Hartlepool 1 - 4 Newcastle United - 19/07/08 - Post match reaction from page 12

Dave

Decent interview, in a nutshell:

/ Pleased with the match, thought it was a really good game especially cos Hartlepool were a week ahead of us in terms of training.

/ Happy with Damien Duff, says he looks sharp, says he's lost weight to the weight he was when he was 17/18 and 'looked like' a teenager out there today.

/ Focusing on fitness, wants to be fitter than last season, happy to stay at home and get the players fit rather than go abroad somewhere and do so.

/ Pleased with Guthrie, says he's a 'typical Liverpool player', very rarely loses possession.

/ "Spiderman" couldn't play because his registration hadn't gone through.

/ Owen had a sore calf, so couldn't play, but nothing serious.

/ Definitely need new faces, but didn't say an awful lot about it.

That was about it really. I turned the television off when the SSN presenter said Keegan wouldn't give an interview to Sky TV, and so they started speculating at the desk. f*** off, he didn't want to give an interview, simple as that.

Dear God!!  :o

Guest thommo78

Not that keegan would let the press know but he didn't fill me with confidence that we are well down the line with potential signings..only working hard (which I believe was a favourite quote of Glen Rodentboy!) Seems like markets stale and in our current wage saving and sensible transfer fee strategy it won't be us who makes something happen!!!

Not that keegan would let the press know but he didn't fill me with confidence that we are well down the line with potential signings..only working hard (which I believe was a favourite quote of Glen Rodentboy!) Seems like markets stale and in our current wage saving and sensible transfer fee strategy it won't be us who makes something happen!!!

Complete opposite to me. ??? Knows full well we need players, just what I wanted to hear.

Some are looking far too closely for a bit of negativity these days (not just you).

Guest VegasToon

!FFOKCUF

Seemed very determined and aware that we need new players in, and didn't really let on whether we're close to doing so or not. To be honest I'd rather he didn't come out and say "we're close to signing someone" because these deals don't always happen as they appear they will, and there's no point in him disappointing us fans and feeding any negativity that exists.

Guest thommo78

Complete opposite to me. ??? Knows full well we need players, just what I wanted to hear.

Some are looking far too closely for a bit of negativity these days (not just you).

We all know full well we need players as does Keegan, time will tell but it didn't seem to me we were close. Whether that is keegan playing the media well or him being completely honest only he and the club know. I thought Keegan spoke sense and I'm not playing on the whole we are doomed and spurs/villa are so much better than us crowd...thats my interrpuratation of the comments. If yours differs then fine...doesn't make either of us wrong...time will tell. New faces will arrive my hope is Keegan knows they are near and soon!!

We all know full well we need players as does Keegan, time will tell but it didn't seem to me we were close. Whether that is keegan playing the media well or him being completely honest only he and the club know. I thought Keegan spoke sense and I'm not playing on the whole we are doomed and spurs/villa are so much better than us crowd...thats my interrpuratation of the comments. If yours differs then fine...doesn't make either of us wrong...time will tell. New faces will arrive my hope is Keegan knows they are near and soon!!

How do you get that though? I don't understand how you can tell from the post-match comments from a pre-season friendly whether or not we're 'close' to any signings. Does it matter anyway when they come as long as we get them? Earlier the better, obviously, but it's no biggie IYAM.

Suppose you're right, it's just different interpretation of the same stuff. I just didn't see anything to worry about there - if anything his re-assertion that the squad isn't big enough gives me confidence.

I think we're waiting for a few big signings to go through (Berbatov, Lampard, etc...) and it will free the money in the market up and we'll start making more moves.

Keegan pretty much admitted the market is stuck right now and it needs to all free up.

predictably, people are making too much of Duff's hatrick today, but the fact is, we could an awful lot worse than giving the lad another chance. His attitude seems to be good and he's by all accounts a very positive member of the squad behind closed doors, and there IS genuine ability in there somewhere, last chance for him.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3838888,00.html

Hartlepool hit by Duff hat-trick

Damien Duff claimed a fine hat-trick as Newcastle launched their pre-season campaign with a comfortable 4-1 victory at Hartlepool.

The Republic of Ireland international cancelled out Matty Robson's opener five minutes before the break and then added a second from debutant Danny Guthrie's pass before making it 4-1 at the death.

In the meantime, Guthrie had marked his arrival on Tyneside with a deflected 53rd-minute strike.

Kevin Keegan's side endured a testing start as the League One outfit took the game to them, but they eventually made their Premier League class tell and were worthy winners in front of a crowd of 4,249.

Keegan was without the injured Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Habib Beye and Steve Harper, while Abdoulaye Faye and Geremi returned to training later than their team-mates after World Cup qualifiers during the summer.

James Milner, who has been linked with both Liverpool and Aston Villa this summer, started in central midfield with Duff playing on the right, a position which could yet be filled by summer signing Jonas Gutierrez when the season gets under way.

The home side took the lead with 16 minutes gone when midfielder Robson ran on to Joel Porter's ball down the left and chipped a shot past Shay Given at his near post.

Newcastle were laboured in their efforts to get back into the game, but they were level five minutes from the break when Duff collected Milner's pass and cut inside before curling a left-foot shot past keeper Arran Lee-Barratt.

Ben Clark had to clear Obafemi Martins' scuffed effort off the line seconds later, and it took a fine save from Lee-Barratt to keep out Charles N'Zogbia's 44th-minute shot as it skidded off the rain-soaked turf with the Magpies warming to their task.

Guthrie arrived as a half-time replacement for Jose Enrique, while Shola Ameobi came on for Martins, and the former Liverpool midfielder made a swift impact when he picked out Duff, who held off Clark to slot past Lee-Barratt with 52 minutes gone.

Guthrie helped himself to the third goal within seconds when his long-range shot was deflected past the keeper.

Ameobi miskicked in front of an open goal with 56 minutes gone as the visitors threatened to run riot, but after landing an 80th-minute cross on the bar, Duff completed his hat-trick with another deft finish two minutes from time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7515736.stm

Hartlepool 1-4 Newcastle

A hat-trick from Damien Duff and a goal from debutant Danny Guthrie clinched a 4-1 win for Newcastle at Hartlepool.

The Magpies went a goal behind through an early Matty Robson strike before Duff changed the course of the friendly by curling in an equaliser.

Duff slotted home his second when set up by Guthrie after the break and a deft finish late on sealed his treble.

In between, substitute Guthrie scored only eight minutes into his Newcastle career with a deflected effort.

Magpie boss Kevin Keegan named a strong squad for the trip to Victoria Park but was without England striker Michael Owen, who was nursing a minor injury.

The home side dominated early proceedings and took the lead after 16 minutes when winger Matty Robson lashed in a left-foot shot after evading the Newcastle defence.

Hartlepool still pressed for a second and Gary Liddle's shot from distance was deflected just wide.

With half-time approaching, Newcastle grabbed an equaliser following a counter-attack that resulted in James Milner laying the ball into Duff's pass and the winger curled it around goalkeeper Arran Lee-Barrett.

Keegan then introduced Danny Guthrie as a half-time substitute and the young midfielder, recently signed from Liverpool, did not take long to make an impact on his new team.

Only seven minutes into the second half, Guthrie played a pinpoint pass into the path of Duff, who slotted in his second of the game

A minute later Guthrie scored himself, with his low drive taking a slight deflection and nestling into the bottom corner of the Hartlepool goal.

Newcastle continued to have chances - Shola Ameobi, Alan Smith and Duff all coming close before the latter sealed his hat-trick in the closing stages with a delightfully curled shot past Lee-Barrett.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3024574,00.html

Duff hat-trick sinks Pools

Newcastle United fought back from a goal down to claim a fine 4-1 pre-season victory over neighbours Hartlepool.

Matty Robson fired the League One side ahead at Victoria Park on 16 minutes after latching onto Joel Porter's neat through-ball.

That lead nearly lasted until half-time, but forgotten man Damien Duff sent a pin-point left-footed curler inside Arran Lee-Barrett's far post to level the scoreline.

The visitors took control of the contest after the interval with new-boy Danny Guthrie picking out Duff who coolly slotted home his second of the game on 52 minutes.

Newcastle put the game beyond the home side within 60 seconds with Guthrie's low drive from outside the box taking a slight deflection and nestling into the back of Lee Barrett's goal.

With just minutes remaining Duff completed his hat-trick after sending the ball into the top corner after being teed up by Shola Ameobi to complete a fine afternoon's work.

Guest optimistic nit

its pretty damn bad that duff managed to get a hattrick today yet smith and ameobi between them playing up front managed fuck all.

i know martins had 45 as well, but still, you´d think one of them could have scored.

its pretty damn bad that duff managed to get a hattrick today yet smith and ameobi between them playing up front managed fuck all.

i know martins had 45 as well, but still, you´d think one of them could have scored.

At least Oba and Shola managed to beat some players and have some shots. Smith gets worse every time I see him, he'll have to drop further than League 1 to reach his true level.

its pretty damn bad that duff managed to get a hattrick today yet smith and ameobi between them playing up front managed f*** all.

At least Oba and Shola managed to beat some players and have some shots. Smith gets worse every time I see him, he'll have to drop further than League 1 to reach his true level.

Now watch him score a hatrick next game..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smith

Alan Smith (born 28 October 1980 in Rothwell, Leeds, West Yorkshire) is an English professional footballer currently playing for Newcastle United. He started his career at Leeds United, before transferring to Manchester United, and he has also been part of the England national football team. His Nickname is the "Goal Machine".

Fantastic! :lol: