So who could we sign that would pacify you?

Dave

You'd have to be a mentalist to not move from a club like Bolton to a club like Chelsea when given the chance..

Depends whether you give a toss about actually playing or not I suppose.

He had been playing before hadn't he..? If it was just about playing he would have signed a new contract with Bolton. He went away to move up in the world and he did. Take Guthrie, are you saying he shouldn't have signed for us when we offered him a contract, because he is not likely to figure in the first team much next season? Should he have gone to Fulham because they would have probably guaranteed him a first team place, or did he make the right decision to come here and take a chance?

Chelsea - some of the best players in the league if not the world in Ben Haim's position.

Newcastle - Geremi, someone currently in jail, Butt, er...Smith?

Spot the difference.

I thought you were convinced we were going to be bringing in some first team players for the midfield?

I am pretty convinced, yeah. Do you think Keegan told Guthrie that when trying to get him to sign? :lol:

In any case, they're still not going to be the midfield equivalent of Terry and Carvalho, are they?

I would hope that for an uninspiring signing that Guthrie is (below average Premiership midfielder with supposed promise due to his age) the competition for his place that we are trying to bring in will be at least as much of a quality gap as there is between a very good Premiership defender and a world class defender, otherwise we're fucked..

And you think Park would be one such inspiring player?

The Park that was PSV's best player for two straight seasons in which they reached the quarter and semi finals of the Champions League, earning him a transfer to one of the biggest clubs in the world where he has done reasonably well? Yes, I think he's a step above anything we have in midfield at the moment and not entirely unrealistic..

The Park that was PSV's best player for two straight seasons in which they reached the quarter and semi finals of the Champions League, earning him a transfer to one of the biggest clubs in the world where he has done reasonably well? Yes, I think he's a step above anything we have in midfield at the moment and not entirely unrealistic..

See Smith, Alan.

See Smith, Alan.

You're having a laugh.. Please dig up my comments when we signed this fuckwit you mention for reference.. He may have been in a side that was in the CL semis, but that doesn't mean he's in the same bracket as Park..

Kranjcar

Cuellar

Arteta

Zigic

Plasil

Cazorla

Boulahrouz

Konchesky

Oh...and Berbatov...should do nicely. :cheesy:

Good shout..

Doesn't seem physical enough from what i saw of him for chelsea

Sadly i wouldnt see Park as the type of player that could come into a troubled club like our and be a major force in turning us around.

Neither the ability nor the personality.

Decent squad player for Man U but is never going to be a first choice for them

I honestly think it doesn't matter who but more how much.

If Jonas came for £12m some would have been happier.

Absolute nonsense and you know it.. Now a top class player for 12 million and we would be having a different debate..

i don't think its nonsense at all. i think he's absoloutely spot on.

Well we haven't splashed out 12 million for him have we, so it's a complete non debate. Personally, if we would have thrown away 12 million on a player of his credentials I would have been far more unhappy than I currently am about signing two 'meh' players when we really need to inject some quality in the side..

What are his credentials? How much have you seen him play?

Kranjcar

Cuellar

Arteta

Zigic

Plasil

Cazorla

Boulahrouz

Konchesky

Good shout..

That must be why the nicknamed him the canibal in the German league, which is known for being  very physical..

i wouldn't mind us showing an interest in Benayoun, SWP and i also think Gomis would be a good/realistic signing.  The whole french team was gash!  Not a fair reflection.

See Smith, Alan.

You're having a laugh.. Please dig up my comments when we signed this fuckwit you mention for reference.. He may have been in a side that was in the CL semis, but that doesn't mean he's in the same bracket as Park..

Park's a squad player. Just like Guthrie was for Liverpool. Except he's six years older, would probably cost more than £2m, and has played less Premier League football in the last year. Less than half as much in fact.

Yet one is uninspiring and the other is someone whose signing would help to convince you of the ambitions of the club. I don't understand.

Kranjcar

Cuellar

Arteta

Zigic

Plasil

Cazorla

Boulahrouz

Konchesky

Good shout..

That must be why the nicknamed him the canibal in the German league, which is known for being  very physical..

Dont canibals just eat people ?

So you're saying that being in a side that's been in the Champions League semis is no way to judge a player?

Kranjcar

Cuellar

Arteta

Zigic

Plasil

Cazorla

Boulahrouz

Konchesky

Good shout..

German league isn't as physical as the premiership, and when I saw him play in england he got bullied.

Absolute nonsense and you know it.. Now a top class player for 12 million and we would be having a different debate..

Well we haven't splashed out 12 million for him have we, so it's a complete non debate. Personally, if we would have thrown away 12 million on a player of his credentials I would have been far more unhappy than I currently am about signing two 'meh' players when we really need to inject some quality in the side..

In his mid twenties, never caught the eye of a big European club, a complete fringe player for his country and no outstanding statistics in terms of goal scoring or creating. If we would have paid 12 million for a relatively unknow player with those credentials I wouldn't have been happy.. Would you? Is it not you who would say in Keegan we trust so he must have seen something others have not which makes him worth 12 million.. As I have said time and time again, it's not about the money, it's about the level of player and the more importantly our ambition. This argument about spending money to shut up the people with concerns is only made by people who are perfectly happy with our signings so far. I'm fairly certain most people who remain concerned are of this opinion: by spending money you show ambition, but there is no need to spend more money than you need as long as you get the right targets in. The problem at the moment isn't the former, it's the latter..

In his mid twenties, never caught the eye of a big European club, a complete fringe player for his country and no outstanding statistics in terms of goal scoring or creating. If we would have paid 12 million for a relatively unknow player with those credentials I wouldn't have been happy.. Would you?

That's a "never" then.

Btw you've just described one:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/350/robertnew2wf1.jpg

and we paid £10m for him seven years ago and he was fucking brilliant.

You've also described David "tug tug tug" Bentley as well. And Andrei Arshavin.

In his mid twenties, never caught the eye of a big European club, a complete fringe player for his country and no outstanding statistics in terms of goal scoring or creating. If we would have paid 12 million for a relatively unknow player with those credentials I wouldn't have been happy.. Would you?

That's a "never" then.

and we paid £10m for him seven years ago and he was f***ing brilliant.

:snod:

That's a "never" then.

Arsenal reject went to a lower league club and came here for less than £2 million.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4953/andycoleeg1.th.jpg

That's a "never" then.

Arsenal reject went to a lower league club and came here for less than £2 million.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4953/andycoleeg1.th.jpg

Exactly the type of signing we need to be looking for.

We have no chance of getting players that played at Euro 2008 (unless they were shite) and young british players who are already being talked about in the press (like that lad from Cardiff that Arsenal signed).

Somehow we have to get lucky and unearth a couple of gems (Rob Lee is another of this type) then we can push on and in a couple of season become an attractive propostion for the better known talent