Newcastle & Everton interested in Orlando Engelaar - skysports.com

Guest michaelfoster

Guest michaelfoster

Everton and Newcastle are both interested in Dutch star Orlando Engelaar, Skysports.com can confirm.

But German side Schalke are close to sealing a deal for the Twente midfielder and the Premier League clubs will need to act fast if they want to sign him.

Speaking exclusively to Skysports.com, Engelaar's agent Eduard Burleson confirmed the interest from England - but admitted talks with Schalke are at an advanced stage.

"We have spoken with Schalke and terms have been agreed," Burleson told skysports.com.

"But the two clubs have not agreed yet, and so that is where we stand on that.."

English interest

Burleson admitted that English interest was now getting stronger and that 28-year-old Engelaar could very well be keen on a move to the Premier League.

"I know Everton are interested and that Newcastle could soon make a move," he continued.

"He chose to speak to Schalke, firstly because there was not any interest from England at the time and also because of the coach Fred Rutten [former Twener coach now at Schalke] - who was so good for him at Twente.

"But if does not work, it is now clear could be English options."

Burleson admits Engelaar's performances in Euro 2008 - where he has started every game for the Dutch - have made a number of club sit up and take notice.

"Orlando has taken his form from Twente straight into the national side and continued at the same level," he said.

"I think for this reason a number of clubs have suddenly realised what many of us already knew, that he is a very good player."

"I know Everton are interested and that Newcastle could soon make a move," he continued.

Oh fuk, Newcastle almost about to do something, brace yourselves...and he's gone.

Guest shearer_206

How does 'Newcastle could make a move' become 'Newcastle interested'?

I wish agents would fuck off, money-grabbing liars.

This

Another name linked, what's that now? about 300 players ffs. I dont think he has enough pace for the Prem anyway. Looked good in Euros but that doesn't mean a lot tbf.

He's looked decent because he's always had Van der Vaart or Sneijder to pass to after he gets it, he can't pass it further than 10 yards. Rather get Altintop

I'm sure Altintop is perfectly happy playing at Bayern Munich tbh.

I'm not sure about Engelaar, to buy a player based only on internationals is a bit dodgy.

Would rather look elsewhere certainly think there are better options

Who've you got in mind?

Diarra from Bordeux

Huddlestone

Even move Faye in there

Havent seen enough of Engelaar to know wether he would be better

Guest sondre

Yet you 'certainly think there are better options'...

Yes i think the 3 i mentioned would be better options from the little i have seen of him

you got a problem like?

I do. You propose pure shite compared to Engelaar. You complain about Engelaar's passing, and suggest Faye as a better option?

Engelaar is good, but hasn't De Jong been doing the same job? He's 5 years younger as well.

Maybe we can buy a bit cheaper on transfer fee? it might be also presuming good defensive midfielder always rated when their age 28 - 35.

this latest news just show how he is money grabber... but as long as he's done the job i wouldn't mind of that....

Guest sondre

Engelaar is good, but hasn't De Jong been doing the same job? He's 5 years younger as well.

Maybe we can buy a bit cheaper on transfer fee? it might be also presuming good defensive midfielder always rated when their age 28 - 35.

this latest news just show how he is money grabber... but as long as he's done the job i wouldn't mind of that....

Who isn't?

Yet you 'certainly think there are better options'...

Yes i think the 3 i mentioned would be better options from the little i have seen of him

you got a problem like?

I do. You propose pure s**** compared to Engelaar. You complain about Engelaar's passing, and suggest Faye as a better option?

were did i complain about his passing?

It would be far harder to sign De Jong imo, he is considered the backbone of the team at HSV by some.

I did mention Engelaar in the summer targets thread the other day and personally think he would be a great addition to the squad.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=50015.msg1359162#msg1359162

Some interesting responses.

I watched him quite closely tonight because of the alleged interest, and can't say he did anything that makes me want to see him in our team. Obviously it's only one game but I wasn't terribly impressed with him.

It would be far harder to sign De Jong imo, he is considered the backbone of the team at HSV by some.

I did mention Engelaar in the summer targets thread the other day and personally think he would be a great addition to the squad.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=50015.msg1359162#msg1359162

Some interesting responses.

Is that an 'I told you so' post already?