Llambias: sale stories are all utter nonsense

Optimistic Nut

I think that both the people who take these rumours as fact, and also the people who insist that Ashley couldn't possibly be in it for money are both as silly as each other.

Fact is we have seen no proof either way of his intentions yet and there is no point worrying about it as we have no control.

Apart from an private equity firm that  deals in sports (mainly broadcasting) saying they were approached, there is no proof what so ever.

Bit ironic coming from you, NE5.

what's your point ?

Just saying I've asked you questions that you didn't bother answering in the past and I know plenty of others have to.

Allardyce was given money to spend by Ashley, was he not?  So it's not like he's never thrown the odd coin or two around already.

Err, no he wasn´t, not really anyway.. He mainly had to fund his acquisitions by selling players.Net spend so far on the playing staff (transfer fees) over a one year period has been well under 10 million, which is quite low considering what clubs around us have spent..

fact

Maths not your strong point, eh?

Enlighten me..

I think that both the people who take these rumours as fact, and also the people who insist that Ashley couldn't possibly be in it for money are both as silly as each other.

Fact is we have seen no proof either way of his intentions yet and there is no point worrying about it as we have no control.

If he does end up just being in it to double his money then I think he's a total fucktard, not because he's in it for the money but because he got in the stands and pretended he cared about the club.

Also... the 'old board' stuff is so boring, can people please move on?

I'm not too sure that many people think he's not in it for the money just because we don't all see this or these stories that are coming out this week as being true.  I don't doubt for one minute that he'd sell the club for a random price of £420 million to a random company in America, what I doubt is that he contacted them and named that price.

We've seen an offer of £320 million being mentioned, I think he'd probably sell the club for that if he was after a quick profit and he'd be mad not to take the money and run.

As for him pretending to care for the club, he might actually care about the club for all we know, he certainly looks as if he does.

Bit ironic coming from you, NE5.

what's your point ?

Just saying I've asked you questions that you didn't bother answering in the past and I know plenty of others have to.

Allardyce was given money to spend by Ashley, was he not?  So it's not like he's never thrown the odd coin or two around already.

Err, no he wasn´t, not really anyway.. He mainly had to fund his acquisitions by selling players.Net spend so far on the playing staff (transfer fees) over a one year period has been well under 10 million, which is quite low considering what clubs around us have spent..

fact

Maths not your strong point, eh?

Enlighten me..

Fact is that we were spending average sized transfer fees, and allowing a significant increase in our wage bill when it wasn't certain that Dyer was leaving. Dyer's departure helped balance the books, but our investments were clearly not dependent on that, hence our net spend was much less than what was actually possible.

Apart from an private equity firm that  deals in sports (mainly broadcasting) saying they were approached, there is no proof what so ever.

Had you heard of said media firm before Friday?

Lets say they want to move into the British market.

What better way to get your name into the mainstream press than talks over 'buying' a football club?

Even if Ashley denies it (again), their aim is accomplished

How does the phrase go?  "no smoke without fire"?  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

Ashley has probably leaked this to the press to raise the clubs profile in America to attract a buyer.  :lol:

Guest johnson293

Thats some conflict of interest in the Bin Laden household. One puts up buildings, the other brings them down

Or a fantastic business model - one brings them down, so the other can get the work re-building them again!!  :pow:

Our net spend was still £10m so I don't see why there's a problem. The net spend is pretty much what we've spent for the past 10 years so surely the irony isn't lost on all the people who said 'we spent fuck all'? If we spent fuck all last year, we've spent fuck all in the past 10 years.

Granted, it isn't as simple as that because of inflation of nominal money value and the inflation of transfer fees in general, but even in the year before Ashley bought the club, we spent something like £9m (from quickly perusing .com's transfer history).

So, £9m net spent in 2006, £10m spent in 2007. If you complain about 2007, surely you should complain about 2006 as well, amirite?!

Chlorophyll? This is fucking borophyll. I hate these threads.

What better way to get your name into the mainstream press than talks over 'buying' a football club?

Yep, to quote the BBC article:

It is not known who made the approach to InterMedia.

There are many other people who might approach InterMedia about this and not be a club employee. Someone perhaps who wants to buy us but needs the money.

If he does end up just being in it to double his money then I think he's a total fucktard, not because he's in it for the money but because he got in the stands and pretended he cared about the club.

Also... the 'old board' stuff is so boring, can people please move on?

I'm not too sure that many people think he's not in it for the money just because we don't all see this or these stories that are coming out this week as being true.  I don't doubt for one minute that he'd sell the club for a random price of £420 million to a random company in America, what I doubt is that he contacted them and named that price.

We've seen an offer of £320 million being mentioned, I think he'd probably sell the club for that if he was after a quick profit and he'd be mad not to take the money and run.

As for him pretending to care for the club, he might actually care about the club for all we know, he certainly looks as if he does.

