Best Starting XI outside of the top 4

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wish i'd been that serious at 16.

:lol: Are you serious like? Come off it man. I take my fair share of shite off people off this forum but i know for a fact that atleast 99% of it is in jest - and i make that known n'all, i don't flounce about. But with stuff like that, well, it's just a shame you can't have an argument with some people on here without them simply claiming they're searching for a bite. 17 anyway, arsewipe.  bluerazz.gif

James, your ratings of Everton players are a total joke :lol:

You were trying to get me to bite surely.

I honestly think Everton are just a bunch of well managed, average to good players, and that you've only got by recently because of chaos at other clubs.

Well I honestly think you're a WUM.

How can he be a WUM on a NUFC forum ??

James, your ratings of Everton players are a total joke :lol:

You were trying to get me to bite surely.

I honestly think Everton are just a bunch of well managed, average to good players, and that you've only got by recently because of chaos at other clubs.

Not the fact they are well drilled, very well organised and unlike Spurs and Newcastle have consistently performed.

I don't think this debate is about the teams, it's about the quality of player in the starting 11's, there's a huge difference there. We have arguably had one of the best starting 11's on paper outside the top4  for a number of years now but because of crappy management, injuries, player form we have not been able to put out a team that can compete. I don't think you'll get too many people not rating the all round package that Villa and Everton offer and that was the reason for their success last season, they are extremely well organised, disciplined teams, that don't overly rely upon talent and ability. Both teams do have the odd flair player though.

I don't agree with some of the ratings. I think Arteta for example is one of the best midfielders in the league (including the top 4) and Laursen had an immense season for Villa. But I would agree with his general opinion that 'on paper' neither Everton nor Villa have the best starting 11.

Guest kingdawson

That may not be how they actually line up, but if Spurs really put Jenas and Huddlestone in the centre they'll struggle, regardless of their other personnel.

Aye probs, i doubt they'd even go 4-4-2 either tbh. Infact, i can't see anyone but ourselves lining up with a straight 4-4-2 next season. I was just trying to think of the most logical system without thinking TOO hard.

Fair play. Still think Spurs are too lightweight in the middle. If Modric plays there they'll need 1, if not 2 central midfielders significantly better than they currently have if they want top 4 imo. Cahill is a class above anything they have in there.

cahill? he's an ok player that comes up with the odd goal or two. Nothing Special about him at all, other than his heading ability.

I disagree, makes a huge difference to the Everton team when he's playing. The difference in the results they were getting last season when he was in and out of the team was striking.

Guest kingdawson

I disagree, makes a huge difference to the Everton team when he's playing. The difference in the results they were getting last season when he was in and out of the team was striking.

Thats because they were playing 4-5-1 and he had the freedom to roam. Put him in a 4-4-2 where the manager actually gives him set instructions, and he'll struggle bad. Ability wise, he's nothing special (other than his heading and his movement). Arteta on the other hand, is a class player.

Edit: Basically, Cahill is just a better version of Kevin nolan.

Thats because they were playing 4-5-1 and he had the freedom to roam. Put him in a 4-4-2 where the manager actually gives him set instructions, and he'll struggle bad. Ability wise, he's nothing special (other than his heading and his movement). Arteta on the other hand, is a class player.

Edit: Basically, Cahill is just a better version of Kevin nolan.

I'd have said he's more of a poor man's Paul Scholes tbh, but that's just splitting hairs. I agree with what you're saying to an extent, but I still think he's the most effective CM outside the top 4.

• 5 months later...

One way of looking at it could be to rank each position, and score points accordingly:

Goalkeepers

1. James (5pt)

2. Friedel (4pt)

3. Given (3pt)

4. Howard (2pt)

5. Gomes (1pt)

Right backs

1. Beye (5pt)

2. Hutton (4pt)

3. Glen Johnson (3pt)

4. Hibbert (2pt)

5. Luke Young (1pt)

Left Backs

1. Lescott (5pt)

2. Bale (4pt)

3. Enrique (3pt)

4. Shorey (2pt)

5. Hreidarsson (1pt)

Centre Backs

1. Coloccini (5pt)

2. King (4.5pt)

3. Woodgate (4pt)

4. Distin (3.5pt)

5. Campbell (3pt)

6. Yobo (2.5pt)

7. Laursen (2pt)

8. Davies (1.5pt)

9. Taylor (1pt)

10. Jagielka (0.5pt)

Right midfield

1. Bentley (5pt)

2. Pienaar (4pt)

3. Milner (3pt)

4. Utaka (2pt)

5. Petrov (1pt)

Left midfield

1. Young (5pt)

2. Modric (4pt)

3. Kranjcar (3pt)

4. Gutierrez (2pt)

5. Arteta (1pt)

Central Midfield

1. Barry (5pt)

2. Diarra (4.5pt)

3. Huddlestone (4pt)

4. Bouba Diop (3.5pt)

5. Barton (3pt)

6. Reo-Coker (2.5pt)

7. Guthrie (2pt)

8. Jenas (1.5pt)

9. Neville (1pt)

10. Rodwell (0.5pt)

Attacking midfielder/second striker

1. Owen (5pt)

2. Defoe (4pt)

3. Agbonlahor (3pt)

4. Bent (2pt)

5. Cahill (1pt)

Target man

1. Berbatov (5pt)

2. Crouch (4pt)

3. Viduka (3pt)

4. Carew (2pt)

5. Yakubu (1pt)

Final totals:

1. Tottenham 39 pts

2. Portsmouth 36.5 pts

3. Newcastle 35 pts

4. Aston Villa 28.5 pts

5. Everton 20.5 pts

So yes, Spurs do have the greatest comparative strength, but if they lose some players and others keep theirs fit, other teams can topple them.

Sorry to quote such a long post, but this is fantastic. The use of Arteta as a poor left midfielder is something Moyes has done well to avoid :lol: