Few points after todays game

Decky

Although some dodgy ref decisions did not help us today, you have to admit the Arse played some fantastic football today.  :clap:

What I will say is why the fuck have we got to be the team they 'come together' against.  They were fucking shite against Fulham last week.

4 points out of 9 is still a better return than I had imagined when seeing the line-up for Augusts games.

Lets see what Monday 11:59 will bring, then I will begin any doom/gloom/praise/applauds that are just deserved.

Guest fishman09

watched the game and agree with the assessments so far.  a below par, injury ravaged toon against an 'up for it' arsenal, only one result and deffo not the end of the world.

plus, at the back of my mind i think it simply underlines to the board how much we neeed more players in.  after the results prior to today, you'd be forgiven for thinking that we didn't neeed anyone at all apart from our injured players to come back.  at least now ashley etc, can see that when up against the top tier we need some decent transfers.

fish

Guest alijmitchell

Would like to echo the sentiment in the opening post. Arsenal are good enough to bury even quality teams such as the milans of this world by good scores.

I do however disagree with the praise of Colo's performance tonight. Too many times he stepped out of the line to try and win the ball and didn't and it cost us on a few occasions.

Taylor, Guthrie or Gutierrez my man of the match. Probably Taylor, good game when others around him lost their heads. In Rudyard Kipling's eyes, he's now a man.

Taylor man of the match? Are you insane? Did you not see him jockeying and standing off Nasri about eight yards from our goal before the third? Or his lack of awareness to track denilson's run properly? Or the fact that he almost gave away another penalty?

He was shite man, dogshit. Guthrie wasn't much better either, awful for the first goal.

Guest alijmitchell

I was at the game. did shola touch the ball?

Aye, made a class block from owen's goal bound shot. If shola was a horse, he'd be dead by now.

Defenders didn't have the best of times, but again, the problems stem from a lack of protection from the midfield.

I like Guthrie, but you simply can't have him and Butt in the same team.

It's true, just as our defence will (generally) benefit from having a Colo in it. Someone with presence, quality and footballing authority. We need a Colo in our centre midfield. Just a guaranteed very solid (potentially) world class player. But we have Butt and Guthrie. The former should only play in a midfield 3. The latter should be the equivalent of Freddie Flintoff bowling: first change.

Our midfield were the reason we were so poor last season. Butt is ready for playing in League one to see his career out.

Arsenal were faster, sharper and more physical in midfield, up against the best we have bar a fit Barton (I would have Zog and Jonas as my two wide men as first choice).  We need a lot more in that area.

Guest ObaStar

Im a little worried about all these injuries cropping up again. Seemed to go away under Allardyce but now half the squad is injured again.

Guest sittingontheball

Its only one game. We drew at Man U a couple of weeks ago. We were able to press and stop them playing, yet were incapable of doing the same against Arsenal with pretty much the same team.

Everyone says Arsenal don't like it up em, so maybe we should have started 4-5-1. If you let them find their groove, they're an awesome team.

No more Shola please ffs.

Would like to echo the sentiment in the opening post. Arsenal are good enough to bury even quality teams such as the milans of this world by good scores.

I do however disagree with the praise of Colo's performance tonight. Too many times he stepped out of the line to try and win the ball and didn't and it cost us on a few occasions.

Taylor, Guthrie or Gutierrez my man of the match. Probably Taylor, good game when others around him lost their heads. In Rudyard Kipling's eyes, he's now a man.

Taylor man of the match? Are you insane? Did you not see him jockeying and standing off Nasri about eight yards from our goal before the third? Or his lack of awareness to track denilson's run properly? Or the fact that he almost gave away another penalty?

He was s**** man, dogshit. Guthrie wasn't much better either, awful for the first goal.

I am insane. I am nuts. I am clearly bonkers. I am a weird transsexual arsenal fan masquerading as a toon fan for the joy of it. If i wasn't so crazily insane i'd write something constructive but all i can think about is eating my fingers off and washing them down with some balsamic vinegar tinged with mosquito blood.

From what i saw, Guthrie spent the whole 90+ mins in that 5 second period not tracking Eboue like a truman show loop. What a poor poor game the lad had. Not tracking on a loop. Almost as mad as me he is. But not quite. Cause i'm insane

Guest POWNATS

We need games like this, especially early in the season.  Arsenals game was sublime at times. 

If I could have a wish though, it would be to never see Taylor, Butt or Ameobi in a Newcastle shirt again.  I don't hate them, i'm just very tired of them, they give us nothing.  I know Taylor has his fans, but he is too easily put in a panic for my liking.

Agree totaly but you forgot Smith

looked a little too much like "normal service has been resumed"

Guest POWNATS

funny that cos most peoples eyes hes just plain shite

As an outsider looking in ,so to speak! I agree with you,I thought Taylor was your best defender today.

as for Gutierrez,he did his fair share of defencive work,but going forward,theres just no end product.

As an outsider looking in ,so to speak! I agree with you,I thought Taylor was your best defender today.

as for Gutierrez,he did his fair share of defencive work,but going forward,theres just no end product.

I agree about the lack of end product and he had no excuse with all of the running off the ball from the other midfielders and forwards.  How he failed to pick out Shola is beyond me.

I agree about the lack of end product and he had no excuse with all of the running off the ball from the other midfielders and forwards.  How he failed to pick out Shola is beyond me.

He runs into blind alleys mate,nothing to do with the runs others make,It was apperent in the Man Utd game too.

Some people's hatred of Shola has grown to the extent that they're now seeing things that didn't happen. He didn't block Owen's "goal-bound shot" as .com and a number of people on here have convinced themselves, Owen put it wide. Yeah, his presence put Owen off, but Owen's just as much at fault for pussying out of the shot as he is for getting in the way, there's pretty much no way he could have got out of the way, in fact. What he is guilty of is a lack of self confidence, he was going to take the ball back into the centre of the goal and would likely have scored if he had, but he saw Owen coming in and deferred to him instead, which was a mistake because as I said, there was no way for him to get out of the way and if Owen's shot had in fact been "goal-bound" then it would have hit him. However, if he wasn't there and Owen's shot had been on target then it would simply have hit the Arsenal defender standing behind him anyway. Owen would have had a job on to get it past both the defender and Almunia from there and if Shola hadn't have been there then the best we'd have ended up with would likely have been a corner. The best chance of us scoring was if Shola had done what he was going to do in the first place, but he lacked the confidence to back himself to score, hmmm.... I wonder why that might be?

Guest alijmitchell

He was s**** man, dogshit. Guthrie wasn't much better either, awful for the first goal.

I am insane. I am nuts. I am clearly bonkers. I am a weird transsexual arsenal fan masquerading as a toon fan for the joy of it. If i wasn't so crazily insane i'd write something constructive but all i can think about is eating my fingers off and washing them down with some balsamic vinegar tinged with mosquito blood.

From what i saw, Guthrie spent the whole 90+ mins in that 5 second period not tracking Eboue like a truman show loop. What a poor poor game the lad had. Not tracking on a loop. Almost as mad as me he is. But not quite. Cause i'm insane

Fucking nutjob tbh  :idiot2:

Did he really cover himself in glory though? I just don't really think anyone put in a shift worthy of 'man of the match' acclaim and although he wasn't terrible, (there were worse performers on the pitch), and up against miles better players, what did he actually contribute worthy of such an accolade? Don't you think, in the circumstances, you could probably say Given was our best performer anyway?

Moreover, maybe it is just  handy phrase, but I just think saying 'xxxxxx player was man of the match' after we've just received a good spanking is totally irrelevant and pointless.

Also, my comment on your fragile mental state was related more to your assessment of Taylor's performance, and if I knew where you lived, I'd have you sectioned.

P.S. What does mosquito blood taste like?  :pow: