Ipswich confirm interest in Ameobi loan deal

Baggio

I just can't understand these quotes now, given that he's clearly had opportunities to go elsewhere in the summer. Unless all them alleged agreed fees from West Brom, Ipswich, etc weren't true. ???

Hope Norwich find the cash to pull it off. He'd finished here as soon as the 05/06 season ended - which i do still feel for him about. The guy had waited patiently for a good few seasons to be the main man, and he would have been going into 06/07, alongside Martins. That hip injury fucked him up though and he was fifth choice by the time he came back.

Still. His time's long gone now. Decent finisher 'in his day' but that's about it really.

Can we really afford to be selling players now? I mean now Shola has plenty of people in front of him, but Martins and Owen don't exactly have clean injury records, if they were to get hurt we would be back down to just Smith again if we sold Ameobi. Personally I'd rather wait see what happens with players coming in this week, before selling player which gives us depth, all be it below average depth.

Can we really afford to be selling players now? I mean now Shola has plenty of people in front of him, but Martins and Owen don't exactly have clean injury records, if they were to get hurt we would be back down to just Smith again if we sold Ameobi. Personally I'd rather wait see what happens with players coming in this week, before selling player which gives us depth, all be it below average depth.

I'd rather see a in-experianced quick little player with potential coming on tbh. Someone like Donaldson, Danquah. Or just play Duff/Milner there. we saw good enough spells from them in pre-season upfront. Im sure we could survive for 2 or 3 matches while someone has a injury. Unless they are long injuries.

Duff and Milner have played very well in pre-season, and I guess Jonas could play up front if need be, here's hoping we don't suffer any long injuries, I think we should have some new signings in soon, so hopefully we can sell him, as he obviously isn't up to Premier League standars, Championship level would suit him tbf, as for the new lads you mentioned I guess that's an arguement for the constant old board v new board debate that keeps occuring on here. Under Shepherd, I would have been petrified at the prospect of young strikers having to fill in, but now we have players like Danquah, Donaldson is a local lad anyway, and I'm really excited to see this Zamblera lad, our youth policy should reap some rewards in the long run.

Guest rebel_yell12

No hate for Ameobi, and his departure wouldn't do much to lower the wage bill or anything  unlike Smith's (his subtraction would likely be balanced by a new signing to be paid similarly), but I'd be happy to see him moved on.  He HAS been a decent servant to the club, and I think he'd be better suited to lower league play.  He might do good work for a Championship side, get to play regular football and score some goals.  Be better for him, and better for the club, if he's replaced by a more suitable striker.

But, if both Ameobi and Smith are moved...oh f*** that, whether they are or not, the club needs another striker or two brought in.  I can see a very realistic occasion (perhaps on Sunday) when Martins is the only recognised striker available.  Another big "target" type to understudy Viduka is first priority, imo.  Then just another striker who scores a goal here and there -- it doesn't take much to be an improvement on Smith's goal record, tbh. 

I think we can afford to let both Ameobi & Smith go, provided we get a fourth striker in.  That would leave us with Owen, Martins, Viduka & the new player (hopefully Derdiyok).  Then we also have Milner, Duff, Carroll, Zamblera and Lua Lua if things get desperate.  Comfortable I think. 

I think we can afford to let both Ameobi & Smith go, provided we get a fourth striker in.  That would leave us with Owen, Martins, Viduka & the new player (hopefully Derdiyok).  Then we also have Milner, Duff, Carroll, Zamblera and Lua Lua if things get desperate.   Comfortable I think. 

Don't forget wor Dutty Custard. ;D

Yet more ridiculous vitriol. I think it's time he left too but some of you lot seem to genuinely hate the guy despite what he has done for us over the years.

I cant agree more, Ameobi is defiitely not up to our standards and his lazy style of 'running' infuriates me (I use to call him Ameoba the single cell organism at SJP), but he is nowehere as poor as Smith. Whoever compares Smith with Ameobi is just downright silly. I'l be glad to see the back Ameobi but I'll save the vitriol for Smith. 

Always though he was more suited to playing in Europe where the pace of the game is slower.  Needs a lot of games in a row to get back into some sort of form and will never get that at Newcastle if others are fit.  Undoubtedly talented but no football brain whatsoever.

Wish the lad well.

"But with the strong centre forward now all but recoverd from injry,"

i cant believe some journalist actually wrote this!

strong??

ameobi is a mummys boy and cant force himself to get off his ass away from mums cooking! Hes too comfortable in tyneside.

I've got no hard feelings towards Shola, the guy gives his all and has contributed in important matches. He just doesn't have the ability to cut it week in week out at the toon.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up and how he does, but good luck to him when he does move on.

Prefer Shola to Smith. Wish him all the best at wherever he ends up, its the best thing for both parties. Robson and other managers saw something in him, but it just never really happened for him. He was goot at times, but those times were just too few. Roeder seemed to bring out the best in him, it will be interesting to see how he does.

the boy has done well since playing away to chelsea in that 0-0, when sir bob had joined.

i'd say, he's probably been the most successful of our academy products in recent years, and wish him well for the future

The " boy " is 25.Clearly if he is the best the academy can come up with then it either needed disbanding or firing every fucker who has any input into selection of kids.