I agree.  Strange to seek out buyers to ask for a silly price too.  Mind you they were American  :cheesy:

Apart from an m that  deals in sports (mainly broadcasting) saying they were approached, there is no proof what so ever.

No but I have read about them rather run them down or make up imaginary scenarios.

Do private equity firms seek out press via mainstream media.

There are many other people who might approach InterMedia about this and not be a club employee. Someone perhaps who wants to buy us but needs the money.

Good of you to repeat the point I made about 15 posts ago (but without the patronising use of large fonts).  Thanks  :thup:

Good of you to repeat the point I made about 15 posts ago (but without the patronising use of large fonts).  Thanks  :thup:

So we argee that someone representing NUFC or talking about buying NUFC has spoken to the this yankee company?

So we argee that someone representing NUFC or talking about buying NUFC has spoken to the this yankee company?

Yes, I think those 2 scenarios are possible, or there are others such as a corporate finance company looking to make a deal happen.  If it did happen, I think it's more likely that it was a match maker than someone representing Ashley however.  It could just as easily be bollocks from the press mind you, there seem to be plenty of people out there spreading malicious gossip about us these days.

Guest sicko2ndbest

EXCLUSIVE: Bin Laden family in bid for Newcastle

By Daniel King (Daily Mail)

A wealthy construction company run by the family of terrorist Osama bin Laden has emerged as a shock front-runner to buy Newcastle United, a source with links to the club claimed last night.

The Saudi Binladen Group, whose chief executive is Osama's half-brother, Bakr bin Laden, and which was founded by their father, Sheikh Mohammed bin Laden, is said to be considering a £300millionplus deal to buy the club and then carry out a lucrative redevelopment of St James' Park and land surrounding the ground.

Although the Bin Laden family publicly distanced itself from the founder of Al-Qaeda years before he claimed responsibility for the September 11 atrocities in 2001, any takeover would be football's most controversial yet, as well as taking the number of foreign-owned teams in the Premier League to 10, or half of England's biggest clubs.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has been dogged by rumours, always denied, that he wishes to sell the club ever since his takeover just over a year ago.

However, last night a private investment company from America, InterMedia Partners, confirmed reports that they had been approached by a third party about buying the club

Despite Newcastle describing reports that Ashley had quoted them a price of £420m as 'absolute nonsense', the Americans' statement said: 'InterMedia was approached about a deal, made no offer and has no interest.'

But the most astonishing development is the suggestion that a firm connected to the world's most wanted terrorist could be interested in buying the club.

Although the offices of SBG in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, were open yesterday, there was no one in authority available to comment on the speculation.

Last night a spokesman for Ashley would say only: 'No comment.'

Osama bin Laden made his fortune after inheriting shares in SBG when his father died in 1967 but the revocation of his Saudi citizenship in 1994 means he has since, in theory, been unable to access any assets in the country.

The stigma of the name would be an embarrassment to the Premier League.

But a large multinational company like SBG would pass the 'fit and proper person' test which last year waved through Manchester City owner, Dr Thaksin Shinawatra, despite allegations of human rights violations while he was Prime Minister of Thailand.

Representatives of the company are believed to have been in Newcastle in recent weeks for preliminary talks and to examine in detail the site's potential for transformation into a huge retail, leisure and luxury accommodation development.

In April last year, just weeks before selling his shares to Ashley, then Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd unveiled blueprints for a £300m revamp of St James' Park, which included raising the capacity by 8,000 to 60,000, plus luxury flats, a hotel and a conference centre.

But SBG's plans are even more ambitious and, because of complications related to the location of the metro station which serves the ground, even include the possibility of knocking down the iconic stadium and building a new one on the outskirts of the city.

The report of SBG's interest is a stunning end to a typically dramatic week at the club, with midfielder Joey Barton receiving a suspended jail sentence for assaulting former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo and the confusion over links with Inter- Media and the alleged £420m price tag.

But at a more realistic price around the £300m-mark, SBG is understood not to be alone in being attracted by the prospect of combining the kudos of owning a Premier League club with a major property play.

Preliminary interest from Indian billionaire Kumar Mangalam Birla is said to have cooled, but the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority are still thought to be in the running.

In charge of the Abu Dhabi ruling family's massive oil wealth, ADIA is the richest investment fund in the world with assets worth hundreds of billions of pounds under management, including a stake in New York's famous Chrysler Building - by strange coincidence the location of InterMedia's head office.

Ashley is said to have had the chance to walk away with a £30m profit within weeks of his purchase when a Far East consortium came knocking.

At the turn of the year, it is understood that his brokers, Kaupthing, mentioned while discussing other business with representatives of Dubai International Capital, that a minority stake in Newcastle might be available.

DIC politely declined, not because they wanted to own the whole club, but because the only team they are interested in buying is Liverpool.

Our net spend was still £10m so I don't see why there's a problem. The net spend is pretty much what we've spent for the past 10 years so surely the irony isn't lost on all the people who said 'we spent fuck all'? If we spent fuck all last year, we've spent fuck all in the past 10 years.

Granted, it isn't as simple as that because of inflation of nominal money value and the inflation of transfer fees in general, but even in the year before Ashley bought the club, we spent something like £9m (from quickly perusing .com's transfer history).

So, £9m net spent in 2006, £10m spent in 2007. If you complain about 2007, surely you should complain about 2006 as well, amirite?!

how did you get a net spend of 10m?

i added up 24.7m paid out, and 21.2m coming in, so an overall spend of 3.5m. sunderland, in comparison, had an overall spend of 36m, over ten times our figure. taking into account the added tv money arriving i hope to see better. i'm not criticising ashley as the time to make a definitive judgement is sept 1st but he's done nothing so far and has everything to prove this summer. in this window we havent made a big cash transfer yet, so he has a lot of work to do this next two months.

EXCLUSIVE: Bin Laden family in bid for Newcastle

By Daniel King (Daily Mail)

A wealthy construction company run by the family of terrorist Osama bin Laden has emerged as a shock front-runner to buy Newcastle United, a source with links to the club claimed last night.

The Saudi Binladen Group, whose chief executive is Osama's half-brother, Bakr bin Laden, and which was founded by their father, Sheikh Mohammed bin Laden, is said to be considering a £300millionplus deal to buy the club and then carry out a lucrative redevelopment of St James' Park and land surrounding the ground.

Representatives of the company are believed to have been in Newcastle in recent weeks for preliminary talks and to examine in detail the site's potential for transformation into a huge retail, leisure and luxury accommodation development.

In April last year, just weeks before selling his shares to Ashley, then Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd unveiled blueprints for a £300m revamp of St James' Park, which included raising the capacity by 8,000 to 60,000, plus luxury flats, a hotel and a conference centre.

But SBG's plans are even more ambitious and, because of complications related to the location of the metro station which serves the ground, even include the possibility of knocking down the iconic stadium and building a new one on the outskirts of the city.

The report of SBG's interest is a stunning end to a typically dramatic week at the club, with midfielder Joey Barton receiving a suspended jail sentence for assaulting former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo and the confusion over links with Inter- Media and the alleged £420m price tag.

But at a more realistic price around the £300m-mark, SBG is understood not to be alone in being attracted by the prospect of combining the kudos of owning a Premier League club with a major property play.

More mischief making?

All this, the same week Newcastle bought a player without the press knowing about it, and the same week the national media attended Kevin Keegan's plane press conference, only to be told that Newcastle United were off the agenda.

:lol:

I'd love it if the Bin Laden family  bought the club.

mackems.gif

We'd certainly pick up some new fans.  If we could play a team owned by a prominent Israeli we could play out the middle eastern conflict through the game of football  :cheesy:

i don't even think nufc own the land SJP is built on. at least it didnt a few years ago and i don't remember any news announcing a change.

They dont but they do/did own the land/car parks next to the metro station.

i don't even think nufc own the land SJP is built on. at least it didnt a few years ago and i don't remember any news announcing a change.

They dont but they do/did own the land/car parks next to the metro station.

they do, but i was referring to the 'plans' to knock down the stadium for a property development. not sure how the freemen of the city would feel about that...

:lol:

I'd love it if the Bin Laden family  bought the club.

mackems.gif

We'd certainly pick up some new fans.  If we could play a team owned by a prominent Israeli we could play out the middle eastern conflict through the game of football  :cheesy:

If other fans gots their knickers in a twist about Bowyer and Barton playing for nufc they'd fucking explode if the Bin Ladens bought us. 

how did you get a net spend of 10m?

i added up 24.7m paid out, and 21.2m coming in, so an overall spend of 3.5m. sunderland, in comparison, had an overall spend of 36m, over ten times our figure. taking into account the added tv money arriving i hope to see better. i'm not criticising ashley as the time to make a definitive judgement is sept 1st but he's done nothing so far and has everything to prove this summer. in this window we havent made a big cash transfer yet, so he has a lot of work to do this next two months.

I've got about £25m going out, and £15m-ish coming in (all from .com's transfer history). That's up until the time Allardyce was sacked.

The TV money is a good point, but surely that's dwarfed by the fact that it was evident that the board didn't trust Allardyce, and didn't want to be hasty in sacking him (since they didn't know much about how things should be run). They did sack him in the end - bad timing and all but who would criticise that decision now? What has to be considered is that they wouldn't allow Allardyce to spend lots of money because firstly, the debt had to be repaid, and secondly, they didn't trust Allardyce enough.

You are correct in saying that they need to show their intent this summer and I'm quietly confident that come September 1st, many of us who have urged patience and trust will be smiling.