Llambias: sale stories are all utter nonsense

Optimistic Nut

Guest Dr. Richard Kimble

Had to laugh when someone phoned today and told me the Sun's headline re the Bin laden bollocks:

WOR ON TERROR

heh heh he .. and watch out for the next Fox News Special with Sean Hannity and the 'Radical Stronghold' at St James' and the Jordi Jihad threat to democracy and freedom.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

i believe there is something in this, however i pray to god there isnt, as im a huge ashley fan

Guest DazzaNufc1892

Look on the bright side, at least the city would never be a target for terrorists :lol:

nah just an american nuke and half of israel

i believe there is something in this, however i pray to god there isnt, as im a huge ashley fan

Ashley is in it for the long haul, was told today he has been having a good laugh about the stories all weekend (my boss is mates with his chief purchaser (Pete somebody))

(disclaimer - no one in their right mind would turn down say £500m for the club but Mike is definitely not looking to sell)

Fair report from The Times

Mike Ashley is in for long haul at Newcastle

Club's managing director swift to reject claims of impending takeover from relative of bin LadenJason Mellor

The intriguing prospect of Kevin Keegan working as an employee of the bin Laden family, or talk of Newcastle United being run from the iconic Chrysler Building in New York, have been strongly rejected by the club, who insist that Mike Ashley remains a fully committed club owner.

Newcastle responded yesterday to speculation over their future by issuing a firm denial about claims that Ashley is keen to sever his ties only 14 months after finalising a £137million takeover. Suggestions that the Saudi Binladin Group, which is headed by Bakr, the half-brother of Osama bin Laden, the al-Qaeda leader, is preparing to bid £300million for the club, or claims that InterMedia Partners equity fund, based in Manhattan, has been sounded out regarding its willingness to pay more than three times the sum Ashley invested in May last year have been dismissed as “nonsense”.

“At a time when everyone at Newcastle United is working hard to prepare for the new season, it's annoying that we have to continually correct inaccurate stories,” Derek Llambias, the managing director, said yesterday. “Whoever's putting these stories around is clearly trying to destabilise the club and you wonder what their motives are.”

Ashley has taken a more hands-on approach since the arrival last month of Llambias, after the departure of Chris Mort as chairman. Llambias said: “By putting a new management structure in place, by investing in new signings at first-team and academy level and by introducing cheaper tickets for younger fans, the long-term commitment and vision for Newcastle United is there for all to see. Those actions speak louder than any words and I'm sure supporters see these stories for what they are - utter nonsense.”

Related Links

Newcastle dismiss Bin Laden claims

Ashley facing test of Tyne

Newcastle United dismiss sale claims

Hopes that Joey Barton retains of an early release from a six-month prison sentence for assault have failed to materialise and the midfield player was not among those who reported for pre-season training yesterday.

Pleased with these denials today.  Should put the whole charade to bed. Until the next round of tabloid fabrications

also means if we don't deny in future the line will be "there must be something in it if they aren't denying it"

should've said nowt

Can't win to be fair.  People were saying we needed a denial already. This was necessary imo

after a while of no reaction the press will stop if they see it is having no effect (that should go for the fans aswell)

Pleased with these denials today.  Should put the whole charade to bed. Until the next round of tabloid fabrications

also means if we don't deny in future the line will be "there must be something in it if they aren't denying it"

should've said nowt

That's the flip side of things and you're right about not denying things in the future will imply that it's true in the eyes of the press.

I just think that the shit printed over the weekend was the straw that broke the camel's back. The point had arrived where someone had to say something. Call it a tipping-point or whatever but the rumours have been getting more frequent and more ridiculous by the day.  :undecided:

Can't win to be fair.  People were saying we needed a denial already. This was necessary imo

after a while of no reaction the press will stop if they see it is having no effect (that should go for the fans aswell)

Exactly, the press only keep coming back because we bite every single time.

Look on the bright side, at least the city would never be a target for terrorists :lol:

nah just an american nuke and half of israel

Bit more spice added whwn we play Spuds!!!!And will the twin towers be safe if we get to Wembley???I know they aint there any more but it sounded funny to me.

I guarantee even if we never hear another thing about these supposed takeovers the commentators covering our matches on Sky and the BBC this season will say something like ".....of course their was talk of a takeover in the Summer" as if it was fact.

The Sun is to blame for most of this shit but most of the tabloids are pretty close to stooping so low ,i personally have never bought The Sun since the Hillsborough tragedy and dont intend to in future .

Exactly, the press only keep coming back because we bite every single time.

I'm not sure that's entirely true, to be honest. They'll write whatever ludicrousness they want to sell papers; but once you've brought the paper or read the story, it's a success for them, regardless of whether you believe the story or not. Plus you have to factor in some other things, such as other fans being interested in trouble at other clubs, and the fact that a great proportion of the human race is just stupid.

Have said before that Murdoch's outfits have it in for NUFC and have had since we ran MUFC so close for the title on 1996 - nearly all negative publicity comes from them and I feel this is linked to Murdoch having had shares in Man Ure ; he may feel he can take Man U over one day and although we are no threat to them at this time(and look unlikely to be one in the foreseeable future), the paranoia about NUFC as a potential threat to them, probably because of our crowd potential, seems to have remained.

Also, wouldn't rule out mischief-making from the previous regime, which would find a willing aid in Newscorp...

I have no idea why the press hate us to be honest, at the moment we're not considered a rival or a threat by any of the top teams, so I can't see any reason to constantly have a go at the owners, fans etc.

I've often thought that I might just be paranoid about this and that I notice more negative stuff because its my team, but I've got mates who say that they have noticed it as well, and not just in the red top arse paper.

I think we're kidding ourselves though if we think that Rupert Murdoch has some sort of grudge against NUFC. Best guess is just old fashioned bias by the individual column writers themselves, and perhaps bad press management by the club - I think its pretty obvious that clubs who "leak" stories to the papers will often get something back in the way of being able to influence the other stories that are written - its unlikely that a sports editor will sanction overly critical articles against a club who is providing a steady flow of insider comments - thats maybe why there's less bad things written about Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. which makes us notice more about our club.

Todays mail funnily enough has no mention of our complete denial of their Sunday story about the Bin Ladens bidding for us.

In fact, one of their columnists still says "they made a bid".  What a waste of space, might have to send him an email when I get home.  They all seem to overlook the fact that BOTH partys denied it. Useless cunts

I have no idea why the press hate us to be honest, at the moment we're not considered a rival or a threat by any of the top teams, so I can't see any reason to constantly have a go at the owners, fans etc.

I've often thought that I might just be paranoid about this and that I notice more negative stuff because its my team, but I've got mates who say that they have noticed it as well, and not just in the red top arse paper.

I think we're kidding ourselves though if we think that Rupert Murdoch has some sort of grudge against NUFC. Best guess is just old fashioned bias by the individual column writers themselves, and perhaps bad press management by the club - I think its pretty obvious that clubs who "leak" stories to the papers will often get something back in the way of being able to influence the other stories that are written - its unlikely that a sports editor will sanction overly critical articles against a club who is providing a steady flow of insider comments - thats maybe why there's less bad things written about Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. which makes us notice more about our club.

I think there is something in the Murdoch thing.

Think back to 96-97 time, Murdoch trying to buy Man Utd, we are their number one rivals.

Which paper was the fake sheik from - the NOTW, owned by none other than Mr Murdoch. Since then we've made ourselves an easy target for him to sell papers with, so why wouldn't he continue with a negative spin on the Toon?