Hertha Berlin 1 - 0 Newcastle - 01/08/08 - post match reaction from page 17

Skirge

We need a dominating centre half.  If we want a good one & a few other good players we might have to bulk out the squad in the free transfer or cut price fee market.  If thats what the manager has decided, then that's fair enough for me.

The club may have slightly limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that people have come to expect.  If that is the case people might have to accept it for the time being, at least in the short term.

with the 3rd biggest crowd and support in the country, and 14th /15th turnover [something like that] in europe ?

We won't mention who created that  ;D but I'm sorry but punching that weight is what you should be expecting.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg712421#msg712421

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg714507#msg714507

Yeah but most of what I posted there about the transfers we are targetting are a cut and paste job on your opinions from 18 months ago. 

Why the change of heart? mackems.gif

Look for posts where I've said that when they have proved real ambition I won't criticise the odd mishap ...... I've said it often. When they have proved real ambition, then fair enough. I'm not getting carried away by one [hopefully good] signing, unlike others.

I can't be arsed to look for it though I'll let you do that as you seem so inclined.

This is a direct reply by the way, which is more than most people make. I notice nobody is admitting that they called such signings in the past "trophy signings". Why the change of heart ?

You've answered / replied to nothing tbf.  Nice try at wriggling out though O0

I spotted that post the a couple of days ago when you said you've never been this unhappy in recent memory.  I asked you if you were less happy now than 18 months ago, & when you avoided the question I decided to look for your opinions at the time for myself.

Just goes to show that when it comes to most of your opinions, it the person making the decision that counts rather than the decision they're making that matters.

Exactly what you accuse others of.

Like I said, you're wrong. Ashley will win me over when he proves real ambition, one signing doesn't do that, I'm talking real ambition, which must be higher than yours.

In the meantime, I've renewed my season ticket for the next 3 years so I'm obviously more unhappy than a lot of other people.

Still no answer though. O0

And seeing as you keep banging on about it, I've renewed for 3 years upfront as well, just I don't see how its relevant to what I've asked you above.

Perhaps you should read your posts I've linked to then try and answer why what was acceptable then is less acceptable now.

I'll not hold my breath though.

because they had proved their ambition. Simple as that. If you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle. And attempting to succeed and not quite getting to what you hoped for is a lot more acceptable than not attempting it at all.

The situation you talk about 18 months ago still stands, so why shouldn't the reasons you mentioned then still stand?

They were no longer showing any ambition 18 months ago, surely any fool can see that? 

Its all very well harping on about the Champions League placings they did achieve (and fair play to them for that) but when they left we were miles away from that happening again.  Even you can acknowledge that?

Basic fundamental number 1 requirement for a board. Back your manager, punch your weight in the transfer market.

Will always stand a better chance of succeeding than a board that doesn't back their manager, and doesn't punch their weight in the transfer market.

That is the basis of the point I've made since day 1.

As long as they back their manager, they stood a chance of getting back among the top clubs.

That means buying more than one player.

Whatever the quotes say that you've found, and I repeat when Ashley has shown ambition to punch the clubs weight [which is all I'm asking for him] he'll get the same acceptance of the odd mishap that the old lot did, thats my point, and I'm sticking to it.

We need a dominating centre half.  If we want a good one & a few other good players we might have to bulk out the squad in the free transfer or cut price fee market.  If thats what the manager has decided, then that's fair enough for me.

The club may have slightly limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that people have come to expect.  If that is the case people might have to accept it for the time being, at least in the short term.

with the 3rd biggest crowd and support in the country, and 14th /15th turnover [something like that] in europe ?

We won't mention who created that  ;D but I'm sorry but punching that weight is what you should be expecting.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg712421#msg712421

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg714507#msg714507

Yeah but most of what I posted there about the transfers we are targetting are a cut and paste job on your opinions from 18 months ago. 

Look for posts where I've said that when they have proved real ambition I won't criticise the odd mishap ...... I've said it often. When they have proved real ambition, then fair enough. I'm not getting carried away by one [hopefully good] signing, unlike others.

I can't be arsed to look for it though I'll let you do that as you seem so inclined.

This is a direct reply by the way, which is more than most people make. I notice nobody is admitting that they called such signings in the past "trophy signings". Why the change of heart ?

I spotted that post the a couple of days ago when you said you've never been this unhappy in recent memory.  I asked you if you were less happy now than 18 months ago, & when you avoided the question I decided to look for your opinions at the time for myself.

Just goes to show that when it comes to most of your opinions, it the person making the decision that counts rather than the decision they're making that matters.

Like I said, you're wrong. Ashley will win me over when he proves real ambition, one signing doesn't do that, I'm talking real ambition, which must be higher than yours.

In the meantime, I've renewed my season ticket for the next 3 years so I'm obviously more unhappy than a lot of other people.

And seeing as you keep banging on about it, I've renewed for 3 years upfront as well, just I don't see how its relevant to what I've asked you above.

Perhaps you should read your posts I've linked to then try and answer why what was acceptable then is less acceptable now.

because they had proved their ambition. Simple as that. If you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle. And attempting to succeed and not quite getting to what you hoped for is a lot more acceptable than not attempting it at all.

The situation you talk about 18 months ago still stands, so why shouldn't the reasons you mentioned then still stand?

They were no longer showing any ambition 18 months ago, surely any fool can see that? 

Its all very well harping on about the Champions League placings they did achieve (and fair play to them for that) but when they left we were miles away from that happening again.  Even you can acknowledge that?

Basic fundamental number 1 requirement for a board. Back your manager, punch your weight in the transfer market.

Will always stand a better chance of succeeding than a board that doesn't back their manager, and doesn't punch their weight in the transfer market.

As long as they back their manager, they stood a chance of getting back among the top clubs.

Whatever the quotes say that you've found, and I repeat when Ashley has shown ambition to punch the clubs weight [which is all I'm asking for him] he'll get the same acceptance of the odd mishap that the old lot did, thats my point, and I'm sticking to it.

So if Ashley appointed Souness, you'd support and make excuses for his decision? :lol:

I would put appointing the right manager a long way above that to be honest.

On the second point, would you say trying to sign players like Modric, Woodgate and Colocinni shows ambition?

The old board would most of the time plump for the former when push came to shove' date=' the new board shows signs of the latter. Which is a shame as the New Board has a billionaire at its helm.[/quote']

On the face of it what you say seems correct, but then you can consider other factors that almost turn your argument completely about.

You don't become a billionaire by making mistake after mistake, so, only time will tell, but perhaps Ashley has the right idea. Enthusiasm tempered with caution. Ambition tempered with prudence and long-term planning.

And if the new board is to be believed, and I personally see no reason to doubt them, the old board had got our finances in a very delicate, if not precarious, position. Due perhaps to their policy of back the manager at all costs and let tomorrow take care of itself?

And onto another note in no way related to your post: I cannot see how anyone would call this a trophy signing, but I believe there's a huge discussion about what constitutes a trophy siging elsewhere in another thread so I won't bother to expand on that here.

Wrong. And this is the reason why you cannot see people's frustrations with the old board post SBR.

The boards BASIC fundamental number 1 requirement is to appoint the RIGHT MAN. This is a good measure of your boards ambitions, the second fundamental requiremnt is to back that man. In that order So far the board has got the right man, and so far they seem  to be willing to put money on the table, this is backed up by the bids for Modric for £16-18m which would of been our 1st/2nd biggest sgining in our history and the £9m for Collocini which would be the most we've ever spent on a defender and possibly one of the highest fees for a defender in the league.

You dont seem to be able to back your drivel with any solid evidence aside from media splutterings and hearsay, embarressing really.

Guest Sniffer

Ashley is going to have to put his hand in his pocket for a creative midfield player in addition to another front man to convince me that he wants to play with the big boys.

aye, 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th and 13th. Bad days. Assisted by the major shareholders too no doubt.

Yes, I've changed it, I've added the bits you forgot about.

I would put appointing the right manager a long way above that to be honest.

On the second point, would you say trying to sign players like Modric, Woodgate and Colocinni shows ambition?

Gordon Lee was a good appointment. So was Arthur Cox. Both pissed off [to Everton and bloody Derby - bigger club ?] because the board was shite, both underachieved at Newcastle. You will know Cox was mate , not so sure about Lee. Both those managers with a board that backed them would have done better, a lot lot better, and wouldn't have left either.

aye, 4th, 3rd, 5th, and 7th . Bad days. Assisted by the major shareholders too no doubt.

oh I forgot about those, what an idiot I am

you said it lad

mackems.gif

Wrong. And this is the reason why you cannot see people's frustrations with the old board post SBR.

The boards BASIC fundamental number 1 requirement is to appoint the RIGHT MAN. This is a good measure of your boards ambitions, the second fundamental requiremnt is to back that man. In that order So far the board has got the right man, and so far they seem  to be willing to put money on the table, this is backed up by the bids for Modric for £16-18m which would of been our 1st/2nd biggest sgining in our history and the £9m for Collocini which would be the most we've ever spent on a defender and possibly one of the highest fees for a defender in the league.

You dont seem to be able to back your drivel with any solid evidence aside from media splutterings and hearsay, embarressing really.

the flaws in your argument, are :

1. History proves you wrong, see my factually based reply to dudeabides - in Lee's case it is backed up with the highest league position for nearly 20 years and wasn't equalled for another 18 years. Before you sound off about me not having anything to back up my point of view, read this, and try to understand it, if you can. 

2. By that criteria, only 2 clubs - 3 if you count the league cup - appoint the "right man" per season. That means 17 or 18 premiership clubs have all appointed the "wrong man".

A ludicrous angle to look at it.

Quite amazing how many times you have to repeat things on here

People should just give NE5 a break about this.

I won this argument against him a couple of hours ago ;)

you cant' beat me Liam, because quite simply I will outscore you in the knowledge stakes - because - everything I say is based on factual information. The old board ran this club during the time it got by far its best league performance and postions in 50 years. You simply can't argue with it. In any way you like, dispute it and you've lost.

you cant' beat me Liam, because quite simply I will outscore you in the knowledge stakes - because - everything I say is based on factual information. The old board ran this club during the time it got by far its best league performance and postions in 50 years. You simply can't argue with it. In any way you like, dispute it and you've lost.

Chomp :)

aye, sure.

the chomps on you Liam. Shame you took the easy way out  mackems.gif

Guest elbee909

1. History proves you wrong, see my factually based reply to dudeabides - in Lee's case it is backed up with the highest league position for nearly 20 years and wasn't equalled for another 18 years. Before you sound off about me not having anything to back up my point of view, read this, and try to understand it, if you can. 

2. By that criteria, only 2 clubs - 3 if you count the league cup - appoint the "right man" per season. That means 17 or 18 premiership clubs have all appointed the "wrong man".

Souness was backed though, eh.  What wonderful days they were.

I've seen worse. Maybe you haven't, so go away and think about it.

Guest elbee909

Doesn't change the fact that he was backed with large sums of money and we took a fucking nose-dive.  Still, ignore those facts that you don't like, wouldn't be the first time.

Doesn't change the fact that he was backed with large sums of money and we took a fucking nose-dive.  Still, ignore those facts that you don't like, wouldn't be the first time.

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm saying that the most important principle a board should hold, is to back its appointed manager. And history proves the point. All clubs make mistakes, but they sack them, and continue backing them if they want success.

aye, sure.

the chomps on you Liam. Shame you took the easy way out  mackems.gif

Chomp