Udinese 'categorically deny' Inler negotiation reports

Guest microbar

Guest Robert 32

Good news, hopefully we've got this deal Inler bag.

You can Gok Han jump of a bridge for that one!  O0

:lol:

Just found this pre Euro 2008 interview with him:

Gökhan Inler, the Swiss who plays for Italian team Udinese, is primed for one of the deciding tournaments of his career.

The mid-fielder tells swissinfo about his new life in Italy and his thoughts ahead of Euro 2008.

"Inler ... Inler ... kicks ... and scores!" One of the many fans watching Udinese's afternoon training session from behind a metal fence is imitating a sporting commentator to make his friends laugh.

Two days earlier the Swiss player of Turkish origin had indeed scored a brilliant goal with his left foot that gave his side into the lead against Fiorentina. Udinese eventually won the match 3-1.

"To tell you the truth, it's been a long time since we've done so well in Serie A," said one fan.

Inler's performance has not gone unnoticed. La Gazzetta dello Sport, the so-called "pink bible", awarded him an excellent score of 7.5 (eight and above is rare) saying: "The best player on the field, another discovery by Giampaolo Pozzo [the Udinese president]. Gökhan Inler, bought for the equivalent of a slice of bread, is worth millions."

If certain Italian sports journalists are to be believed, it would cost SFr10-15 million ($9.6-14.4 million) to prise the Swiss from Udinese Calcio, where his contract runs until 2012.

Commitment

So how does Inler keep his feet on the ground when faced with such a chorus of praise and interest from prestigious clubs such as Juventus and Barcelona? And especially appearing in the same team as Italian national players such as Quagliarella and Di Natale?

"You have to give your all to football, focus on your work and don't rest on your laurels. Every day is a new challenge, you have to invest deeply in it," he says. "I've always followed this course of action, right from the start of my professional career."

Inler acknowledges that even though the level of play is already relatively high in Switzerland, the task is even more demanding in Italy.

"The media are even more present and the pressure is really strong. In addition, Italian football requires major commitment, you have to continuously seek perfection," he says.

"Within this context, it is essential to be able to step back and find the necessary peace to maintain your private life. My girlfriend and I chose to live outside town – this gives us a certain solitude and tranquillity."

Inler, a Muslim, adds: "I don't usually go out; I don't drink or smoke. In my free time I prefer to stay at home and play with my two dogs and stay in contact with my family and friends in Switzerland. That's how I recharge my batteries and stay focused."

He says he always tries to be friendly and available for supporters and journalists, even after a defeat and if his performance was not up to scratch.

Focus

When considering the main differences between the Swiss and Italian leagues, Inler says the latter require being ready at tactical as well as physical levels.

"In Italy, the smallest error immediately results in a goal by the opposing team," he said.

In town the euphoria is palpable among the fans, and Inler says some are already dreaming of the Champions League. "The players shouldn't let themselves be carried away by speculation – instead we have to concentrate on the next match."

Seconds later a fan congratulates him and asks what he's doing after our interview.

"I'm going to chill out at home," Inler replies in Italian.

"But how can you go home after such a goal?" another man jokes.

"I'm going to play with my dogs," Inler replies with a smile.   (Uh-oh)

Guest Robert 32

Believe it when i see it.

Blessed are those whom have not seen, and yet believe.

stupid are those who believe every press rumour

The rumour that he is a good professional, which I assumed Wullie was replying to? Hardly front page news.

The rumour that he is a good professional, which I assumed Wullie was replying to? Hardly front page news.

pretty sure wullie was refferring to his transfer to us as opposed to his professionalism.

Guest Robert 32

pretty sure wullie was refferring to his transfer to us as opposed to his professionalism.

I assumed, due to a lack of a quote to a post earlier in the thread, he was referring to the post immediately above. Doesn't really matter anyway.

Guest shearer_206

I thought he looked pretty average myself, but then he was playing in an average team. So I could be wrong. Looks to have had a good season behind him at club level with Udinese. So I suppose he could be worth a go. But in the words of Wullie 'Will believe it when I see it!'

Guest Daishi

He looks like a good player. He does look quite aggressive though, I don't know how he would deal with that coming to the Premiership.

An aggressive, turkish born player?  Aren't we in the process of offloading one of those?

Finger's crossed that we get him though.  We need bodies in, and this guy looks quite promising.

He looks like a good player. He does look quite aggressive though, I don't know how he would deal with that coming to the Premiership.

Aggressive? Do you mean his style of play, or what exactly?

Not sure we'd be including this on our 'transfer talk' page on .co.uk if it were imminent.

I'm pretty sure the guy who does the website is just an employee of the club and isn't kept informed on our transfer dealngs. Therefore he's probobly just told to go through the papers and put what he sees on the website. Then when deal is done he'll be told to post it on the website.

I would never condemn nor worry about a player with drive, which he certainly does have, but he does have a reputation for his aggressive attitude both on and off the ball. He committed 100 fouls in 37 league appearances last season, a similar ratio to our beloved Alan Smith. Have a look at this on youtube, from when he was in the Swiss League, ''Agression d'Inler''.

I watch Juventus and Udinese whenever I can, and saw Inler play 3 or 4 times last season, as well as a couple of times in Euro 2008. He does get pissed off and frustrated, although, he is still young. He can tackle hard when necessary, he can pass, dribble well and importantly in a 4-3-3, cover a lot of ground. Basically, he's an upgrade of Alan Smith.

He was regarded as the best player in the Swiss squad by many and has even been dubbed the ''best foreign player in Serie A''. He's a box to box midfielder who will work his socks off, as exhibited in Euro 2008. I'm very excited about this potential signing and if it's true we've met the release clause then we've got a top midfielder next season.

I would never condemn nor worry about a player with drive, which he certainly does have, but he does have a reputation for his aggressive attitude both on and off the ball. He committed 100 fouls in 37 league appearances last season, a similar ratio to our beloved Alan Smith. Have a look at this on youtube, from when he was in the Swiss League, ''Agression d'Inler''.

I watch Juventus and Udinese whenever I can, and saw Inler play 3 or 4 times last season, as well as a couple of times in Euro 2008. He does get pissed off and frustrated, although, he is still young. He can tackle hard when necessary, he can pass, dribble well and importantly in a 4-3-3, cover a lot of ground. Basically, he's an upgrade of Alan Smith.

He was regarded as the best player in the Swiss squad by many and has even been dubbed the ''best foreign player in Serie A''. He's a box to box midfielder who will work his socks off, as exhibited in Euro 2008. I'm very excited about this potential signing and if it's true we've met the release clause then we've got a top midfielder next season.

My bollocks in a pair of vapours is an upgrade on smith!

asked about him on a Udinese forum about this abilities/type of player he has etc

Inler is a Vieira type of player. Great tackler, above-average technique, good passer, likes to be in the middle of things, good shooting, very consistent, never injured, doesn't get many cards and he will develop into a real leader. As a swiss and Udinese-fan I really think he will be one of Switzerland's greatest midfielders of all time.