Fabricio Coloccini signed from Deportivo La Coruña on 5 year deal

Cronky

Guest Sniffer

We will never have a solid defence until we address the problems in midfield where we give the ball away too easily and are unable to exert pressure on opponents. Without this, the ball just keeps coming back and eventually they'll crack. Equally, we need a forward who can hold the ball and that shouldn't be Owen pulled back into a midfield position. Viduka does it but I'm not holding my breathe we'll get more than 15-20 games out of him this season. Darren Bent, IMO, would be a good choice.

Guest optimistic nit

depor fan is right in saying coloccini will need time to ajust as well. it may well be faye and talyor for long periods of the first half of next season, and i can see coloccini making a few right back appearences before he goes central.

Guest Sniffer

Then we'll have problems starting with manure where I'd expect them to stick in at least five. No reason to see why things should be different to last season.

Guest optimistic nit

We will never have a solid defence until we address the problems in midfield where we give the ball away too easily and are unable to exert pressure on opponents. Without this, the ball just keeps coming back and eventually they'll crack. Equally, we need a forward who can hold the ball and that shouldn't be Owen pulled back into a midfield position. Viduka does it but I'm not holding my breathe we'll get more than 15-20 games out of him this season. Darren Bent, IMO, would be a good choice.

darren bent may be used this season by spurs though, if they loose keane and berb, but he would be an ideal choice.

we do need to sort out ball retention in midfield though, that has been the worst thing about us for 3 years, and the reason we conceded so many (the main reason) last season.

Guest optimistic nit

Then we'll have problems starting with manure where I'd expect them to stick in at least five. No reason to see why things should be different to last season.

it really depends on 2 weeks tbh.

Guest Sniffer

Perhaps. But if we are signing players who need an extended pereiod of time to adjust to the premier league then we'll be no better than last season and perhaps worse if that's possible. We really need players who can do a job from day one, not squad players as they are no better than what we already have. If that's all we get, then we'll be seeing a lot of smith, geremi and dare I say ameobi.

Guest elbee909

Just smebody else who'll make scoring against us look easy.

Still, look on the fucking bright side, eh.

Lets hope buying defenders is over now, the only thing i think we really need there is a back up left back and if we dont get one its not the end of the world. We desperately need some creativity in the CM position and a new forward, fingers crossed KK will sort us out.

Can't Bassong be cover for left back? with Cacapa, Taylor, Faye and Coloccini (assuming transfer goes through as expected) being ahead of him I can't see him getting a game at centre back.

Guest Sniffer

Still, look on the f***ing bright side, eh.

Being realistic. Keep singing kumba ya if you want but at this time I see no reason to be optimistic.

Guest jda3000

I think luca toni would be a good choice or kuyt

I think luca toni would be a good choice

he wouldn't and he wouldn't come here

Hey Newcastle Fans,

Just wanted to congratulate you on your imminent signing of our defender Coloccini.It's been a hard fought battle, but in the end we couldn't offer him what you could. His agent put a lot of pressure on this transfer, in the process saying some very unecessary things.

Believe me when I say that he is a WORLD CLASS defender and that this should be considered as a big coup for your club. I would say you got him on the cheap. Colo will need time to adjust to the english league so don't expect greatness straight away, but eventually you will see the best of him. I think Keegan will give him the time and support for this.

Best of luck for the future.

while you're still here did you see much of jonas gutierrez ? we've recently taken him from mallorca.

Guest elbee909

Still, look on the f***ing bright side, eh.

Being realistic. Keep singing kumba ya if you want but at this time I see no reason to be optimistic.

Never-ending pessimism is always said to be realistic, isn't it?

To think that 14 months ago our defense was

Carr - Bramble - Taylor - Babayaro

and tomorrow it might be

Beye - Faye - Coloccini - Enrique

And yet we'll still get the leaky defence clichés in the press.

We conceded 65 goals last season. ahem.

and tomorrow it might be

The defence always gets the blame, it's never anything to do with the midfield as far as the media are concerned.

tbf FM means s*** all when it comes to stats and stuff.

Good signing though

Actually its spot on quite often :)

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2598/immaginexv3.jpg

Crossing.

and tomorrow it might be

The defence always gets the blame, it's never anything to do with the midfield as far as the media are concerned.

I think that the defence was probably culpable for at least some of those 65, though.