So, who's signing this week?

Coxaux

Don't want to stir up trouble but if you look at Keegan's interview after the game yesterday (bbc website) he didn't actually recommend or give the go-ahead for the Gutierrez signing. He says that "Wise and Jimenez called me and told me they'd got this bloke called spiderman in...so i looked him up"

Curious...

why is that curious? they're doing they're job ffs!! do you expect KK to sell the tickets and the burgers aswell? all clubs have scouts, we've got some pretty good ones at the minute by the looks of our three new signings yesterday. its extremely small minded to suggest that you could be 'stirring up trouble' by quoting kk. its been said countless times by people within the club that KK has final say on transfers, he's just got some people working with him to find good players, its a pretty sweet deal if you ask me, get a grip.

Small minded? Get a grip?

How am i being small-minded? The difference between what you say happens with a DF and what we seem to have here is that Keegan as the manager knows who the DF is going after, either by recommendation from the DF or instruction to the DF on who to bring in. It's completely different if the DF brings someone in and THEN informs Keegan who he's got. Which is what keegan said in that interview.

Like you say, all clubs have scouts. I agree with having a big scouting team. They 'scout out' players and identify them to the manager PRIOR to any action being taken. No scout signs players without prior authorisation from the man who will have to manage that player. Yet Keegan suggests this isn't the case at the toon. In which case, i find this curious.

N.B. i've responded to your post without making jibes at your personal character and using over-the-top suggestions which you have above. I'd like the same courtesy in return. Whether i get it or not says more about you than me.

'when dennis wise and tony jimenez told me they'd got this guy called spiderman i looked him up'

so you take from that, that jonas was signed without kk's say so? over his head? despite ashley publicly stating that keegan has final say on transfers? despite keegan saying he's happy with the way they're all working together? is it not possible that by 'got' he meant 'scouted' rather than 'signed'?

in recent days we've heard nothing but positivity and sense (imo) from the owner and manager, we then went to old trafford and put in a great performance, and whats more all the new lads looked great. why come out with this stuff man? do you work for the sun?

and ultimately, even IF all the players are signed with out kk's say so, which is a ludicrous assumption imo, knowing the man as we do, he's happy, he's smiling, he's positive, the team are playing well, whats the problem?

N.B. i didnt say anything about your personal character in general, i said it was small minded of you to assume you could be stirring up trouble. maybe you've gotten what you wanted, which is a reaction, but when i see our fans helping out the media in the attempts to mess with us, i cant help but react.

Look, i'm not looking for a reaction. And of course i don't work for the sun. All employees of the American must support Manyoo or Liverpool (Villa don't count).

I'm not saying all signings are made above keegan's head, just that it's 'curious'. WTF is wrong with saying that? I'm not saying it's good or bad, but merely curious. I'd like to know more about what's going on with recruitment, how it's run etc.

Ashley also said in that interview that Dennis Wise' job was to bring in 6or7 youngsters per season. What keegan says about Jonas ostensibly contradicts this. Why not quote that at me?

For any REAL fan of newcastle united, a debate about the actualities of our club is welcomed regardless of whether some c*** from the Sun or any other paper might pick up on it. Keegan cares not about the press, but the club and so do i. I love discussing my club. All aspects of what's going on at my club. Not everything  but that which the press might use. They're resourceful enough to come up with their own rumours anyway (they often do).

Again, please refrain from asking stupid questions of me which are obviously not going to be true. Can it be i'm just a die-hard newcastle fan that wants to debate the club i love? Let's leave it at that hmm Dr?

Don't want to stir up trouble but if you look at Keegan's interview after the game yesterday (bbc website) he didn't actually recommend or give the go-ahead for the Gutierrez signing. He says that "Wise and Jimenez called me and told me they'd got this bloke called spiderman in...so i looked him up"

Curious...

why is that curious? they're doing they're job ffs!! do you expect KK to sell the tickets and the burgers aswell? all clubs have scouts, we've got some pretty good ones at the minute by the looks of our three new signings yesterday. its extremely small minded to suggest that you could be 'stirring up trouble' by quoting kk. its been said countless times by people within the club that KK has final say on transfers, he's just got some people working with him to find good players, its a pretty sweet deal if you ask me, get a grip.

Small minded? Get a grip?

How am i being small-minded? The difference between what you say happens with a DF and what we seem to have here is that Keegan as the manager knows who the DF is going after, either by recommendation from the DF or instruction to the DF on who to bring in. It's completely different if the DF brings someone in and THEN informs Keegan who he's got. Which is what keegan said in that interview.

Like you say, all clubs have scouts. I agree with having a big scouting team. They 'scout out' players and identify them to the manager PRIOR to any action being taken. No scout signs players without prior authorisation from the man who will have to manage that player. Yet Keegan suggests this isn't the case at the toon. In which case, i find this curious.

N.B. i've responded to your post without making jibes at your personal character and using over-the-top suggestions which you have above. I'd like the same courtesy in return. Whether i get it or not says more about you than me.

'when dennis wise and tony jimenez told me they'd got this guy called spiderman i looked him up'

so you take from that, that jonas was signed without kk's say so? over his head? despite ashley publicly stating that keegan has final say on transfers? despite keegan saying he's happy with the way they're all working together? is it not possible that by 'got' he meant 'scouted' rather than 'signed'?

in recent days we've heard nothing but positivity and sense (imo) from the owner and manager, we then went to old trafford and put in a great performance, and whats more all the new lads looked great. why come out with this stuff man? do you work for the sun?

and ultimately, even IF all the players are signed with out kk's say so, which is a ludicrous assumption imo, knowing the man as we do, he's happy, he's smiling, he's positive, the team are playing well, whats the problem?

N.B. i didnt say anything about your personal character in general, i said it was small minded of you to assume you could be stirring up trouble. maybe you've gotten what you wanted, which is a reaction, but when i see our fans helping out the media in the attempts to mess with us, i cant help but react.

Look, i'm not looking for a reaction. And of course i don't work for the sun. All employees of the American must support Manyoo or Liverpool (Villa don't count).

I'm not saying all signings are made above keegan's head, just that it's 'curious'. WTF is wrong with saying that? I'm not saying it's good or bad, but merely curious. I'd like to know more about what's going on with recruitment, how it's run etc.

Ashley also said in that interview that Dennis Wise' job was to bring in 6or7 youngsters per season. What keegan says about Jonas ostensibly contradicts this. Why not quote that at me?

For any REAL fan of newcastle united, a debate about the actualities of our club is welcomed regardless of whether some c*** from the Sun or any other paper might pick up on it. Keegan cares not about the press, but the club and so do i. I love discussing my club. All aspects of what's going on at my club. Not everything  but that which the press might use. They're resourceful enough to come up with their own rumours anyway (they often do).

Again, please refrain from asking stupid questions of me which are obviously not going to be true. Can it be i'm just a die-hard newcastle fan that wants to debate the club i love? Let's leave it at that hmm Dr?

Curious...

thats one massive assumption you've made there on very little evidence, in the face of stronger, conflicting evidence. you're either ignoring the evidence, you dont recognise it for what it is, or you do want to stir up trouble. lets just leave it at that.

Wasn't Keegan on holiday when they were dealing with that transfer? They would of had to act as quick as possible given the circumstances in this case. Don't see anyone complaining anyway, fucking superb signing.

In the grand scheme of things, does it matter? I'd rather have Keegan at the training ground all day anyway and infecting the players with his enthusiasm and indoctrinating them into his version of total football. If he's happy with the transfer set-up (which he's indicated on many many occasions that he is), and Wise and co look for players that KK will be able to work with, then there's no problem at all with the way things are being done.

Exactly. I remember Bobby said in his autobiography that his scouts found him the gems and he polished them. Similar relationship here, nothing wrong with it, if it works.

Agreed with both of you and if people want to think about it for just a few moments, are we saying that Modric was Ramos's target? Or that Arshavin was pointed out to the Spurs board by Ramos? It just doesnt work that way.

Also, whether Keegan had the final say or not on Jonas is irrelevant now, he plays in black and white and thats all that matters.

Keegan said in an interview that him and the scouting team were responsible for the capture of Gutierrez. He said that when trying to sign him everyone worked really well together and got the deal through quickly and without complications.

There's obviously a system set up there and if it's working then that's all that matters to me.

Guest Ante77

I really hope so. Take a look at this.

Please Juan Roman, take the magic to St James Park!

I can see us signing a Riquelme type of player.

The olympics should be over soon for Argentina. That would have been something something

Riquelme is back home in Argentina and had a great season with Boca Juniors.  I think he is currently injured as he missed Boca's preseason games and missed the opening game or two of the Apertura (sp??).

I think he is settled back home in AR, is a hero for Boca fans and won't be leaving again.

Guest Ante77

He´s actually plays the olympics at the moment, that´s the reason for us not to present him as the new Ginola!

Just wait....just wait...

Riquelme is back home in Argentina and had a great season with Boca Juniors.  I think he is currently injured as he missed Boca's preseason games and missed the opening game or two of the Apertura (sp??).

I think he is settled back home in AR, is a hero for Boca fans and won't be leaving again.

He´s actually plays the olympics at the moment, that´s the reason for us not to present him as the new Ginola!

Just wait....just wait...

Yup, he's spearheading Argentina into the semi-finals against Brazil in the Olympics at the moment.

Guest elpapi

pocognioli is a very young attacking left-back, bags of potential but only just moved to the dutch League from the Belgian League (small upgrade)... very lightweight and not ready yet for the Premier League. Two more years at AZ and he could be a good one...

IF we want a young Belgian player, there are two good options in positions we need a player:

1) DM: Marouane Fellaini (20): forget Onyewu, this is 'the beast' playing for Standard, who won the title last year (first time in about 30 years), upgrade on Faye and Butt, can pass, head and has a great engine. Had to leave the Olympics after the first game (in which he controversially got red) to play against Liverpool in the Qualifying Road of CL. I didn't see the game but Pool came out lucky with a draw I heard...

2) CF Moussa Dembele: You want an upgrade on Viduka? Smart, down-to-earth lad with bags of potential... almost single-handedly beat Italy in the QF of the Olympics... Great targetman who hardly ever loses the ball, great dribble, but needs to work on heading and finishing... Awesome player (to Belgian standards that is :-)) On top of that is his manager giving noises of him being interested in a move, although he won't move to a team where he won't play regularly...

Both are not ready for the 'big ones' yet but we would definitely be an upgrade for Standard and AZ... No Wow-signing but I would be very impressed if we could pull one of these off.

If I had a pound for every time Oliver used the words "transfer window" and "slams shut" in the same sentance I'd be a fucking millionaire. He's just a concoction of misinformation and cliches. I'm sure if we don't sign enough players I'll be seeing "paper thin squad" until December on a regular basis.