Michael Owen in 2008-09

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

have to say it was nice to see owen getting applauded when warming up and getting a good reception when he came on against bolton, seemed a lot warmer than any reception he got last year, hopefully most of the idiots that booed him are now gone and not coming back

Guest Gemmill

Thank god for Venkman and Madras.  Oh and Merlin.  I was beginning to think that I was the only one that could see this.

Thank god for Venkman and Madras.  Oh and Merlin.  I was beginning to think that I was the only one that could see this.

i personally think you're all comparing apples & oranges in the above, not of it's untrue about either player but you're ignoring the bits you don't want to acknowledge 'cause it suits you

i'd sum up my view on relfection with; they both can play link up but in different areas of the pitch, owen is far better in tighter games like bolton as we saw dropping deep, martins is better on the move than owen as we've seen with some of his very good link up play with spiderman

It occured to me last night, is Michael Owen going to be able to go to World Cup 2010?

He needs vaccinations for yellow fever, typhoid, hepatitis and diphtheria.

Given that the mumps were caused by the combination of a mumps jab, and the anti-rejection tablets he takes for his knee, he can't guarantee the same wont happen again.

Certainly, in the case of hepatitis it would damage his career, and with the timing some of the jabs require, he could miss the end of the 2010 domestic season if he had a reaction.

It occured to me last night, is Michael Owen going to be able to go to World Cup 2010?

Given that the mumps were caused by the combination of a mumps jab, and the anti-rejection tablets he takes for his knee, he can't guarantee the same wont happen again.

Certainly, in the case of hepatitis it would damage his career, and with the timing some of the jabs require, he could miss the end of the 2010 domestic season if he had a reaction.

Dont worry, we wont qualify

Shearer still managed to score 30 goals in the season he was mainly alongside Duncan Ferguson though.

Makes you wonder why we bought Bellamy then? And why we went on to play Champs League Football after that? SBR must just have got lucky.

Eh? All I'm saying is that a striker can still score goals even if he's playing with a similar sort of player.

But all the talk when Ferguson came in was that it was pairing two dissimilar strikers together. Shearer rightly pointed out that up till that point the partnerships he'd liked best where when he was playing on the shoulder as the mobile goalscorer alongside a targetman (Sutton, Newell) or creative striker (Sheringham). Ferguson was brought in to win aerial balls and link up with the rest of the side, leaving Shearer to concentrate on scoring.

Robson tried to replicate this with Carl Cort but this was when shearer's ability to play like that was on the decline -  missing 2001 due to injury didn't help. it wasn't until Robson brought in Bellamy and changed Shearer's role that he too became like a Duncan Ferguson type, playing deeper with his back to goal.

i personally think you're all comparing apples & oranges in the above, not of it's untrue about either player but you're ignoring the bits you don't want to acknowledge 'cause it suits you

i'd sum up my view on relfection with; they both can play link up but in different areas of the pitch, owen is far better in tighter games like bolton as we saw dropping deep, martins is better on the move than owen as we've seen with some of his very good link up play with spiderman

I'd agree with that. I'm an Owen fan btw, I said before the game it was a big plus to have him fit for the bench. The difference is, I can see the assets Martins brings to the side, not just single out his flaws.

Wading into the Martins vs Owen debate, if I could rank all the NUFC strikers I've seen in terms of ability while at Newcastle when fit, it would be:

1. Shearer

2. Ferdinand

3. Beardsley

4. Owen

5. Cole

6. Asprilla

7. Bellamy

8. Viduka

9. Martins

10. Ferguson

In short, I think Martins is good, but Owen is very good.

When we are playing well with Owen in the team, I sometimes get filled with a genuine feeling pride because a player like Owen is playing for Newcastle. I don't get that for Martins, who is more of a cult hero than anything else. He's a nice player to have, but I can think of players who bring much more substance to the team.

When we are playing well with Owen in the team, I sometimes get filled with a genuine feeling pride because a player like Owen is playing for Newcastle. I don't get that for Martins, who is more of a cult hero than anything else. He's a nice player to have, but I can think of players who bring much more substance to the team.

Wouldn't argue with any of that. Owen is a class above Martins as a footballer, but Martins pace and ability to pull wide give us an extra option especially on the counter. One of the reasons why even with Viduka and Owen both fit, Keegan made room for Martins in his side last season.

Wading into the Martins vs Owen debate, if I could rank all the NUFC strikers I've seen in terms of ability while at Newcastle when fit, it would be:

1. Shearer

2. Ferdinand

3. Beardsley

4. Owen

5. Cole

6. Asprilla

7. Bellamy

8. Viduka

9. Martins

10. Ferguson

Cole ahead of Tino? This is a list of 'ability' not 'ability to stand in the box and tap it in after Pedro has skinned three' isn't it?

Guest rebel_yell12

I am told by the medical professional in my life (my mum) that Owen should be finishing his rounds of immuno-suppressants at this point (18 months - two years on from his surgery) -- with major organ transplants immuno-suppressants may need to be a life-long regime, but apparently not with lesser things like ligaments.  It will take another 6 months or so to get his system fully up, then he should have the same immune system as any other healthy male in his late 20s. 

There is also the issue of whether a vaccine is a "live" vaccine.  Mumps is a live vaccine.  Measles, for example, is not.  Only live vaccines would be a risk, even on the immuno-suppresants. 

1. Shearer

2. Ferdinand

3. Beardsley

4. Owen

5. Cole

6. Asprilla

7. Bellamy

8. Viduka

9. Martins

10. Ferguson

fair enough that like, wouldn't argue much with the placings, a little but not much...however the key part is in bold for me as it means the placings of owen, viduka & ferguson are somewhat vulnerable, and you could argue the same for tino & bellamy to a degree

include fitness in the scenario, which you really have to do, and i'd probably go for the following (left the origingal numbers in for reference):

1. Shearer

2. Ferdinand

3. Beardsley

5. Cole

7. Bellamy

9. Martins

4. Owen

6. Asprilla

8. Viduka

10. Ferguson

I can understand Shearer being top but Peter Beardsley is many folks all time great so not sure how he is not 2nd on both lists. I guess yous are only using Premierleague Beardsley but STILL!!!

I was 8 or 9 for the likes of Cole and Beardsley, so my recollections are likely to be a little skewed when it comes to the likes of those.

I can understand Shearer being top but Peter Beardsley is many folks all time great so not sure how he is not 2nd on both lists. I guess yous are only using Premierleague Beardsley but STILL!!!

fuck you're probably right there aye, in fact you are..copy/paste exercise

1. Shearer

2. Ferdinand

3. Beardsley

4. Owen

5. Cole

6. Asprilla

7. Bellamy

8. Viduka

9. Martins

10. Ferguson

fair enough that like, wouldn't argue much with the placings, a little but not much...however the key part is in bold for me as it means the placings of owen, viduka & ferguson are somewhat vulnerable, and you could argue the same for tino & bellamy to a degree

include fitness in the scenario, which you really have to do, and i'd probably go for the following (left the origingal numbers in for reference):

1. Shearer

2. Ferdinand

3. Beardsley

5. Cole

7. Bellamy

9. Martins

4. Owen

6. Asprilla

8. Viduka

10. Ferguson

Viduka and Ferguson aside, these players have all been capable of playing at least 20 games a season, and I'd rather have an Owen Viduka pairing when everyone is fit, with Martins being an able deputy making numerous appearances either as an injury replacement, a substitute, or as an additional striker.

Owen is better, without a doubt, and will always score more but it seems to me there's a chronic understating on this board of just what the threat of Martins' pace and tenacity brings to our side.  I find it hard to discount him just because his footballing brain isn't as good as Owen's when his mere presence drastically changes how defenses line up against us.

I'm happy they're both here, end of.

Guest Howaythetoon

Cole was very underrated, he was a much better footballer than people gave him credit for. Watch the old tapes, he was involved in lots of moves and was far more than just a poacher, he was excellent in the air for example.

Regarding Martins and Owen. All I know is we are much better with BOTH in the side.

purely subjective list:

1. Beardsley

2. Shearer

3. Cole

4. Ferdinand

5. Bellamy

6. Owen

7. Martins

8. Asprilla

9. Viduka

10. Kluivert

11. Ferguson

then you have shite like Tomasson, Ameobi, Cort, Guivarch, Andersson, Rush, Lua Lua, Luque, Dalglish, Maric, Rossi, Sibierski, Smith etc etc

would say the top 4 were brilliant , 5-7 have all done very well here, 8 & 9 decent, 10 & 11 in the margins of being ok or crap (maybe Le Sib, Ameobi and a couple others would be in this category.)

Guest Howaythetoon

Owen is better, without a doubt, and will always score more but it seems to me there's a chronic understating on this board of just what the threat of Martins' pace and tenacity brings to our side.  I find it hard to discount him just because his footballing brain isn't as good as Owen's when his mere presence drastically changes how defenses line up against us.

I'm happy they're both here, end of.

Martins rarely uses his pace to any effect and likewise NUFC don't seem to use it either, probably due to the player's lack of ideas in using this pace more than anything else. Martins is obviously a threat though because for a player with such an average game he has scored a good tally of goals and gets paid close attention by opponents. For me his main strengths are his ball carrying skills and his twisting and turning which can open up space and stretch sides in another way to getting in behind them. He must be a nightmare to play against because of this and just as much because of his unpredictability, another strength of his. He's also very strong and good in the air, he can shield the ball well in that sense but when it goes to his feet he can be sloppy due to poor control or not quick thinking enough, he hesitates far too often.

I'm not so sure about a Martins, Owen partnership but when they played with Viduka they were an excellent attacking unit. Viduka is a handful for any defender and then you had Owen dropping deep causing confusion over marking and to top it all off you had Oba cutting in from wherever he would pop up next. Would like to see some more of that this season. Maybe Owen and Martins could play together but it will need a bit of thought in how they play off each other. If you had Jonas up supporting them then it might work better.

Man, I fucking love Michael Owen.

I was going mental with some fucker at work today who like millions of others takes only the slightest bit of interest in the toon but thinks his views are gospel.

Saying we should sell "that little cunt Owen" as soon as possible.  :rolleyes:

I despair, I really do.