When everyone is fit, what is our best 11 ?

Jamie

I can't really see Gutierrez or, the reborn, Duff fitting into the 4-3-3. So I'd go for a 4-4-1-1, like we played under Keegan 1st time round, with Owen in the Beardsley role.

Given

Beye        Coloccini  Faye    Enrique

Gutierrez/Milner  Guthrie  Barton/Milner      Duff/Gutierrez/Zoggy

Owen

Martins

I'd go for this formation, but with changes in bold depending on opponents.

Find it amusing that people are opting for Jonas in a central role. Why not just stick Duff into DM eh? I'd say, on current form;

Given

Beye          Coloccini      Taylor        Enrique

Faye

Guthrie

Milner                                                Jonas

Owen

Martins

Although there is still a huge question on whether Taylor will make the step up, as well as whether Duff is back on form after his shite.

TBH it's a very hard choice.

----------------Given----------------

Beye--Coloccini--Faye--Enrique

---------------Guthrie--------------

---Jonas-----------------Barton---

----------------Owen----------------

---------Martins----Viduka---------

This, but swap Barton and Guthrie

----------------Given----------------

Beye--Coloccini--Faye--Enrique

---------------Guthrie--------------

---Jonas-----------------Barton---

----------------Owen----------------

---------Martins----Viduka---------

This, but swap Barton and Guthrie

Find it amusing that people are opting for Jonas in a central role. Why not just stick Duff into DM eh?

Because it's a position that isn't restricted to a central role, see Barton playing there last season for an example.

Its funny how Duff looked good against Hartlepool, Psv and Valencia. But abysmal against Doncaster Mallorca And H.Berlin. Im still undecided on him, N'Zogbia over duff anyday of the week. Hes younger, fitter, more abilily, can cross a ball and knows how to take people on without having to turn back.

Given

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Milner Guthrie N'Zogbia Gutierrez

Owen Martins

Its funny how Duff looked good against Hartlepool, Psv and Valencia. But abysmal against Doncaster Mallorca And H.Berlin. Im still undecided on him, N'Zogbia over duff anyday of the week. Hes younger, fitter, more abilily, can cross a ball and knows how to take people on without having to turn back.

Given

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Milner Guthrie N'Zogbia Gutierrez

Owen Martins

Kev, Don't you expect Coloccini to start?

Find it amusing that people are opting for Jonas in a central role. Why not just stick Duff into DM eh?

Because it's a position that isn't restricted to a central role, see Barton playing there last season for an example.

I don't think i ever once saw Barton getting to the touch line, which is where Jonas is meant to be most dangerous.

The whole point of a 433 midfield is that the 3 make up for the 4. I.e in the defensive sense he would be doing a pretty similar job, tracking back and protecting the full back. However, in the attacking sense we can't afford to have two centre mids playing on the wings because that leaves one in centre. In the premierleague you can't get away with that, even against the likes of Hull.

If Jonas is going to be used effectively he is going to have to be played in his position i.e on the wing, in a 442. Otherwise we might as well not have bought him. For the record i liked the formation we ended the season with.

I agree, like many others, with Baggio's team.

Can't fathom why so many people are picking Taylor.

Funnily enough not everyone thinks Taylor is shite, personally i don't think there is much between him and Faye, but i'm adging towards the latter at the moment.

Funnily enough not everyone thinks Taylor is s****, personally i don't think there is much between him and Faye, but i'm adging towards the latter at the moment.

I'm not saying he's shit, just at times he looks like so much more of a liability.

Funnily enough not everyone thinks Taylor is s****, personally i don't think there is much between him and Faye, but i'm adging towards the latter at the moment.

I'm not saying he's shit, just at times he looks like so much more of a liability.

seconded, faye's the superior player at the minute, i'd like to hear a convincing argument stating otherwise

I don't think i ever once saw Barton getting to the touch line, which is where Jonas is meant to be most dangerous.

The whole point of a 433 midfield is that the 3 make up for the 4. I.e in the defensive sense he would be doing a pretty similar job, tracking back and protecting the full back. However, in the attacking sense we can't afford to have two centre mids playing on the wings because that leaves one in centre. In the premierleague you can't get away with that, even against the likes of Hull.

If Jonas is going to be used effectively he is going to have to be played in his position i.e on the wing, in a 442. Otherwise we might as well not have bought him. For the record i liked the formation we ended the season with.

From the bit we've seen of Jonas so far he looks very comfortable playing tucked in and seems easily solid enough from a defensive role to play the position that Geremi filled last year at the end of the season. Also would appear to have the engine to get wide from that position and still give us something on the flanks.

With Owen playing so deep I think it gives plenty of license for the flankers in the 3 man midfield to get wide without the center getting exposed, and if we go with the 4-3-3 again as I hope we will I think Jonas will do very well in it.

I would say that Barton didn't get wide both because it's not really his game and he was on the left so there was scarcely much point in him doing so as he's very right footed.

They don't just play on the wings though, if you had watched Barton last season he covered both the wide area when attacking and dropped in the middle when we didn't have the ball, his position was of what you would call a left sided midfielder and i don't see any reason why Jonas couldn't do this on the other side where Geremi played, even from watching him over these past few friendlies you can tell he's got much more about him than being a touchline hugging winger, similar to Kieron Dyer.

What we need from someone playing in that position is someone that can cover a lot of ground, someone that can drift out wide when needed but also come inside and let the full back over lap, most of all you need someone who looks comfortable in possession and doesn't mind putting the graft in, Barton done this well last season and most think Jonas could offer the same on the other side so no, it's nothing like OMG Lyke duff at dm.

They don't just play on the wings though, if you had watched Barton last season he covered both the wide area when attacking and dropped in the middle when we didn't have the ball, his position was of what you would call a left sided midfielder and i don't see any reason why Jonas couldn't do this on the other side where Geremi played, even from watching him over these past few friendlies you can tell he's got much more about him than being a touchline hugging winger, similar to Kieron Dyer.

What we need from someone playing in that position is someone that can cover a lot of ground, someone that can drift out wide when needed but also come inside and let the full back over lap, most of all you need someone who looks comfortable in possession and doesn't mind putting the graft in, Barton done this well last season and most think Jonas could offer the same on the other side so no, it's nothing like OMG Lyke duff at dm.

I'm not argueing that Jonas doesn't have the quality, at all. I, like you, believe he has alot in his locker and probably would do a good job in that position. What i'm saying is that the position you have him in, is not the position he played for Mallorca and effectively the reason we signed him. I feel extremely un-easy about changing his position in our side when he has yet to play a competitive game for us.

The problem with playing him in that position is that whether you like it or not restricts his attacking impetus. Its almost the very point of the position in that respect. In saying that, i can see exactly why you would play him there, as it allows our other attacking players a role in the team. However, i wouldn't do it and i'm certain KK won't either.

Assuming Coloccini is as good as we hope -

...........Given

Beye...Taylor.....Coloccini....Enrique

...Barton...Faye...Guthrie

........Gutierrez...Duff

...............Martins

I'm hoping that Bassong will be good enough to displace Taylor though.

...........Given

........Gutierrez...Duff

...............Martins

Having a laugh surely?

...........Given

........Gutierrez...Duff

...............Martins

Surely you should be hoping that Taylor is good enough to peform in that position. I'm guessing you have already given up on that.

If we sign no one else..

----------------Given

Beye----Taylor-----Coloccini-----Enrique

----------------Faye

---Barton-------------------Guthrie

----------------Jonas

------Owen-------------Martins

BENCH

Harper

Cacapa

Bassong

Butt

Zoggy

Duff

Viduka

...........Given

........Gutierrez...Duff

...............Martins

Having a laugh surely?

It makes alot more sense than some of the other teams. At least he's chosen a group of players that may function well on the pitch and not just our best 11 footballers. Two very different things.

If we sign no one else..

----------------Given

----------------Faye

----------------Jonas

BENCH

Harper

Cacapa

Bassong

Butt

Zoggy

Duff

Viduka

Not bad at all, would be interesting to see how Jonas did in that position. I imagine he would pick up alot of free kicks.

If we sign no one else..

----------------Given

----------------Faye

----------------Jonas

BENCH

Harper

Cacapa

Bassong

Butt

Zoggy

Duff

Viduka

Not bad at all, would be interesting to see how Jonas did in that position. I imagine he would pick up alot of free kicks.

His work ethic and pace means the midfield threer will get cover from him to..

Given

Beye   Coloccini   Taylor   Enrique

Guthrie

Jonas                 Duff

Owen

Viduka             Martins

N'Zogbia and Faye pushing hard for first-team spots in that one - could also move Faye, Butt or Coloccini into CM. To be honest, a lot of it will depend on form, which is why Duff is in there for now. Could all change mind.

That'll do for me, even though its too attacking.