KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've surprised myself over this whole affair. Being a hardcore Keegan devotee from the first time round I thought I would share the view that what he says goes, and that the system should be scrapped/remoulded to accomodate him.

But in fact I find myself hoping that he will compromise as much as Ashley will. I realy hope that the objections of Keegan, however great he might be, don't lead to the dismantling of what I think is a solid recruitment and spending policy.

Tommorow will be the day, although that is a guess.

BTW, those who think they are talking about a "compensation packet". What the fuck are agents, Solictors and lawyers payed so much for.

I can hardly see Ashley and Co talking about his serverance pay before telling the fans that he isn't the manager.

I've surprised myself over this whole affair. Being a hardcore Keegan devotee from the first time round I thought I would share the view that what he says goes, and that the system should be scrapped/remoulded to accomodate him.

But in fact I find myself hoping that he will compromise as much as Ashley will. I realy hope that the objections of Keegan, however great he might be, don't lead to the dismantling of what I think is a solid recruitment and spending policy.

Completely agree. I don't think a quick fix of binning anyone will really benefit the club in the long run. What happens next time there's a disagreement - we sack someone else? They have to work out a way of working TOGETHER as best they can. If someone absolutely HAS to leave then so be it, but I'm not going to be upset if they work through this as one. In fact I'd be delighted.

Guest icemanblue

BTW, those who think they are talking about a "compensation packet". What the fuck are agents, Solictors and lawyers payed so much for.

I can hardly see Ashley and Co talking about his serverance pay before telling the fans that he isn't the manager.

???

???

I mean, i think we will hear the outcome tommorow.

It's clear the current setup isn't working, the worst thing that could happen IMO is that both sides try and give the current setup another try, because it's just delaying the inevitable.

I disagree completely, I think that's the best thing that could happen - it would show that all parties were mature and had the capacity for compromise, as well as having the best interests of the club at heart.

More likely it would show that Keegan can't afford to leave from a financial point of view or that the board can't bring themselves to sack him, fearing the supporters backlash.

So we soldier on waiting for this to inevitably boil over again, and we get another week of this.

Ideally everything would be rosy and nothing would need to change. But that really doesn't seem to be the case.

It's clear the current setup isn't working, the worst thing that could happen IMO is that both sides try and give the current setup another try, because it's just delaying the inevitable.

I disagree completely, I think that's the best thing that could happen - it would show that all parties were mature and had the capacity for compromise, as well as having the best interests of the club at heart.

More likely it would show that Keegan can't afford to leave from a financial point of view or that the board can't bring themselves to sack him, fearing the supporters backlash.

So we soldier on waiting for this to inevitably boil over again, and we get another week of this.

Ideally everything would be rosy and nothing would need to change. But that really doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm not so sure, everyone in football seems to have got into a mindset where if a manager disagrees with an owner then one of them has to go. But there's no reason it has to work like that is there?

I think it would be great if everyone was still in their jobs after this. I'm not saying that everything would stay the same, but I think it's more a case of the system/balance of power needing to be tweaked than someone needing to be booted out.

Guest johnson293

People keep saying this while comparing it to previous walk-outs where he went and didnlt come back.

I dont' know for sure that he doesn't need the money, but the situation now compared to last time he left us over a 'matter of principal' is a bit different.

Last time, the club was becoming a PLC as that wa sthe way clubs were going, and Sir John wasn't going to change his mind over whether to float or not. I think it has been documented that KK left as he didn't want to be answering to PLC moneymen, and being told to sell players, etc to balance books, etc (Something that happened a year later under Dalglish with the Les Ferdinand sale).

This time, there is no PLC, just one single outright owner, so Keegan may feel with some negotiation/stamping of feet, call it what you will, that he can force through a change for the better of the club for the longerterm, and get some control back.

Whether he can, and Ashley is prepared to sacrifice Wise/The recruitment set-up and give more power back to Keegan, is another matter.

But I agree with something said above - if these discussions were simply about compensation/severence, we would have heard he'd gone by now, and it would be left to legal people to sort out money.

I believe these talks are about sorting out the structure, and who controls who/what. I just hope its sorted positively.

I hear where you're coming from, but do Wise, Jimenez and Vetere represent that solid a recruitment team?

Wise seems to have no more contacts in the game than the next man, Jimenez is an ex Chelsea steward and Vetere is largely unknown.

Guest smarty2006

Lets face it Keegan has been unhappy for a while, well since Wise came anyway, but I got the impression he was biting the Bullet for love of the club/fans and would give us at least 1 full season? We all knew from day one the Keegan of old would not put up with the whole DOF thing. He seemed to accept this and was adapting to it.  I thought the deal was he would come in to calm the waters, give us a reasonable period of stability (1-2years?) making our club a better prospect for a future quality manager? I thought the last thing he would do would put us in the stink like this! surely he knows the damage done if he walks?

This affair has ripped the scab of a long healing wound!  Keegan quite frankly as much as I love the guy has a lot of explaining to do! (as does Mike Ashley but that goes with out saying!)

Cba searching through about 140 pages of this thread, but did anybody hear the Five Live interview on the radio yesterday between Gabby Logan and KK? Taken from a while back when he said he'd never take a job with a DOF involved and would never return to management?

Found it quite ironic tbh.

From way back in May ... it really does make you wonder now.

Marcelino in, King Kev out?

May 25 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE are again considering replacing Kevin Keegan with top Spanish coach Marcelino, according to sources in Spain.

Talk of United’s interest in Marcelino began in March but died down amid their late-season mini-revival under Keegan.

However, the Magpies are said to be one of a handful of clubs to have contacted Marcelino’s agents this week following his resignation as Racing Santander coach.

And the Sunday Sun understands that United have been in regular communication with the 42-year-old’s representatives via a member of their new scouting network in Spain.

Marcelino — full name Marcelino Garcia Toral — stunned Spanish football by securing a sixth-place finish for relative minnows Santander in his first season at the club.

But he walked out on Wednesday, insisting Racing do not have the resources to fulfil his managerial ambitions.

He has since confirmed that Valencia and “other teams” have spoken to his agents.

But with Valencia having only just unveiled Unai Emery as their new coach, it seems unlikely Marcelino will start next season there.

And he and Newcastle are directly linked through scout Pablo Longoria.

Having identified several new signings for Marcelino at Racing last summer and during his time at previous club Recreativo de Huelva, the Sunday Sun can reveal that Longoria — thought to be just 21 — is now talent-spotting in Europe on behalf of Newcastle.

And with the two men remaining close, it is little wonder that talk is rife in Spain of a United approach for Marcelino.

Longoria is liaising with Newcastle’s technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere in scouring Europe for bright young talent.

But the young Spaniard has no professional background in football, with his apparently encyclopaedic knowledge of players across the Continent said to be gained from the Internet.

I really dont see whats wrong with the scouting/contracts etc team being under and answerable to the manager not the other way around as weve got it, after all if we get relegated its the manager who gets the blame, not the people who sold/bought the players without the managers consent

The longer this silence, especially Keegan's, goes on the more I'm inclined to agree with those who say Keegan and his lawyers are now playing hardball as to his "pay-off." They'll be up to their eyeballs discussing legalities and  points of view semantics about "We didn't sack you mate.." along with "Well, I sure as hell didn't resign." then "But you walked out!" replied by "But I never went anywhere!" If this whole episode was about rules of responsability within the new structure of the club it would have been sorted within the first few hours of the dispute arising. Keegan may have reasoned that by playing the same game twice - walking out - the Board would go into instant panic mode and beg him to come back like last time. Maybe this time there's a bulllet in the chamber with his name on it.

If Keegan stays I'm sure Ashley will not forget or forgive this slight.

I can't see Marcelino walking out on Zaragoza so early in the season.

Zaragoza are in the spanish second division. I think he would leave.

We were linked with Marcelino in March, again in May and just in the past few days with this latest flare up.

Zaragoza are in the spanish second division. I think he would leave.

We were linked with Marcelino in March, again in May and just in the past few days with this latest flare up.

Didn't he say he had offers in England but refused because of his sons studies?

I can't see us accepting anyone called Marcelino anywhere near St James' Park!

i'm sure someone told me the infamous broken finger marcelino is chief scout at liverpool now.

That explains a lot.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2008/06/22/did-toon-approach-marcelino-79310-21130526/

SPANISH coach Marcelino — strongly linked with Newcastle — has revealed that he turned down an approach from an English club before joining Real Zaragoza.

Having left Racing Santander last month, Marcelino agreed to take over at Zaragoza . . . but only, he claims, after rejecting overtures from England for personal reasons.

“The English option was interesting, but family issues meant that it was not the right moment to go,” said Marcelino, pictured right.

The Spaniard is said to have been sounded out by third parties about the possibility of succeeding Kevin Keegan at St James’s Park.

“My son begins studying this September for the Bachillerato (Spain’s equivalent of A-levels) and so it would not be good to leave Spain now.

“But I am convinced that similar options will arrive in the future, and I want to perfect my English.”