out to be a lot better than we currently give him credit for.

I would like to think EVERY Newcastle fan would want that.

Well obviously. I just can't foresee him being more than a squad player at the present time but I'd happily be proved wrong.

I share the same sentiments; he's was chronically average for bolton but given his age, the price and the wage packet he'd be on i suppose it's not the end of the world if he isn't exactly a roaring success here at our club.

Sure it's an uninspiring (squad-filling most probably) buy, but  some of the the knee-jerk reactions from the usual suspects are absurd and bordering on pathetic.

Yes I'd start to worry if all our signing are of this calibre, but knowing keegan's ambition, i'm quietly confident that we'll have a decent enough team ready by the start of the season.

You mean he played for Bolton last season and Liverpool didn't really want to keep him?

Not good enough. Let's write him off despite never seeing him play for us and having the rest of his career ahead of him...

Been away for 4 days and i come back to us signing Danny Guthrie..typical Newcastle ruining the fun, although again the way the deal was then is class  :thup:

Squad player imo, nothing more really..out squad is really thin and we need youngsters like him to add to it

People saying hes pretty much shit already, give the lad a chance ffs.

We all said sibierski was shite...

Also i thought Keegan got the best out of nearly everyone? So give him a season or two with Guthrie before commenting. Good luck to him.

People saying hes pretty much shit already, give the lad a chance ffs.

We all said sibierski was shite...

Also i thought Keegan got the best out of nearly everyone? So give him a season or two with Guthrie before commenting. Good luck to him.

He was man. :lol:

People saying hes pretty much s*** already, give the lad a chance ffs.

We all said sibierski was s****...

He was man. :lol:

Star of the UEFA Cup 06/07 tbh :lol:

If Guthrie 'does a Sibierski', then he'll have done very well.

The dictionary definition of 'doing a Sibierski' being: to massively overachieve, while performing way above expectations.

So, if we signed Ronaldo and he 'did a Sibierski', he'd become the greatest player the world has every known, scoring 100 league goals in the process... if you get me.

I don't know why i'm even bothering continuing with this analogy tbh. It takes silly to new depths.

The dictionary definition of 'doing a Sibierski' being: to massively overachieve, while performing way above expectations.

So, if we signed Ronaldo and he 'did a Sibierski', he'd become the greatest player the world has every known, scoring 100 league goals in the process... if you get me.

I don't know why i'm even bothering continuing with this analogy tbh. It takes silly to new depths.

What in god's name are you on about? :lol:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=43685.0 :thup:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=43685.0 :thup:

:lol: I was actually thinking "fuck, i sound drunk" when i was typing it out. I'm really not. Hey ho. :undecided:

Needless to say, the James comparison hurts more.

Sibierski wasn't great by any stretch, but he was certainly a player who outdid his expectation by a ridiculously high margin. The reaction when we signed him man. :lol:

I think I was one of about three who gave him a chance.

Sibierski wasn't great by any stretch, but he was certainly a player who outdid his expectation by a ridiculously high margin. The reaction when we signed him man. :lol:

I think I was one of about three who gave him a chance.

Then you were as deluded as the other two. After constant talk of the likes of Kuyt and Klose all summer, people were darned right to be fucked off when Antoine Sibierski came in to replace Alan Shearer. :lol:

Disclaimer: I know, Sibierski wasn't a direct replacement for Shearer.