So who could we sign that would pacify you?

Dave

Giles Barnes if we're going for youth..........

Would be worth a punt. Bit worried by his injuries but being a toon fan any player who has had a papercut would make me nervous.

Lol I know what you mean, I'd be a bit pissed if we got another emre, how much do you recon to buy Branes I heard we made a cheeky 2million offer a while ago and it was understandably turned down

No idea, would be anywhere between £3.5m - £22.5m given how this transfer window seems to be going :D

That's a "never" then.

Btw you've just described one:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/350/robertnew2wf1.jpg

and we paid £10m for him seven years ago and he was f***ing brilliant.

You've also described David "tug tug tug" Bentley as well. And Andrei Arshavin.

Arsenal reject went to a lower league club and came here for less than £2 million.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4953/andycoleeg1.th.jpg

Exactly the type of signing we need to be looking for.

We have no chance of getting players that played at Euro 2008 (unless they were s****) and young british players who are already being talked about in the press (like that lad from Cardiff that Arsenal signed).

Somehow we have to get lucky and unearth a couple of gems (Rob Lee is another of this type) then we can push on and in a couple of season become an attractive propostion for the better known talent

Geez, and they call us, the ones calling for a bit of ambition, doom mongers. After reading that I think we've all got it the wrong way around.. The people in the positive mood camp are not positive at all, they are mentally prepared for mediocrity.. On a more serious note, we are still a very attractive Premiership club and many players would jump at the chance to join us, no matter how much Shitteam will have you believe otherwise. It's just a matter of the people in charge of the club showing the required level of ambition in attracting new players, i.e. ones that will allow us to move forward..

How were Andy Cole and Rob Lee mediocre ?

I didn't say that, did I? I refered to your 'we have to get lucky and unearth a few gems' mentality.. Err, we are not Hull City you know, we are Newcastle United. We have a big name, a good reputation and a billionaire owner, hence I think we can afford to set our sights a little bit higher than attracting relative nobodies for pennies in the hope that they turn out to be the next Rob Lee or Andy Cole. Capiche?

That's a "never" then.

Arsenal reject went to a lower league club and came here for less than £2 million.

We have no chance of getting players that played at Euro 2008 (unless they were s****) and young british players who are already being talked about in the press (like that lad from Cardiff that Arsenal signed).

Somehow we have to get lucky and unearth a couple of gems (Rob Lee is another of this type) then we can push on and in a couple of season become an attractive propostion for the better known talent

Geez, and they call us, the ones calling for a bit of ambition, doom mongers. After reading that I think we've all got it the wrong way around.. The people in the positive mood camp are not positive at all, they are mentally prepared for mediocrity.. On a more serious note, we are still a very attractive Premiership club and many players would jump at the chance to join us, no matter how much Shitteam will have you believe otherwise. It's just a matter of the people in charge of the club showing the required level of ambition in attracting new players, i.e. ones that will allow us to move forward..

I didn't say that, did I? I refered to your 'we have to get lucky and unearth a few gems' mentality.. Err, we are not Hull City you know, we are Newcastle United. We have a big name, a good reputation and a billionaire owner, hence I think we can afford to set our sights a little bit higher than attracting relative nobodies for pennies in the hope that they turn out to be the next Rob Lee or Andy Cole. Capiche?

Capiche ??

I am leaving this conversation now.

That's a "never" then.

Capiche ??

I am leaving this conversation now.

Arrivederci! ;)

The best player playing in Africa atm would be a great boost to our midfield, but at 29 he may not fit in with our current plan & as he has never wanted to play abroad as of yet, so may not fancy it...........DAVE..........I give you Mohamed Aboutreika

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Aboutrika

That would do for starters.

That wikipedia article is awful! :)

Whoever wrote it needs to get a room with this bloke

Its unrealistic and highly unlikely but David Bentley would send out all the right signals for me

I agree and I'd like to see us in for him especially if it's a battle between Villa and Spurs. Unfortunately I think he's got ideas above our station now, and will probably see those two as better bets.

This. We need to make a signing that the above two are in for, because all of the signals I'm getting this summer are that we're a mile behind even these two clubs when it comes to where players would sign.

Exactly. As you can see though, even Dave is resigned to losing out on a player if it comes to a 3-way fight between those clubs and us, which is incredible and would have justly been laughed off a mere few months ago.

How exactly am I 'resigned to losing out' on him? I said I'd like to see us in for him, but that he may well see those other clubs as better bets than us right now, er, because they are.

If you think that's 'incredible' and 'laughable' then it explains why you're not satisfied so far - you clearly feel we can get the most sought-after players with ease regardless of our current standing.

Any comments on my post about Park btw?

Its unrealistic and highly unlikely but David Bentley would send out all the right signals for me

I agree and I'd like to see us in for him especially if it's a battle between Villa and Spurs. Unfortunately I think he's got ideas above our station now, and will probably see those two as better bets.

This. We need to make a signing that the above two are in for, because all of the signals I'm getting this summer are that we're a mile behind even these two clubs when it comes to where players would sign.

Exactly. As you can see though, even Dave is resigned to losing out on a player if it comes to a 3-way fight between those clubs and us, which is incredible and would have justly been laughed off a mere few months ago.

How exactly am I 'resigned to losing out' on him? I said I'd like to see us in for him, but that he may well see those other clubs as better bets than us right now, er, because they are.

If you think that's 'incredible' and 'laughable' then it explains why you're not satisfied so far - you clearly feel we can get the most sought-after players with ease regardless of our current standing.

Any comments on my post about Park btw?

I said it wouldn't be easy to attract players off my list didn't I? You are resigned to losing out saying these other clubs are better bets. Has Shitteam taken over your account Dave? They are clubs of a similar stature as ours and as long as we are prepared to offer the wages he would deserve and maybe Spurs and Villa can't afford we would have a very good chance of signing him as long as none of the top 4 come in for him.. Not even moving for players with the potential to immediatly improve us and instead signing players below our level in the blind hope that they will somehow be gems is exactly what's wrong with us this summer transfer window so far.

Re Park and you painting him with the same brush as Smith and Guthrie, well what can I say? You evidently don´t rate him as highly as I do, which was always bound to happen with a few players if you ask me to draw up a list of possible targets. Was that why you were so desperate for me to conjure up a list, so you could pick one or two holes in it discussing players you don´t rate and I do. Ah well, if you insist Park was one of the best midfielders in the CL for two seasons running not so long ago and fully deserved his big transfer move to one of Europe´s biggest clubs at a time when Chelsea was also extremely interested. At Manchester United the incredible competition for places means he is not an automatic starter, but not many players would be.  Still, he has played in 83 games for them in 3 seasons, so Ferguson certainly seems to rate him as a good squad player at their level. I feel he would improve our first team significantly.

Que the Alan Smith used to play good in Europe a decade ago and played for Manchester United too brigade. Well, with him I knew he was a mistake when he joined us, as a lot of us did. This is what I said when we signed him http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=43382.msg942959#msg942959

I'd say we need a stronger spine to the team. I think:

CB - Cuellar

CM - Huddlestone (cue all the disapproval but i think he fits in brilliantly. young, strong, good passer etc)

CF - Ideally Gomis, failing tat the Swiss kid

I think we just have enough to see us through to Jan if we get these three in or other in these postions.

CB - Cuellar

CM - Huddlestone (cue all the disapproval but i think he fits in brilliantly. young, strong, good passer etc)

I think we just have enough to see us through to Jan if we get these three in or other in these postions.

Can't see Huddlestone leaving now.

Zarate's gone to Lazio I think.

Oh well, in that case another illustration of my point about needing to move early..

what for a player we might not even have been interested in? could move as fast as you like but we still might not even have been interested in signing him

CB - Cuellar

I think your spot on the whole of the middle needs bolstering with strength, physicality & of course a bit skill would be nice.

Wouldn't mind us taking a look at Malbranque

I've always liked Malbranque, but he isn't the sort of player that will go down well with most fans on here.  Being tagged a "Spurs reject" means you rank lower than rapists, paedophiles and even Alan Smith.

Shame as I wouldn't have minded seeing us look at Jamie O'Hara either.

I said it wouldn't be easy to attract players off my list didn't I? You are resigned to losing out saying these other clubs are better bets. Has Shitteam taken over your account Dave? They are clubs of a similar stature as ours and as long as we are prepared to offer the wages he would deserve and maybe Spurs and Villa can't afford we would have a very good chance of signing him as long as none of the top 4 come in for him.. Not even moving for players with the potential to immediatly improve us and instead signing players below our level in the blind hope that they will somehow be gems is exactly what's wrong with us this summer transfer window so far.

Are you even reading my posts? If Bentley can't join a top four club, he goes to the one(s) who look most like breaking into that group next season. Do you honestly think we're as close to the CL spots as Everton, Villa, Spurs* etc? Are we fuck. Of course we'd have a chance though, I never said we wouldn't. Again you're putting words into my mouth saying I'd be resigned to losing out and comparing me to that fucktard shitteam. How exactly do you know we're not moving for players like Bentley anyway? Because the clueless press haven't mentioned us? See my other thread - looks to me like they don't have the fucking foggiest about what we're planning.

*I think last year they finished in a false position - unlike us.

Re Park and you painting him with the same brush as Smith and Guthrie, well what can I say? You evidently don´t rate him as highly as I do, which was always bound to happen with a few players if you ask me to draw up a list of possible targets. Was that why you were so desperate for me to conjure up a list, so you could pick one or two holes in it discussing players you don´t rate and I do. Ah well, if you insist Park was one of the best midfielders in the CL for two seasons running not so long ago and fully deserved his big transfer move to one of Europe´s biggest clubs at a time when Chelsea was also extremely interested. At Manchester United the incredible competition for places means he is not an automatic starter, but not many players would be.  Still, he has played in 83 games for them in 3 seasons, so Ferguson certainly seems to rate him as a good squad player at their level. I feel he would improve our first team significantly.

The competition for Guthrie is pretty decent at Liverpool too you know, that's why they can afford to let him go. I just don't see how if we'd only signed Gutierrez and Park at this point you'd be so much more convinced than with Gutierrez and Guthrie.

Are you even reading my posts? If Bentley can't join a top four club, he goes to the one(s) who look most like breaking into that group next season. Do you honestly think we're as close to the CL spots as Everton, Villa, Spurs* etc? Are we f***. Of course we'd have a chance though, I never said we wouldn't. Again you're putting words into my mouth saying I'd be resigned to losing out and comparing me to that fucktard shitteam. How exactly do you know we're not moving for players like Bentley anyway? Because the clueless press haven't mentioned us? See my other thread - looks to me like they don't have the f***ing foggiest about what we're planning.

*I think last year they finished in a false position - unlike us.

The competition for Guthrie is pretty decent at Liverpool too you know, that's why they can afford to let him go. I just don't see how if we'd only signed Gutierrez and Park at this point you'd be so much more convinced than with Gutierrez and Guthrie.

Dave, you don't seriously think that Guthrie as a player is anywhere near Park's level yet do you?

I think you're just trying to make the point that the pessimists wouldn't have been any happier even if we had signed Park as opposed to Guthrie?