Michael Owen in 2008-09

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm not Owen's biggest fan but I said at the end of last season, getting him signed up for more years could well prove to be our biggest signing this summer and I stand by that, he's a goalscorer simple as that.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Its s*** like this that gets people in trouble

Look at the two sources

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/article16801.ece

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/08/24/Prem-Owen-on-new-contract/

OWEN FACES CRUNCH TALKS

Newcastle future hangs in balance over wage cut plan

By ROB SHEPHERD  :angry:, 23/08/2008

MICHAEL OWEN will be involved in crunch talks with Newcastle this week as his future hangs in the balance.

Negotiations over the striker’s contract have been dragging on since May and the two sides are still struggling to reach a settlement.

A source close to the talks said: “We are getting towards the business end of things now.

“It has gone on for so long without any real progress being made and it can’t continue too much longer.”

Reports that Newcastle are offering the England international a £140,000-a-week deal are grossly inaccurate.

WHAT A HEADACHE - Kevin Keegan

In fact, the club are adamant he must take a CUT in his current £120,000-a-week wages.

But while Owen is keen to continue his career at St James’ Park, particularly under Kevin Keegan, he is not prepared to lower his income significantly.

And failure to strike a deal could prove costly for the club.

With Owen’s current contract due to expire at the end of the season, Newcastle fear they could lose their star man on a free transfer next summer.

Unless a new agreement is reached Owen will be free to talk to any clubs on January 1 — and that could trigger a rush of interest from Premier League rivals.

The only alternative would be for the Geordies to sell Owen for a knockdown fee of around £5million before next weekend’s transfer deadline.

So far, though, there has been no interest from would-be buyers.

Setanta

Owen reveals contract impasse

by Tom Kell, 24 August 2008

Michael Owen admits time is running out for him to commit his future to Newcastle.

Owen, who missed the entirety of his club’s pre-season campaign, returned to action in emphatic fashion on Saturday, coming off the bench to head the decisive goal in the 1-0 win over Bolton.

The England striker’s current contract runs until the end of the current campaign and talks have thus far produced little progress.

Eternal optimist Kevin Keegan claimed on Saturday that a new deal was ‘pretty close’ to being concluded, but Owen appears to have a different take to his manager.

“Things have gone on for so long without any real progress being made,” the former Liverpool man said in the News of the World.

“It cannot continue too much longer.”

Guest sombrero

i just dont know waht to think of owen any more, when u think of martins u think what a solid player, he could nick a couple of goals, i was extremely explosive when owen scored yesterdayk, clapping my hands as if we won the premiership, but i still feel that our reaction to michael owen would have been SO different had he not scored!, i know its good to have him in the squad for marketing purposes too. all in all, he needs to do more to prove he deserves all that money!, in my eyes jonas deserves that money, how much is spiderman on anyway?

i've got a fiver on him to be prem top scorer at 44-1.

thinking if he stays fit and has a good start (ie like the end of last season),and doesn't renew his contract he could be a good cheep option for one of the clubs in europe.

those odds were too good to turn down

Like Tottenham and Sunderland?

i just dont know waht to think of owen any more, when u think of martins u think what a solid player, he could nick a couple of goals, i was extremely explosive when owen scored yesterdayk, clapping my hands as if we won the premiership, but i still feel that our reaction to michael owen would have been SO different had he not scored!, i know its good to have him in the squad for marketing purposes too. all in all, he needs to do more to prove he deserves all that money!, in my eyes jonas deserves that money, how much is spiderman on anyway?

:idiot2:

i've got a fiver on him to be prem top scorer at 44-1.

thinking if he stays fit and has a good start (ie like the end of last season),and doesn't renew his contract he could be a good cheep option for one of the clubs in europe.

those odds were too good to turn down

Like Tottenham and Sunderland?

thinking man utd actually.

fook me hope your mates dont read this s*** ,they would take the piss for weeks ,write what you know about football on the back of a postage stamp and hand it out when you get back to school  ;D

Interesting description  :colo:  How explosive is extremely explosive? Mmmmm how did you explode?    ;D ;D ;D

I'm not too sure, you got to ask Hollywood for how much spiderman is on.  ;D ;D ;D

Not the Martins vs Owen debate again? Can't people just be happy that we've got both?

I wonder if you go on Red Cafe that they have big debates about Tevez and Rooney, with the Tevez fans kicking off when he scores because Rooney is more popular? :lol:

Martins' all around play is poor.  People like to gloss over it because he's become something of a cult figure, but if he wasn't he'd be getting some grief for it.

EDIT And I don't think that that's even remotely controversial btw.

his all round play CAN be poor. Just as Owen's can be non-existant

His all round play IS GENERALLY poor is closer to the truth tbh.  Owen's contribution CAN be non-existent.  Do you see the difference?

And I think most can see it but don't like to admit it.

your truth is my lie then, that's life

he was immense at old trafford last week imo...yesterday i felt he suffered (as he does a lot at home) from tight marking/being crowded out

there are DIFFERENT types of player you know?  martins strength in one area is another strikers weakness...that's why you need strikers of varying styles

martins will excel, and did at the end of last season, when he's got space to exploit but at home he's less likely to get that playing on his own than he would be with owen or viduka...duff was with him yeserday and was utterly unable to do anything to create space for martins to use

to me your argument is like critising a big physical CB who is very good in the air for being shit on the ground, or a smaller attacking FB for not being as good in the air

name me some COMPLETE strikers in the english game these days...i can think of torres, maybe drogba, most everyone else i can think of have gaps in their game and in that i include being injury prone

Sorry like but you don't get to say that there aren't many complete strikers in the game, so it's ok for Martins to have gaping holes in his. 

that's not actually what i said though is it gemmill?  try again

Looks a lot like what you've said to me.  You asked me to name complete strikers, presumably to prove your argument that there aren't many, therefore it's ok for Martins to not be one.  I responded by pointing out that Martins is far from just not quite being the complete striker.  I've conceded that he'll get the odd goal because he's quick and can exploit spaces but I think that we can expect a lot more from him when he's required to get involved in the match.  For instance, I'm a big fan of footballers who can control the ball and then find a teammate with a pass.  Which precludes me from being a big fan of Martins.

i'm a big fan of footballers who actually earn their money on the football pitch for the club that pay their wages, which precludes me from being a big fan of michael owen

we could do this dance all day...i don't actually believe the above but it highlights strange your point is, to pick this facet when it's not actually the main part of martins game, some of the best goalscorers in the past have had limited games (rush, lineker et al)

i think i've made my case reasonably well but i'll repeat it - we've got a striker who can do a few things very well and other teams struggle to cope with him when he does them (martins) & we've another 2 strikers who are the same but for different reasons (owen/viduka)

why aren't you complaining about owens inability to stretch opposing teams with his devastating pace?  because he can't do it anymore, it's not his game, it's martins's

i can see your point, totally, but it's a moot one imo when you're asking a player to perform a function that's not his strength then criticising him for not being great at it

as for your point in bold i guess it precludes you from being a fan of nicky butt, damien duff, james milner & alan smith as well?  or are they somehow immune to this?  why pick martins, he's more of a threat than anyone in our squad except arguably owen (i don't see spiderman having proven it yet)

Not the Martins vs Owen debate again? Can't people just be happy that we've got both?

I wonder if you go on Red Cafe that they have big debates about Tevez and Rooney, with the Tevez fans kicking off when he scores because Rooney is more popular? :lol:

you'd think, but martins isn't good enough doncha know?

I think we're watching different players.

I think you're a racist tbh

I hope this remark was made as a wind-up ; if not, it shows a failure to make your view stick on the basic football facts, hence resorting to the last-chance saloon of all Ultra-Liberal/Left wing people by attempting to smear the opposing view as 'Racist' - this is also an attempt to shut down debate on sensitive issues which SHOULD be aired..

For your info, although I wasn't the target of this remark, I can inform you that my all-time football hero was Pele, so colour doesn't come into it - its ABILITY that counts, and regardless of his colour, Martins doesn't have as much of it as Owen - LIVE WITH IT, or argue the point with FACTS not accusations.

I hope this remark was made as a wind-up ; if not, it shows a failure to make your view stick on the basic football facts, hence resorting to the last-chance saloon of all Ultra-Liberal/Left wing people by attempting to smear the opposing view as 'Racist' - this is also an attempt to shut down debate on sensitive issues which SHOULD be aired..

For your info, although I wasn't the target of this remark, I can inform you that my all-time football hero was Pele, so colour doesn't come into it - its ABILITY that counts, and regardless of his colour, Martins doesn't have as much of it as Owen - LIVE WITH IT, or argue the point with FACTS not accusations.

why didn't you read on a few posts and see it was all resolved as a joke? 

how anyone thought it wouldn't be is mental

Just watching his interview after the game. Seem's like a different person from the start of last season. Well up for it and you can tell he has the hunger back. I really slated him but the end of last season he was bang in form and hopefully it will continue this season.

:laugh:

Martins' all around play is poor.  People like to gloss over it because he's become something of a cult figure, but if he wasn't he'd be getting some grief for it.

EDIT And I don't think that that's even remotely controversial btw.

his all round play CAN be poor. Just as Owen's can be non-existant

His all round play IS GENERALLY poor is closer to the truth tbh.  Owen's contribution CAN be non-existent.  Do you see the difference?

And I think most can see it but don't like to admit it.

your truth is my lie then, that's life

he was immense at old trafford last week imo...yesterday i felt he suffered (as he does a lot at home) from tight marking/being crowded out

there are DIFFERENT types of player you know?  martins strength in one area is another strikers weakness...that's why you need strikers of varying styles

martins will excel, and did at the end of last season, when he's got space to exploit but at home he's less likely to get that playing on his own than he would be with owen or viduka...duff was with him yeserday and was utterly unable to do anything to create space for martins to use

to me your argument is like critising a big physical CB who is very good in the air for being shit on the ground, or a smaller attacking FB for not being as good in the air

name me some COMPLETE strikers in the english game these days...i can think of torres, maybe drogba, most everyone else i can think of have gaps in their game and in that i include being injury prone

Sorry like but you don't get to say that there aren't many complete strikers in the game, so it's ok for Martins to have gaping holes in his. 

that's not actually what i said though is it gemmill?  try again

Looks a lot like what you've said to me.  You asked me to name complete strikers, presumably to prove your argument that there aren't many, therefore it's ok for Martins to not be one.  I responded by pointing out that Martins is far from just not quite being the complete striker.  I've conceded that he'll get the odd goal because he's quick and can exploit spaces but I think that we can expect a lot more from him when he's required to get involved in the match.  For instance, I'm a big fan of footballers who can control the ball and then find a teammate with a pass.  Which precludes me from being a big fan of Martins.

i'm a big fan of footballers who actually earn their money on the football pitch for the club that pay their wages, which precludes me from being a big fan of michael owen

we could do this dance all day...i don't actually believe the above but it highlights strange your point is, to pick this facet when it's not actually the main part of martins game, some of the best goalscorers in the past have had limited games (rush, lineker et al)

i think i've made my case reasonably well but i'll repeat it - we've got a striker who can do a few things very well and other teams struggle to cope with him when he does them (martins) & we've another 2 strikers who are the same but for different reasons (owen/viduka)

why aren't you complaining about owens inability to stretch opposing teams with his devastating pace?  because he can't do it anymore, it's not his game, it's martins's

i can see your point, totally, but it's a moot one imo when you're asking a player to perform a function that's not his strength then criticising him for not being great at it

as for your point in bold i guess it precludes you from being a fan of nicky butt, damien duff, james milner & alan smith as well?  or are they somehow immune to this?  why pick martins, he's more of a threat than anyone in our squad except arguably owen (i don't see spiderman having proven it yet)

:clap:

Guest sombrero

Interesting description   :colo:   How explosive is extremely explosive? Mmmmm how did you explode?    ;D ;D ;D

I'm not too sure, you got to ask Hollywood for how much spiderman is on.   ;D ;D ;D

fuck you all, im just sharing my opinion, if you wana act like fucking kids then your a fucking waste of time on the forum, i know what im talking about it appears you didnt understand what my point was. dont be fucking rude, were all newcastle fans here, and others share my opinion so fook off  :rant:

Guest sombrero

and ericz, i bet u fucking shat urself when martins scored so dont take the piss out of "explosove" cuz u fooking know well enough that it was, you never felt better in ur life and you know it, 

and biggs ur equally a cunt, some of the shit that is written on this forum is much worse than what i had to say so get of my back, u dont like my posts, dont fooking reply, cunt