Michael Owen in 2008-09

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm still not having this "sh*t up front" last season stuff either. He was playing up front at a time where Viduka was injured, Martins was in the ACON, and we were generally playing sh*te as a team. Still think he's the main striker in a 4-4-2 and somewhat wasted in the hole.

Too slow, can't play on the shoulder of the last defender, misses easy chances, and can't match up with one of our other strikers. He's not the main striker in a 4-4-2, and if KK thinks he is, then we're fucked.

Why do a third of us think he'll play less than last year then?

Realism starting to muscle out the traditional idiotic optimism for a lot of people?

It's idiotic optimism to point out the facts from last season?

Realism starting to muscle out the traditional idiotic optimism for a lot of people?

It's idiotic optimism to point out the facts from last season?

No, i meant every season, we hear fans giving it the "[insert player name] will be on fire this season.....we'll be fourth, guaranteed....better than Arsenal....."

Now, as season ticket sales (and away ticket sales, i suspect) are maybe showing that our fans are being more realistic.

And realistically, i for one don't expect a great goals/cost ratio out of Owen (or any of our current forwards, to be fair).

this stuff about him being 'gash upfront last season aswell'. slightly mis-leading i think, at the time he was coming back from a very long lay off and looked un-fit and rusty. if i remember rightly though he started to look much much sharper a couple of games before he was dropped behind the strikers, was spurs his first game there? i've got a feeling it was reading when he started to look like himself.

37 league games since he came here. Its not a good record, in honesty.

Certainly isn't. But many of those came in an unbroken stretch up to the end of last season.

And about 60 of the 70+ games he has missed were because of that serious injury during the World Cup, and a broken metatarsal. That's just downright unlucky more than anything.

no one will make a move for him in this window! he should sign a new contract. don´t care about the length or clauses! but he should accept a pay cut in wages! he can´t still not get a better deal elsewhere....and if he did....we wouldn´t be first choice....none of the bigger clubs would take the chance on him as first choice!

if he stays fit most of the season im sure he will score 15+....but he´s attitude annoys me! he´s our captain......

Um ... maybe because, despite a fit return to the team at the end of last season, he has been diseased and injured throughout the off season and pre-season and is now set to miss the first game of the season too.

No point selling him now for a pittance though. Not that anyone would be interested. Just get what we can out of him this last season and start making plans for a top striker next summer.

Certainly isn't. But many of those came in an unbroken stretch up to the end of last season.

And about 60 of the 70+ games he has missed were because of that serious injury during the World Cup, and a broken metatarsal. That's just downright unlucky more than anything.

Haven't you heard though, these footballers just want to be injured and out of action so they can sit around rather than play the game they love? It's a well known fact.

Haven't you heard though, these footballers just want to be injured and out of action so they can sit around rather than play the game they love? It's a well known fact.

You guys are jokers.

Awwww ... he's just so unlucky, so that makes everything okay. Lets just keep throwing more oney at him. Heres a brand new £100,000 a week deal. Great idea guys.

You do know these guys get paid in real money right? This isn't a video game you know. This is real mony he is getting from the club and he isn't worth it with his injury troubles and subsequent lack of appearances. The injuries aren't my fault or your fault either are they?

I would much rather let him move on now and get someone else in who doesn't have the same problems. He has been here now for the duration of his contract and he still hasn't had a good run of fitness. There is no reason he should get a new one, and a very expensive one at that!

Time has moved on, there are a lot of players out there who might not have the name "Owen" but who will be far more reliable and productive. Let him have his free move next summer and we can go for an upcoming striker. Our recruitment team are showing they know exactly what they are doing so I have every faith in them.

Guest MagFinnPie

i've got a fiver on him to be prem top scorer at 44-1.

thinking if he stays fit and has a good start (ie like the end of last season),and doesn't renew his contract he could be a good cheep option for one of the clubs in europe.

those odds were too good to turn down

i have a tenner (€) for him at 50-1

he still hasn't had a good run of fitness.

Utter bollocks btw, as I have proved.

Missing one game and people like you are straight back on the 'oh Owen's injured all the time' bandwagon. I fully expect him to start against Bolton.

You'd want rid of Martins too then I take it? Seeing as he started less games than Owen.

:lol:

Dave are you kidding me?

I'm not talking of one season here. This isn't based on last year. Owen signed a four year deal? And in that 4 years he hasn't had a run of gamesmore than what 10 in a roe or so? And this was only last season!

What the heck does this have to do with Martins anyway? Besides Martins was at the ACN and was benched unfairly by Allardyce once Owen returned. How many games has Oba actually missed out due to injury? Secondly, his contract isn't anywhere near as expensive as Owens. Thirdly he is much younger and therefore is still of greater value going into the future. Owen is about to turn 29 and he is injured a hell of a lot. Seems like a heck of a waste of money to give him another, what, 4 year deal on £100,000 a week. It would be mental.

Come off it Dave.

Merely pointing out the hypocrisy. In the most recent season, Owen started more league games than Martins, and that's fact. He started over 20 games in a row, and that's fact too.

Yet you wouldn't dream of criticising Martins for it like you do Owen.

he still hasn't had a good run of fitness.

Utter bollocks btw, as I have proved.

Missing one game and people like you are straight back on the 'oh Owen's injured all the time' bandwagon. I fully expect him to start against Bolton.

More power to you brother. I admire your optimism.

I'm very optimistic myself, but even I have lost faith in Owen's fitness.

Just one game eh? We'll see I guess.

All I know is, taking all into account, he doesn't warrant a new 4 year deal on big money.

Simple as that.

You'd want rid of Martins too then I take it? Seeing as he started less games than Owen.

:lol:

Dave are you kidding me?

I'm not talking of one season here. This isn't based on last year. Owen signed a four year deal? And in that 4 years he hasn't had a run of gamesmore than what 10 in a roe or so? And this was only last season!

Imagine if Blackburn had written Shearer off after one or two seasons of bad injuries, heck, imagine if we had after his crap season in 97-98 when he'd been, a) injured and b) sh*te.

Where was I ever on about his worthiness of a new contract btw?

Just pointing out that last season he wasn't actually that injured at all. And he played 20+ games in a row for us, which is a consistent run.

Merely pointing out the hypocrisy. In the most recent season, Owen started more league games than Martins, and that's fact. He started over 20 games in a row, and that's fact too.

Yet you wouldn't dream of criticising Martins for it like you do Owen.

Owen didn't start games because he was injured.

Martins didn't start games, mostly because he was at the ACN, which was out of his control, or he was benched, also out of his control.

For once this isn't even about Owen versus Martins.

It's about the wisdom in giving Owen a new contract when we could invest that money in developing our team further with younger, healthier and more reliable and therefore productive  talent.

I have no problem with Owen. Great player, great character, great professional but just not worth the money he demands considering his injuries in his time with us.