Where were you?

Tooj

At the moment Shearer's signing was announced? When it was announced that Cole was leaving?

I still remember Gary Lineker reading out Shearer's signing on Olympic Grandstand or something of similar ilk back when Atlanta '96 was on. Obviously being thoroughly overjoyed at the time.

When Cole was sold I remember the caretaker at school running in every class room announcing it, absolutely trashed at the time, never believed him at first until I went home and read it in the paper.

With Andy Cole I was told by a dinner lady at school. Everyone knew I adored him so I thought it must have been a wind up. Came home to see it was true and cried. :lol:

I was on holiday on the south coast when Shearer signed, can't remember the specific moment though.

Shearer:I was at a castle in Ibiza. My one & only trip with the ZaNeY 18 to 30 crowd, even though I paid for 2 weeks of fun with these tossers.  Some fat holiday rep announced it on the mic, I can still hear him now "I would just like to announce Alan Shearer has signed for Newcastle for a world record fee".  My mate Foz was in Velcro suit sticking to wall at the time. The last day of the holiday we got humped in that charity shield game by the ManUre

Cole: At work on the Belmont Idust Estate in county Durham. Phone calls were made to confirm it was true, a radio was brought in to the office. To be honest work stopped for about a day & half as we debated the reason why would KK do this & to who was coming in.

Guest Spark

Same as you, Tooj. Watching the Olympics when Lineker announced it. Brilliant stuff. Can't remember where I was when Cole was sold, like.

cole: at school, again the caretaker came round and told the class's. i was fucking gutted. the big rumour at school the next day was le tissier and signed.

shearer - red house farm shops, dont know why, rang me dad at the phone box to tell him 'bollocks, no chance' was his reply.

Guest cfhpantera27

was away at the coast with the family when Shearer signed, the next day i cut the picture from the back page of the paper out and stuck it on the cover of one of my school books, ..sad lol

i remember throwing a tantrum and ripping down a huge Andy Cole poster off my wall when he left..  :blush:

also i remember one of the dinner ladies telling me that Keegan had left, she took great pleasure in doing so to, the bitch  :angry:

Can't remember much else about the day Shearer signed than being in the living room standing in front of sky news or something watching it over and over. I broke the news to my dad when he came later!

Cole: I was at school when one of the lads in our class told everyone Cole was leaving, I was absolutely gutted.

Shearer: I'm pretty sure I was in the house for that one.

Keegan left on my birthday :lol:

sure this has been done before......shearer signing......

...i was in kardemena with the wife to be when one of a big group of lads from washington announced it round the pool, he was a bit of a joker but something in his voice told me different. grabbed all the change i could muster and off to the phone. rang a couple of mates but both at work, rang my mam who heard nowt, rnag back half an hour later after she'd listened to metro news and then it was only a strong rumour. lad at the pool confirmed it via his source 4pmish,confirmed on the world service sports news at 8pm. stripes on for that night and a party atmosphere was had by all.

mates are still pissed off i found out before them from a couple of thousand mile away.

listened to the reception thing via the world service sat on the balcony 8pm the following night with echoes of "shearer" ringing from differing parts of the resort.

Guest BooBoo

Andy Cole was sold on my birthday but when Shearer's signing was announced i was having some supper in Corfu when on holiday with my family. I think it was on CNN after all the Olympics, and American Sports news. We were tantalised with "Coming up after the break, Soccer's Alan Shearer is a £15million man, but who's he joining?" Of course we thought Man Utd but was brilliant when they announced it was us.

Shearer:  This was back in the days of relying on the ceefax for up to date news, which had been full of Shearer to Manure stories the previous day, it looked like a formality. I can recall sitting down for my breakfast, putting the text on and nearly choking on my cereal when the main headline was "Shearer signs for Newcastle"

The day he was offically unveiled was the day my son was born. Was hoping to get to the ground with the other thousands that turned up only to get a call in the middle of the night to say that my mrs had gone into labour the selfish cow.

Cole: On a newspaper board on the way home from work. Pleased it was on the way home because if it'd had been on to work I don't think much would have got done that day. Was an awful feeling that, similar to what I felt when Keegan quit :(

I was watching Olympic Grandstand too early in the morning when Lineker announced Shearer had signed.  Still got the image in my memory bank of Lineker sitting behind the desk dishing out the good news.

Some lass at school told me Cole had signed for Man U.  We told her to shut up stupid girl who knows nowt about football, that would never happen etc etc.. :blush:

:lol:

Shearer : I was working in Hetton-le-Hole just outside of Sunderland putting a CCTV tower up with a fellow Newcastle fan. It came over on the radio and we were dancing around in the field like idiots. Bought a Sunderland Echo that dinner time which had the immortal headline "Oh no, Look who the Mags have signed!".

Cole : Was working in a printers in town when it came on the radio, absolutely gutted. The funny thing was, I was in the Director's Lounge for the Blackburn cup game with a mate, and we had talked to Alex Ferguson and Martin Edwards who were having a drink a the bar. Didn't really think anything of it at the time, but obviously they were there to do the deal.

When Shearer signed I was working for a firm in Sunderland with a Makem season ticket holder boss. He had been taking the piss all day saying why should he come to us when he could go to man u . Was great when it came on the radio to say he had signed.

I was lying in bed having a wank when my old man shouted up the stairs "SHEARERS SIGNED FOR THE TOON"

Needless to say I then emulsioned the ceiling which saved me doing it days later with the roller.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif