So, who's signing this week?

Coxaux

KEV'S BIG DEAL

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

Kevin Keegan is ready to sign Hamburg's giant Cameroon left-back Thimothee Atouba.

The former Tottenham defender is available at a bargain price and wants to return to the Premier League from Germany, where he is playing for Martin Jol again.

Atouba had a mixed time at Spurs, where Jol often chopped and changed him, and hewould jump at a move to Tyneside.

Keegan is looking for a left-back and has homed in on 6ft 3in Atouba, 26, after Toon's transfer negotiators failed to land Steven Warnock from Blackburn.

Rovers would want well over £6million despite the sustained efforts of wheelerdealer Dennis Wise to broker the move.

Keegan is puzzled by attempts to set up swap deals for Warnock so will push the Atouba option hard.

Advertisement

He would have no problem gaining a work permit and could be a lucky charm - the only goal he scored for Spurs was against Newcastle.

Meanwhile, Keegan has blocked winger James Milner's £9million move to Aston Villa.

Ok so it sounds like Warnock is a no goer, can anyone remember Atouba? I thought he looked pretty decent, but maybe i was swayed with his goal against us.  ???

Guest Heneage

No no Imean more, one of hose srikers who doesnt give a monkeys backside who hes against, that quality drogba has to just bully players, literally go up and say ive got the ball theres the goal job done. I mean tbh its the opposite of Vidukas approach hes more clever, I rate Viduka highly his awareness is second to none at the club.

KEV'S BIG DEAL

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

Kevin Keegan is ready to sign Hamburg's giant Cameroon left-back Thimothee Atouba.

The former Tottenham defender is available at a bargain price and wants to return to the Premier League from Germany, where he is playing for Martin Jol again.

Atouba had a mixed time at Spurs, where Jol often chopped and changed him, and hewould jump at a move to Tyneside.

Keegan is looking for a left-back and has homed in on 6ft 3in Atouba, 26, after Toon's transfer negotiators failed to land Steven Warnock from Blackburn.

Rovers would want well over £6million despite the sustained efforts of wheelerdealer Dennis Wise to broker the move.

Keegan is puzzled by attempts to set up swap deals for Warnock so will push the Atouba option hard.

Advertisement

He would have no problem gaining a work permit and could be a lucky charm - the only goal he scored for Spurs was against Newcastle.

Meanwhile, Keegan has blocked winger James Milner's £9million move to Aston Villa.

Ok so it sounds like Warnock is a no goer, can anyone remember Atouba? I thought he looked pretty decent, but maybe i was swayed with his goal against us.  ???

He's poor in defence IIRC, also I'm sure he's the guy that stuck two fingers up at his own fans when they booed him off the pitch :lol:

Yep, lets get Riquelme and Saviola. Imagine the same formation as yesterday with those two in and Milner and Duff out:)

KEV'S BIG DEAL

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

Advertisement

Didn't he once have an absolute nightmare when playing up here ??

Sure it was him that Dyer skinned time and time again and he looked awful.

No fooking thanks :(

I saw Atouba a couple of times and I never understood why he wasn't rated at Spurs, thought he looked a decent player.

Did he not score a goal against us a few seasons back when he just sauntered forward, nobody closed him down and he hit it from about 25 yards?

(Edit - just read the article properly and it mentions that goal).

KEEGAN WAITING ON `WOW` FACTOR

Posted 18/08/08 07:15

Kevin Keegan must now wait to see if Newcastle's mooted 'wow' signing comes off.

The Toon opened their Premier League season impressively by holding champions Manchester United to a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford on Sunday.

There could be more additions to Keegan's squad before the transfer window closes, with owner Mike Ashley apparently having promised a 'wow' signing.

Argentina star Javier Saviola has been mentioned but Keegan's demands are rather more straightforward.

"Too often in the recent past we have bought players who have not been quite good enough," he said.

"They have either not settled or not understood what it means to play for Newcastle.

"You can't just say good players can play at Newcastle because history will prove they cannot."

For a team that conceded 11 goals in two meetings with Manchester United last season and have not won at Old Trafford since 1972, Sunday provided a positive start to the new campaign.

"I don't think it has been a bad summer but then I have not been reading what has been written," said Keegan.

"But in football at the moment, you don't want these things on your doorstep, at your club.

"It is nice to get a good result so it goes on to another club but I don't envy whoever it is."

Get em in Kev  :clap2:

Somehow I have a feeling that we're going to offload Owen before end of the transfer window. And replace him with another quality stirker but at lower wages a la Zigic, Saviola etc...

Also another left back. Atouba or one of these already linked players. Plus the "wow" signing is our long awaited creative midfielder. Riquelme maybe as he's yet another Argie but doesn't quite fit the new age policy so one of these bright young Argetinian talents would also fit the bill. I wouldn't mind Mathias Fernandez, Juan Arango or another their type of a player...