So who could we sign that would pacify you?

Dave

You'd have to be a mentalist to not move from a club like Bolton to a club like Chelsea when given the chance..

Depends whether you give a toss about actually playing or not I suppose.

He had been playing before hadn't he..? If it was just about playing he would have signed a new contract with Bolton. He went away to move up in the world and he did. Take Guthrie, are you saying he shouldn't have signed for us when we offered him a contract, because he is not likely to figure in the first team much next season? Should he have gone to Fulham because they would have probably guaranteed him a first team place, or did he make the right decision to come here and take a chance?

You'd have to be a mentalist to not move from a club like Bolton to a club like Chelsea when given the chance..

He had been playing before hadn't he..? If it was just about playing he would have signed a new contract with Bolton. He went away to move up in the world and he did. Take Guthrie, are you saying he shouldn't have signed for us when we offered him a contract, because he is not likely to figure in the first team much next season? Should he have gone to Fulham because they would have probably guaranteed him a first team place, or did he make the right decision to come here and take a chance?

I reckon Guthrie will get a lot more chances than Ben Haim has at Chelsea.

I honestly think it doesn't matter who but more how much.

If Jonas came for £12m some would have been happier.

Absolute nonsense and you know it.. Now a top class player for 12 million and we would be having a different debate..

same goes for sidwell,parker and SWP. if they have any faith in their ability they have to take the chance.

Fulham have the best central midfielder in the whole of Europe though ???

I reckon Guthrie will get a lot more chances than Ben Haim has at Chelsea.

We will see, but if he does indeed you have to wonder if we as a club are moving in the right direction..

Absolute nonsense and you know it.. Now a top class player for 12 million and we would be having a different debate..

Not at all, I am certain. Ok Guthrie costing more wouldn't have made a difference but not everyone/very few will have seen a whole lot of Jonas so if we forked out £12m people would have gotten a lot more excited than the "undisclosed" (ie probably fairly low) fee that we will have paid.

Chelsea - some of the best players in the league if not the world in Ben Haim's position.

Newcastle - Geremi, someone currently in jail, Butt, er...Smith?

Spot the difference.

Sorry but its an absolute fact.  Incidentally how much have you seen of him?

Chelsea - some of the best players in the league if not the world in Ben Haim's position.

Spot the difference.

I thought you were convinced we were going to be bringing in some first team players for the midfield?

Bolton and Chelsea weren't his only options.

I know it's being judgemental of people... but i don't know how you can deny that the wage he was gonna get was pretty high on his agenda when he went to Chelsea. He didn't have a hope in fuck of being first choice there. And, sorry, but in my opinion it's a load of shite about him wanting to learn off Carvalho and Terry. He was already a very established player; and those two aren't tutors.

If Chelsea had offered him Bolton wages then he wouldn't have gone, i'm fairly sure of that. Same for Sidwell and Reading.

I know it's being judgemental of people... but i don't know how you can deny that the wage he was gonna get was pretty high on his agenda when he went to Chelsea. He didn't have a hope in fuck of being first choice there. And, sorry, but in my opinion it's a load of shite about him wanting to learn off Carvalho and Terry. He was already a very established player; and those two aren't tutors.

If Chelsea had offered him Bolton wages then he wouldn't have gone, i'm fairly sure of that. Same for Sidwell and Reading.

Gareth Barry nd liverpool as well imo

Spot the difference.

I thought you were convinced we were going to be bringing in some first team players for the midfield?

I am pretty convinced, yeah. Do you think Keegan told Guthrie that when trying to get him to sign? :lol:

In any case, they're still not going to be the midfield equivalent of Terry and Carvalho, are they?

Spot the difference.

I am pretty convinced, yeah. Do you think Keegan told Guthrie that when trying to get him to sign? :lol:

In any case, they're still not going to be the midfield equivilant of Terry and Carvalho, are they?

Why not, thats what we should be aiming for.  Do they want to compete or not etc etc etc

I know it's being judgemental of people... but i don't know how you can deny that the wage he was gonna get was pretty high on his agenda when he went to Chelsea. He didn't have a hope in f*** of being first choice there. And, sorry, but in my opinion it's a load of s**** about him wanting to learn off Carvalho and Terry. He was already a very established player; and those two aren't tutors.

I think it's fair to say we would have been and probably were willing to pay them at least the same wages Chelsea do considering they are squad players. What will they be on, somewhere near the 50k mark, that's what we pay players of their calibre as well. They went there to be part of a top football club in the world, possibly win a few trophies and have the chance the dreamt of as little boys to play at the highest possible level. Is it really that painful for Newcastle fans to consider players would rather go to a better club if offered similar wages than come here? I would find that slightly irronic considering money is one of the few things we've got going for us when it comes to attracting players nowadays. Is there something wrong with being ambitious and wanting to earn good money while trying to constantly improve at what you do, because if there is count me in as being guilty,,

i don't think its nonsense at all. i think he's absoloutely spot on.

Spot the difference.

In any case, they're still not going to be the midfield equivalent of Terry and Carvalho, are they?

I would hope that for an uninspiring signing that Guthrie is (below average Premiership midfielder with supposed promise due to his age) the competition for his place that we are trying to bring in will be at least as much of a quality gap as there is between a very good Premiership defender and a world class defender, otherwise we're fucked..

i don't think its nonsense at all. i think he's absoloutely spot on.

Well we haven't splashed out 12 million for him have we, so it's a complete non debate. Personally, if we would have thrown away 12 million on a player of his credentials I would have been far more unhappy than I currently am about signing two 'meh' players when we really need to inject some quality in the side..