Fabricio Coloccini signed from Deportivo La Coruña on 5 year deal

Cronky

If we're going with this pairing as our first choice then I'd rather judge them as a partnership rather than get drawn into a point scoring debate between fans of each.

Precisely which is why I said I thought they were as poor as each other today :thup:

Well we might need to look at which two central defenders gel the best then. I'm not convinced by this pair tbh, they don't look on the same wavelength but it's early days.

They looked good as a pair last weekend IMO, and have played Man United & Arsenal in their other two games, playing well against Arsenal.  A decent start, certainly nothing to be "not convinced by"

Guest Howaythetoon

It is easy to say they don't look convincing as a partnership up against an Arsenal whose attack makes most defensive partnerships look anything but most of the team, the good the bad and the ugly. The key for us is how they do consistently against the rest of the league and I'm more than confident that this back-four will stand up pretty well, especially at home. If we are going to use the Arsenal game as an indicator then frankly Owen looks like a spent force. Yet we all know he isn't, indeed he has shown he is the opposite as he's looked a new and different player for us since KK took over.

If we're going with this pairing as our first choice then I'd rather judge them as a partnership rather than get drawn into a point scoring debate between fans of each.

Precisely which is why I said I thought they were as poor as each other today :thup:

Well we might need to look at which two central defenders gel the best then. I'm not convinced by this pair tbh, they don't look on the same wavelength but it's early days.

They looked good as a pair last weekend IMO, and have played Man United & Arsenal in their other two games, playing well against Arsenal.  A decent start, certainly nothing to be "not convinced by"

I'm not asking you to be convinced or not convinced, I'm just saying how I saw it. They seem to end up a fair way apart and don't look like they are reading each other's play as a unit at times. But then it's only three matches in so that's maybe why.

I'm not asking you to be convinced or not convinced, I'm just saying how I saw it. They seem to end up a fair way apart and don't look like they are reading each other's play as a unit at times. But then it's only three matches in so that's maybe why.

Possibly yes  :laugh:

Up until today I think they have done exactly what you seem to think they haven't.  Opinions & all that..........

Guest alijmitchell

It is easy to say they don't look convincing as a partnership up against an Arsenal whose attack makes most defensive partnerships look anything but most of the team, the good the bad and the ugly. The key for us is how they do consistently against the rest of the league and I'm more than confident that this back-four will stand up pretty well, especially at home. If we are going to use the Arsenal game as an indicator then frankly Owen looks like a spent force. Yet we all know he isn't, indeed he has shown he is the opposite as he's looked a new and different player for us since KK took over.

Well said, the real test comes against villa, city, everton, spurs, pompey etc. Although I hate to write off games like this, because i think we could have easily prevented two of the goals today, a new defensive partnership is always going to struggle against the movement and pace of a team like arsenal. Arsenal basically ruthlessly exposed our inadequacies (defensive naivety of a player new to the league, lack of a fit and confident left back, and taylors lack of positional sense), whereas you'd hope it'd be slightly less difficult against these other teams.

I don't personally think defence is our problem. Its that shambles of a midfield. You need a midfield that can keep the ball and knows when to play tight and when to spread out and create the space.

Butt is to slow and does not seem to do much these days. I like nzogbia but he can be so frustraing and needs to play a bit keep ball now and again. Jonas by far is our most technically gifted midfield player by the looks of it. He is always looking for players running to create chances and knows when to play it simple. His movement is good. Guthrie is a young lad and I think he looks promising but he needs to try and set the tempo and learn to dictate the game if he is going to be anything more than a midfielder that knocks some safe passes around.

Today also showed how much we miss martins. He is our best player by a mile. When he plays you have someone to aim for. He causes all sorts of problems. I just don't see that with owen. I think we should get a suitable partner for martins and we  might see better performances.  Owen is not that for me. He is dropping to deep these days and simply cant lead the line like martins can.

If we get a couple of midfielders(centre attacking, right winger) a Striker (mobile striker to run and create space) and maybe a more defensive midfielder who has good positioning and can play a ball then and only then will I think we have a good chance of finishing in the top 6. These 4 types of player would give us a different shape all together and would allow us to both create better in numbers.

At present our midfield is shocking at ball retention and setting the tempo.

Thought Coloccini was class again today under extremely difficult circumstances, read the game well won the ball ahead of the opposition and looked cool in possession, completely at a loss how anyone could believe he was poor :idiot2:

Arsenal had free run of the midfield and were able to bring massive amounts of players forward.  Arsenal's communication and passing were sublime and they would have made most defenses look bad on this day.  

pass and move.attack as a unit,defend as a unit.

Just go and sleep instead of commenting / procrastinating after every match that a player isn't any good.

Please...

( 1 ) When did he join us? How many games he has had?

( 2 ) What team are we playing against?

( 3 ) Is football a team sport or an individual sport?

Have some patience, please.

Arsenal had free run of the midfield and were able to bring massive amounts of players forward.  Arsenal's communication and passing were sublime and they would have made most defenses look bad on this day.  

pass and move.attack as a unit,defend as a unit.

Yep and that's going to take a while for our team to get to that point.  Wenger does it the right way. He's a TEAM builder.

I don't personally think defence is our problem. Its that shambles of a midfield. You need a midfield that can keep the ball and knows when to play tight and when to spread out and create the space.

Butt is to slow and does not seem to do much these days. I like nzogbia but he can be so frustraing and needs to play a bit keep ball now and again. Jonas by far is our most technically gifted midfield player by the looks of it. He is always looking for players running to create chances and knows when to play it simple. His movement is good. Guthrie is a young lad and I think he looks promising but he needs to try and set the tempo and learn to dictate the game if he is going to be anything more than a midfielder that knocks some safe passes around.

Today also showed how much we miss martins. He is our best player by a mile. When he plays you have someone to aim for. He causes all sorts of problems. I just don't see that with owen. I think we should get a suitable partner for martins and we  might see better performances.  Owen is not that for me. He is dropping to deep these days and simply cant lead the line like martins can.

If we get a couple of midfielders(centre attacking, right winger) a Striker (mobile striker to run and create space) and maybe a more defensive midfielder who has good positioning and can play a ball then and only then will I think we have a good chance of finishing in the top 6. These 4 types of player would give us a different shape all together and would allow us to both create better in numbers.

Well said, sir ! Absolutely spot-on !!

Well said, sir ! Absolutely spot-on !!

well put, unless one of our players coming is a forward with pace we'll see valuable martins is in the next few weeks

i find some of the criticism of the guy laughable, we're a very different team when he's on the pitch

• 2 years later...
Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Not long IMO. He just had a groin strain and didn't seem badly hurt when he walked off, back for Wigan I'd imagine

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Coloccini and Campbell has to be our best pairing at the centre of our defence.

:thup:

I'd love to see it against Wigan