Michael Owen in 2008-09

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Once again, Owen rammed the words of closet chip-on-shoulder merchants who compare him unfavourably with Martins right back down their throats ; once again, he proved that given 2 chances, he will almost certainly put 1 away, even when not match-fit or up with the pace of the game...

For all Martins' qualities(speed off the mark, heart etc) he will NEVER be anywhere near as good a finisher as Michael Owen, and today, some of Martins' passing and retention of the ball was very poor.

As for those who comment that Owen would not be at NUFC if he was the best striker in Europe, I don't recall anyone saying he WAS the best in Europe, but on a chance conversion/games played ratio, he can't be far off that - in any case, if Martins was as good as some fans here think, HE wouldn't be a NUFC player because he would still be at Inter Milan ; the Italians very rarely let a genuinely top player leave their best clubs unless they think he is past it.

Owen proved today what many of us(esp older fans who have seen absolute dross over the years, but also have seen some top players)knew already - if he leaves we will have a terrible job trying to get a player who guarantees as many goals when fit, and that this type of player makes the difference between success & failure, or, in NUFC's case last season, between staying in the Prem and losing MILLIONS by being relegated...

The club should not only be trying everything to keep him, but ALREADY be looking for a replacement because that will be a long and difficult task ; Owen has proved himself to be as critical to NUFC's short-term future as Shearer did when he was here.

Good post.  It's laughable the stick that Owen gets when Martins who yeah, he'll get the odd goal for you because he's quick and occasionally it seems to dawn on him how to use his pace effectively, but his all around play is in the main shit.  Honestly we're a man down a lot of the time with the amount he gives the ball away or just does brainless shit and then fucking stamps his feet like a bairn and tries to blame someone else for it.

Owen is top class and it is essential that we sign him up.  Even if he gets a payrise.

seems like wild assessments of both players is in the air today boys!

everyone knows how good owen is, major issue people have is he's made of glass as i see it

martins isn't even close to being as bad as you two make him out either, but nor is he a world beater...for me when you look at liverpool with kuyt and that ukranian martins pisses all over the two of them, and they're title chasers apparently so he's good enough

Guest Gemmill

Martins' all around play is poor.  People like to gloss over it because he's become something of a cult figure, but if he wasn't he'd be getting some grief for it.

EDIT And I don't think that that's even remotely controversial btw.

Martins' all around play is poor.  People like to gloss over it because he's become something of a cult figure, but if he wasn't he'd be getting some grief for it.

his all round play CAN be poor. Just as Owen's can be non-existant

this

Guest Gemmill

His all round play IS GENERALLY poor is closer to the truth tbh.  Owen's contribution CAN be non-existent.  Do you see the difference?

And I think most can see it but don't like to admit it.

Guest Gemmill

It'll cost more to replace him than to up his wages. May as well tie him down for the remainder of his career, even if he asks for something daft.

This.  As the cool kids say.

His all round play IS GENERALLY poor is closer to the truth tbh.  Owen's contribution CAN be non-existent.  Do you see the difference?

He had a poor game yesterday tbh, but his all round play was good last week and was generally very good when he returned from the ANC last season imo

It'll cost more to replace him than to up his wages. May as well tie him down for the remainder of his career, even if he asks for something daft.

yep, needs to be sorted asap regardless of the substancial risk

your truth is my lie then, that's life

he was immense at old trafford last week imo...yesterday i felt he suffered (as he does a lot at home) from tight marking/being crowded out

there are DIFFERENT types of player you know?  martins strength in one area is another strikers weakness...that's why you need strikers of varying styles

martins will excel, and did at the end of last season, when he's got space to exploit but at home he's less likely to get that playing on his own than he would be with owen or viduka...duff was with him yeserday and was utterly unable to do anything to create space for martins to use

to me your argument is like critising a big physical CB who is very good in the air for being shit on the ground, or a smaller attacking FB for not being as good in the air

name me some COMPLETE strikers in the english game these days...i can think of torres, maybe drogba, most everyone else i can think of have gaps in their game and in that i include being injury prone

he was immense at old trafford last week imo...yesterday i felt he suffered (as he does a lot at home) from tight marking/being crowded out

there are DIFFERENT types of player you know?  martins strength in one area is another strikers weakness...that's why you need strikers of varying styles

martins will excel, and did at the end of last season, when he's got space to exploit but at home he's less likely to get that playing on his own than he would be with owen or viduka...duff was with him yeserday and was utterly unable to do anything to create space for martins to use

to me your argument is like critising a big physical CB who is very good in the air for being s*** on the ground, or a smaller attacking FB for not being as good in the air

name me some COMPLETE strikers in the english game these days...i can think of torres, maybe drogba, most everyone else i can think of have gaps in their game and in that i include being injury prone

absolutely except for Drogba 'maybe' being complete. He's the most complete striker i've ever seen tbh

Guest Gemmill

I think we're watching different players.

I think you're a racist tbh

Assuming this isn't a joke, you should be insta-banned for this.  And I'm not in the habit of requesting that people get bans.  But this site bans for insults and that's one of the worst you can brand someone with.  You fucking prick.

Assuming this isn't a joke, you should be insta-banned for this.  And I'm not in the habit of requesting that people get bans.  But this site bans for insults and that's one of the worst you can brand someone with.  You f***ing prick.

you assumed very wrong, lighten up  :lol: :rolleyes:

Assuming this isn't a joke, you should be insta-banned for this.  And I'm not in the habit of requesting that people get bans.  But this site bans for insults and that's one of the worst you can brand someone with.  You f***ing prick.

you missed the smiley ronaldo, posts have no inherent validity or worth without a smiley

Guest Gemmill

The ZOMG I WAS JOKING smilies are a couple of posts too late. :rolleyes:

it should have been obvious I was joking tbh

Guest Gemmill

to me your argument is like critising a big physical CB who is very good in the air for being shit on the ground, or a smaller attacking FB for not being as good in the air

Sorry like but you don't get to say that there aren't many complete strikers in the game, so it's ok for Martins to have gaping holes in his. 

Guest Gemmill

it should have been obvious I was joking tbh

Maybe I'm out of practice on here or something.  Fair dos.

Sorry like but you don't get to say that there aren't many complete strikers in the game, so it's ok for Martins to have gaping holes in his. 

that's not actually what i said though is it gemmill?  try again

He won't be here at the end of it, and that is far more important, if you get where I'm coming from.

I think he'll sign, actually. Pretty confident about it too.

Ditto.

I think he will get 21 - 30 games at the very least, according to previous statistics.

Mmmmm optimistically, I will say he might even manage 15 to 20 goals this season. He seems to get 1 goal every 1 to 1.5 games from the past few games.

Guest Gemmill

that's not actually what i said though is it gemmill?  try again

Looks a lot like what you've said to me.  You asked me to name complete strikers, presumably to prove your argument that there aren't many, therefore it's ok for Martins to not be one.  I responded by pointing out that Martins is far from just not quite being the complete striker.  I've conceded that he'll get the odd goal because he's quick and can exploit spaces but I think that we can expect a lot more from him when he's required to get involved in the match.  For instance, I'm a big fan of footballers who can control the ball and then find a teammate with a pass.  Which precludes me from being a big fan of Martins.