Michael Owen in 2008-09

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We could well have been relegated last season if it wasn't for Owen.

He certainly hasn't delivered what we expected over the 4 years, but I'd def say the trend is in the right direction - i.e. he's getting better, and less injured recently.

Spot on, and that's all I'm trying to say. One game out (and one where we're highly unlikely to get anything anyway) doesn't change that.

You'd want rid of Martins too then I take it? Seeing as he started less games than Owen.

:lol:

Dave are you kidding me?

I'm not talking of one season here. This isn't based on last year. Owen signed a four year deal? And in that 4 years he hasn't had a run of gamesmore than what 10 in a roe or so? And this was only last season!

Imagine if Blackburn had written Shearer off after one or two seasons of bad injuries, heck, imagine if we had after his crap season in 97-98 when he'd been, a) injured and b) sh*te.

I don't like this comparison at all. It disturbs me deeply.

Shearer was still young at Blackburn so they could afford to wait on him, especially as he wasn't on huge money then either.

As for Newcastle, he had already done the business for us and proved that he could come back from injuries and perform at a high level over a good period of time, without missing a lot of games.

If Owen is so confident he will be fit then he should sign a £50,000 a week deal that will be £100,000 if he played an agreed upon number of games. Why wouldn't he?

He certainly hasn't delivered what we expected over the 4 years, but I'd def say the trend is in the right direction - i.e. he's getting better, and less injured recently.

Unfortunately, one could argue we were in that position in the first place because he wasn't available for us enough to begin with.

Spot on, and that's all I'm trying to say. One game out (and one where we're highly unlikely to get anything anyway) doesn't change that.

See now a lot of people have been saying this and I have been resisting comment, but there is always a chance isn't there?

Yes there is, especially if we have our match winners with us, Alas! our best one isn't available though! This is the problem. It has happened this way too often for us with Owen. We need the guy and at the moment are quite reliant on him, which is what actually sucks.

Jonas should alleviate this and hopefully with some more new attacking additions it will be alleviated further.

No Ronaldo, no Nani, no Anderson, Rooney not quite at 100%. It's a great opportunity to punch those punks square in the mouth and kick Sky in the balls, but Owen won't be playing and it is gutwrenching.

I suppose so. There's obviously two schools of thought about MO, I'm just a natural optomist - it almost seems like some people are hoping for our players to fail so they can wallow.[/b}

Don't you dare. I'm not telling any lies here am I?

I would love for him to turn it around but here we are at the start of a brand new season and he isn't here yet again? He has never started a season succesfully with us since his first one has he? He also hasn't been involved all summer too don't forget because of other ailments, so it's not like he just got injured.

I can't help but feel that this is the nature of the player. If your saying, oh well no matter, I want him on the team anyway, give him a new deal. Then fair enough that's your opinion. However, if you are expecting things to be different with him all of a sudden, then I'm not so sure.

Guest optimistic nit

owen could easily be our most important player next season, he is still a great striker, but hes no use to us injured. i dont think he will sign a new contract if im honest, at least until january, when he will look at what is available to him, and decide then.

Guest neesy111

owen could easily be our most important player next season, he is still a great striker, but hes no use to us injured. i dont think he will sign a new contract if im honest, at least until january, when he will look at what is available to him, and decide then.

i have said, if we can get replacement striker who can score 15-20 goals a season, then sell owen, his wages and injuries are not worth the hassle

i have said, if we can get replacement striker who can score 15-20 goals a season, then sell owen, his wages and injuries are not worth the hassle

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aye, that'll be easy.

You'd want rid of Martins too then I take it? Seeing as he started less games than Owen.

:lol:

Dave are you kidding me?

I'm not talking of one season here. This isn't based on last year. Owen signed a four year deal? And in that 4 years he hasn't had a run of gamesmore than what 10 in a roe or so? And this was only last season!

Imagine if Blackburn had written Shearer off after one or two seasons of bad injuries, heck, imagine if we had after his crap season in 97-98 when he'd been, a) injured and b) sh*te.

I don't like this comparison at all. It disturbs me deeply.

Give over with the stupid over-reactions man.

One game has now become two ... very frustrating situation.

It's just the same old thing. Well, I hope this at least puts us in a much stronger position regarding contract negotiations. Although, I really am beginning to lean more towards not giving the guy a new deal at all.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/20/michael-owen-losing-bolton-match-fitness-bid-72703-21567929/

Guest MrShens

I think he'll sign his contract because I'm fairly sure deep down he knows he won't get much of a better deal anywhere else.  Also, I honestly believe if we get a quality AMF in the team and Martins/Duke are consistently fit then Owen will put the goals in for fun.

I'm not worried about his "injury" problems, considering the guy had the mumps only a few weeks ago it's to be expected that he isn't fully sharp - you wouldn't want to play your star striker when he wasn't 100% fit because if he got injured on the pitch then Keegan would get some serious grief for being "so silly" as to risking him.

The fans of this club are far too fickle when it comes to Owen, give the guy a chance to actually get on the pitch and do the magic before hurling the abuse.

I think he'll sign his contract because I'm fairly sure deep down he knows he won't get much of a better deal anywhere else.  Also, I honestly believe if we get a quality AMF in the team and Martins/Duke are consistently fit then Owen will put the goals in for fun.

I'm not worried about his "injury" problems, considering the guy had the mumps only a few weeks ago it's to be expected that he isn't fully sharp - you wouldn't want to play your star striker when he wasn't 100% fit because if he got injured on the pitch then Keegan would get some serious grief for being "so silly" as to risking him.

The fans of this club are far too fickle when it comes to Owen, give the guy a chance to actually get on the pitch and do the magic before hurling the abuse.

I think we have a right to express our dissatisfaction due to the extortionate amount he has cost us since he has been here with very little return for it. Although obviously I'm aware a lot of it isn't his fault.

Guest Mantis

I am sick to death of all the debate about Owen. Will he play, wont he play? He has not kicked a ball in a proper game in how long?  He was a possibility for Man U a week or so ago, now he's definately out for Bolton.  The contract scenario just sums up the contempt within football, rewarded for being available half a season while the ever presents get less than a quarter of his pay.  His inability to stay fit staggers me.  I wont even start on the ozzie. 

I am trying to be positive about the team for this season, as long as I can block Owen out of my head.

I am sick to death of all the debate about Owen. Will he play, wont he play? He has not kicked a ball in a proper game in how long?  He was a possibility for Man U a week or so ago, now he's definately out for Bolton.  The contract scenario just sums up the contempt within football, rewarded for being available half a season while the ever presents get less than a quarter of his pay.  His inability to stay fit staggers me.  I wont even start on the ozzie. 

I am trying to be positive about the team for this season, as long as I can block Owen out of my head.

The final game of last season. Ages ago. :rolleyes:

I got to say in respect to the Owen contract situation that I'm not feeling confident at all. If he does not sign before the end of this transfer window, we might as well get a replacement in sooner rather than later because he'll leave on free after this season.

When Owen is on form there's no doubt he is important for us. He's a cracking player. Unfortunately, he is extremely (unlucky?) to be as inj. prone that he is. I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but I think we should sell him (unless Keegan's got some marvellous plan to make him recover and find his good old form) given we find a WOW-replacement before the window closes.

Guest MrShens

I think we have a right to express our dissatisfaction due to the extortionate amount he has cost us since he has been here with very little return for it. Although obviously I'm aware a lot of it isn't his fault.

Of course people have the right to give their views as he hasn't had anywhere near as many games as most people would have liked to see him in.  I think however, if anything, it should be Viduka that is questioned about his place in the team, not Owen.

I know Owen is 'over' his injury problems, but he does tend to miss a lot of games during a season, and so does Viduka. Whether Owen signs a new contract or not I don't really care, but I would like to see another striker brought in so I'm not constantly praying one of those two will be fit for the next match.

Did I mention that I think we need to sign a new striker?

Guest microbar

We really need to cut our losses with owen and get rid while he has some value.

We have had enough of his sick notes,

Sell him now and move on :clap: