Few points after todays game

Decky

I think Kev's got a point actually.

I get the impression that a significant number of people take great delight in going to the match (or coming on here) just to hurl some abuse in the direction of which ever player they've chosen to have a vendetta against. Like Smith getting booed onto the pitch at the Valencia game, that was just fucking embarrassing, yeah, he may be shit, but that's hardly going to make him play better, is it!?! We've all been to matches and sat near someone who's slated a particular player from the beginning to the end, regardless of how they're playing, well a lot of people in here do the same fucking thing.

I'd love to hear someone explain to me how booing or berating our own players helps Newcastle United win football matches? Well, go on then.

The only player I've spent a game shouting at non-stop was Stephen Carr and have to admit it made him perform no better.  It made him perform no worse either though.

I get the impression that a significant number of people take great delight in going to the match (or coming on here) just to hurl some abuse in the direction of which ever player they've chosen to have a vendetta against. Like Smith getting booed onto the pitch at the Valencia game, that was just fucking embarrassing, yeah, he may be shit, but that's hardly going to make him play better, is it!?! We've all been to matches and sat near someone who's slated a particular player from the beginning to the end, regardless of how they're playing, well a lot of people in here do the same fucking thing.

I'd love to hear someone explain to me how booing or berating our own players helps Newcastle United win football matches? Well, go on then.

People who boo etc are arseholes granted, but are we now not allowed to come onto an internet forum based on our club and simple criticise a player who has been consistantly shit for years now without being questioned on our support?

You're allowed to do whatever you want, so is Kev.

Hardly anyone's actually addressed the point he was trying to make, instead they've just got all offended about the way he made it.

The only player I've spent a game shouting at non-stop was Stephen Carr and have to admit it made him perform no better.  It made him perform no worse either though.

Well that's because that's a physical impossibility.

;)

Guest alijmitchell

I get the impression that a significant number of people take great delight in going to the match (or coming on here) just to hurl some abuse in the direction of which ever player they've chosen to have a vendetta against. Like Smith getting booed onto the pitch at the Valencia game, that was just f***ing embarrassing, yeah, he may be s***, but that's hardly going to make him play better, is it!?! We've all been to matches and sat near someone who's slated a particular player from the beginning to the end, regardless of how they're playing, well a lot of people in here do the same f***ing thing.

;)

Get annoyed at him, question his loyalty...hypocrite  :pow:

I get the impression that a significant number of people take great delight in going to the match (or coming on here) just to hurl some abuse in the direction of which ever player they've chosen to have a vendetta against. Like Smith getting booed onto the pitch at the Valencia game, that was just f***ing embarrassing, yeah, he may be s***, but that's hardly going to make him play better, is it!?! We've all been to matches and sat near someone who's slated a particular player from the beginning to the end, regardless of how they're playing, well a lot of people in here do the same f***ing thing.

;)

Who? Me?

Never!!

Guest optimistic nit

got to say the only player i think i would boo in a newcastle shirt is steven fucking carr. dont think i was ever lucky enough to have the privlage of doing so though, which i suppose makes me quite lucky ;) .

;)

But he has every right to get annoyed, I am disloyal and also a hypocrite as well.  It's what makes me so lovable. :booze:

Message boards always get polarized.  There people on the positive side and there are people on the negative side.  The vast amount of people are between them and they invariably get pushed out to the extremes based solely on as little as one portion of one post.  I'musually pretty positive and prefer to optimistic.  I don't like to criticize my teams all that much but if someone else wants to that's their right.  When somone is always negative, I do wonder why they bother to root, though.  Anyways, arguing over the quality of our fandom is kind of silly.  I'd much rather discuss strategy.  Like why did Arse back off after Persie's PK?  What contributed to our run of good form mid game?  And why didn't it lead to more legit shots on goal?

FWIW, Arsenal dominated because they had more talent on the pitch and that talent was far more cohesive than the injury riddled, thrown together XI that we had.  We have some nice pieces and I hope we sign a few more.  If we do, it's going to take a while for them all to gel.  Until then, we're going to have to deal with some shit.  But don't forget that shit makes the flowers grow  :snod:

Guest rebel_yell12

Are some on here actually saying Owen was equally poor as Ameobi?

Wow.  Name one positive thing Ameobi did.  Just one.  I can't.  Name a negative thing.  That's easy, isn't it?  Bet at least 2-3 come to mind.  Score = -2

On to Owen.  Positives:  shots on goal (yep) -- shot on target (yep-- from my view, the one that nicked Ameobi's heel was on target for the lower corner).  Dropped deep to at least touch the ball with relative regularity.  Provided good leadership as captain.  Negatives: missed the shot, not as involved as he perhaps could've been.  Score = +2.

Was Owen MotM?  No, not even near.  As pointless as Ameobi? No, not even near.

Perhaps it's because everyone expects miracles of Michael Owen that some are equating him to Ameobi, but there wasn't much for him to do today.  He had f***-all service, and no decent partner up front.  We've known for at least a year that Ameobi wasn't sufficient quality for Newcastle United.  It was hardly shocking that he'd struggle against a Big 4 side.  Just as it's been known for a long time that Owen needs a partner upfront.  Neither performance surprised me, tbh. 

For the last two matches, Michael Owen has saved Newcastle some embarrassment (along with Given, who did so again today) by scoring the winning goals.  Thus far, he's 2 in 3 this season (actually, 2 goals in about 180 minutes of playing) and since Keegan's return he has scored 13 goals in 23 matches, with 9 in his last 12.  It seems like some people are just waiting in the wings to slate him the minute he goes a match without scoring.  Suspiciously silent when he does well, and frighteningly gleeful when he's average.  He WAS average today, with so very little service.  But average would have been an improvement for Ameobi.

I am NOT blaming the loss on Ameobi.  Even if Owen had scored that goal (assuming it had gotten past Almunia) Arsenal would have dominated this match.  That said, he desperately needs replacing with a plain better striker to act as cover for Viduka and/or Martins.  I would never boo Ameobi (I don't boo anyone in a Newcastle kit, full stop) but I think I have the right to criticise his perpetually poor performances. 

MY Motm was Given -- who kept it from being an absolute embarrassment of 5+ proportions.  Best outfield player was Jonas.

Strange how the lack of service is used as an excuse for Owen, but not for Shola.

Criticism is fine, so long as it's fair.

from what i saw (extended highlights only) owen ,on the few occasions he got the ball,kept it quite well and found another nufc player....ameobi tripped,stumbled,fell and looked like a panto horse missing the front end.

Strange how the lack of service is used as an excuse for Owen, but not for Shola.

from what i saw (extended highlights only) owen ,on the few occasions he got the ball,kept it quite well and found another nufc player....ameobi tripped,stumbled,fell and looked like a panto horse missing the front end.

Like I've said before that's a fair comment, there's plenty to criticise without people inventing other things or exaggerating.

Guest rebel_yell12

The lack of service was one reason for Owen to be average (the other being his lack of a decent partner, which Ameobi cannot claim).  It would have been an excuse for Ameobi to be average as well.  Problem is, Ameobi wasn't average.  It is probably fair to say Ameobi looked as poor as he did partly due to service/a severely outclassed midfield.  Fact is, we've seen Owen be top-class, with decent service and a partner (or two) upfront which makes people more able to see reasons for an average performance when he delivers one.  When's the last time Ameobi looked top-class, with or without a decent midfield/service? Owen's consistent performances (when fit) have EARNED him some leeway to be average when the rest of the team is likewise quite average (and against notably above average opponents).  I have to say, I don't think Ameobi has quite earned the same.  When he's scored 9 goals in the last 12 matches in which he's played -- get back to me about trying to compare Owen & Ameobi straight across. 

I don't think I'm inventing a thing, indi.  Nor am I exaggerating.  Trying to say that Owen was as poor as Ameobi requires both of those, however.  Aside from one match for England (v. Azerbaijan of all teams) I've never seen Owen look as utterly pointless/poor as Ameobi did yesterday.  I feel the need to repeat that I am NOT blaming Ameobi for the defeat.  But yesterday certainly did illustrate that Newcastle need better coverage for Viduka and/or Martins.

Seen alot of negative comments in the match thread and fear an extremely negative and tedious night on the board, well for a start we lost away to Arsenal, before people get all doom and gloom just remember its Arsenal, this isnt Derby away again i mean most teams outside of the top 4 will go to Arsenal and get done over this season, some by more than 3 goals.

There are some good points to take from todays game. Jonas, Bassong, Guthrie and Colo showed some more signs of being good buys for us. Given made a few good saves and is showing signs of having the quality we remember him for, which is refreshing after the criticism he got last season. Owen got another 90 minutes in and would of got another goal had Ameobi not been playing, so thats a plus aswell.

I think people should just wind their necks in and look forward to tonight, tomorrow and Monday, as im sure we will see some new faces come in. In 2 weeks we are home to Hull and could potentially go on a decent run looking at our fixtures. So aye, howay the lads  O0

Usual straw-grasping - our points haul from the first 3 matches will be reflected over the season...what is so great about that?

People are now accepting that  we were playing 'The Mighty Arsenal' so we just had to turn up, take our medicine, and wait to play the 'upstarts from Hull' so we can get the antidote.

We are basically a mid-table team at best, and if there are any less than 3 players arriving on Monday, we will not even be that . A top club does NOT go into a season with a squad as thin as NUFCs.

is it fair to say that when either one is "feeding on scraps"  owen controls the ball and usually does something positive, and ameobi can't seem to even control it.  certainly not today.  i saw one header that had any hope from him.  owen on the other hand, managed a shot even with ameobi in the way!

Guest alijmitchell

Wow.  Name one positive thing Ameobi did.  Just one.  I can't.  Name a negative thing.  That's easy, isn't it?  Bet at least 2-3 come to mind.  Score = -2

On to Owen.  Positives:  shots on goal (yep) -- shot on target (yep-- from my view, the one that nicked Ameobi's heel was on target for the lower corner).  Dropped deep to at least touch the ball with relative regularity.  Provided good leadership as captain.  Negatives: missed the shot, not as involved as he perhaps could've been.  Score = +2.

Perhaps it's because everyone expects miracles of Michael Owen that some are equating him to Ameobi, but there wasn't much for him to do today.  He had f***-all service, and no decent partner up front.  We've known for at least a year that Ameobi wasn't sufficient quality for Newcastle United.  It was hardly shocking that he'd struggle against a Big 4 side.  Just as it's been known for a long time that Owen needs a partner upfront.  Neither performance surprised me, tbh. 

For the last two matches, Michael Owen has saved Newcastle some embarrassment (along with Given, who did so again today) by scoring the winning goals.  Thus far, he's 2 in 3 this season (actually, 2 goals in about 180 minutes of playing) and since Keegan's return he has scored 13 goals in 23 matches, with 9 in his last 12.  It seems like some people are just waiting in the wings to slate him the minute he goes a match without scoring.  Suspiciously silent when he does well, and frighteningly gleeful when he's average.  He WAS average today, with so very little service.  But average would have been an improvement for Ameobi.

I am NOT blaming the loss on Ameobi.  Even if Owen had scored that goal (assuming it had gotten past Almunia) Arsenal would have dominated this match.  That said, he desperately needs replacing with a plain better striker to act as cover for Viduka and/or Martins.  I would never boo Ameobi (I don't boo anyone in a Newcastle kit, full stop) but I think I have the right to criticise his perpetually poor performances. 

MY Motm was Given -- who kept it from being an absolute embarrassment of 5+ proportions.  Best outfield player was Jonas.

That there is spot on.

Spot on.

Ameobi should never wear a black and white shirt again. Everyone is the bar i was in were just talking about him before the game, it doesn't fill you with much confidence when he is playing against Arsenal. I have defended him a lot in the past but it's now just really time to fuck off, yes i know he wasn't fully fit on Saturday but he's still just not enough, and never will be. For once i though Keegan was the only manager out of Roeder Souness Robson Allardyce who doesn't really rate him, but he was singing his praises pre match. I just don't know what the bloke does......