Who Do You Want As Keegan's Replacement?

Tooj

Zico and D' OL though I'm really past caring anymore:

Alan Shearer not in the running for United job

Sep 5 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

ALAN SHEARER, the No 1 choice of many fans to replace Kevin Keegan, will NOT be returning to St James’s Park.

Mike Ashley is looking for a big name, and talks from leading agents today insist that Zico is a possibility, however far-fetched that would seem.

But there has to be a big chance that Dennis Wise’s big mate Gus Poyet will be installed as the next coach of United.

I use the word coach because as long as Wise is director of football the next incumbent will not be allowed to manage in the true English way.

However, the chances of Wise himself moving across to a managerial role looks remote, such is the hostility towards him from the United fans.

There is no-one in the world capable of replacing Keegan, but the nearest in my view is undoubtedly Shearer.

I travelled down to London on the train with Shearer on Saturday morning and his love for the club he graced for so long was so abundantly clear.

But Ashley had the chance to bring the legendary striker back to St James’s Park in January when he sacked Sam Allardcye – and he passed that chance up.

As a result, there is no way I can see Shearer coming back as long as the current regime is still there.

And while leading agents tell me they have been asked to track down Zico has to be the longest of long shots. But he certainly is a big name and, after Pele, he is considered probably the greatest player in Brazil’s history with 88 caps.

At 55, he is two years younger than Keegan and has experienced club management with Fenerbahce since 2006, although he is now a free agent.

But coaching in Newcastle is different to Turkey.

However, it is not a surprise that Wise’s sidekick Poyet has been installed as favourite to replace Keegan.

For me, Kevin’s replacement is always going to be one of Wise’s close friends from his Chelsea days like Poyet, Gianluca Vialli or Gianfranco Zola.

It could also be a coach from La Liga bearing in mind vice-president Tony Jimenez’s Spanish roots.

Poyet is a neighbour of Jimenez in London and, to be fair to the Uruguyan, he has looked the business in his back-up roles at Leeds United and now Spurs.

But he is tarnished by his association with Wise and if he does decide to swap White Hart Lane for St James’s Park then life early on will be extremely difficult for him.

Another outsider for the job will be David O’Leary – mainly because he is a big pal of United managing director Derek Llambias.

Indeed, O’Lleary was the guest of Llambias at The Emirates on Saturday.

Would Poyet even take the job? I'm not sure

He's having a key role at Tottenham, in charge of a lot of the training set up and as a young coach learning from an excellent experienced manager.

It'd be a killer for his career at this point to go to Newcastle and be a failure.

your kidding arent you? Manager of Newcastle with his best mate upstairs? His first full time managers position being a premiership club with some top top players.

i know a lot of people would knock it back, but not the likes of Poyet.

I live in Japan - Zico coached the National team a few years ago and he is, for want of a better word, crap as a manager. Boring tactics, favouritism in abundance and picks the wrong players. Low scoring games too.

tbf though, Japan doesnt have an array of telent to choose from though.

Apologies if this has previously been said....

Heard a letter on SSN going along the lines of "If Shearer really loved the club, he'd save us now".

In my eyes, if Shearer really loved the club, he'd stay well away. Surely he isn't ready...

I live in Japan - Zico coached the National team a few years ago and he is, for want of a better word, crap as a manager. Boring tactics, favouritism in abundance and picks the wrong players. Low scoring games too.

With a statement like that you obviously don't watch Japanese football then.

Guest Heneage

Claudio Cesare Prandelli

No need to shout. Can he speak spanish though?

As an Italian he would be able to pick it up rather quickly.

With a statement like that you obviously don't watch Japanese football then.

your right, i dont. I dont watch German, Portuguese, Brazilian, Argentinian, Dutch football either.

totally agree......plus he coached in Japan for almost 10 years but could barely string a few words together as he never made an effort to learn the language.......  pretty disgraceful IMO.

I think "Zico" Martin would be a better choice. They have a statue of him outside of Kashima Antlers' ground and he has to be one of the least deserving players to get that accolade. A truly horrible idea if there ever was one.

Nee Gamba Osaka like :D

How much did Urawa get for Washington?

Rubbish this season. The motley crew I follow did the double on them already this season. Washington is one of the biggest cheats I've ever seen.

Apologies for dragging the topic off on a tangent though I'm infinitely more satisfied with the 200 quid or so I pay for my season ticket (including 3 cup games) and what I get for it. I've tried to get my eldest son interested in Newcastle - bought him shirts, accessories etc. but he's having none of it. He plays for Omiya Ardija's junior team (the name of the professional team I follow) and won't be swayed at all. I blame last year's Derby County home game that I took him to - he told me (in Japanese) that we were rubbish and he was right.

Shearer won't do it after what happened the last time we changed manager. In fact Shearer won't be manager with the current owner in place.

I've a feeling Marcelino Garcia Toral will be here before the Hull game.

i'd be ok with van gaal, marcelino or bilic. but wudnt be against deschamps and laudrup.

has to be foreign. got a feeling itll have to be spanish, someone who doesnt have a big ego (so he can be ashley's puppet) and has experience working in this set up tho...

Shearer won't do it after what happened the last time we changed manager. In fact Shearer won't be manager with the current owner in place.

I've a feeling Marcelino Garcia Toral will be here before the Hull game.

Hope you're right.

I'm boycotting everything that Ashley could profit from in protest. Games, shirts, stores etc.  :dave:

:angry:  I hugely disagree with what they have done in forcing Keegan out, so i would feel hypocritical supporting Ashley & Wise. If bloody Wise takes over as manager that will be the clingon on top of the shit.

Can't see a really decent manager wanting no control over players comings and goings anyway. Just selling who they like. What a mess they've made of it. Maybe its Ashley's way of advertising in order to sell more quickly and make his quick profit. Or maybe he's just made a right hash of it.

Guest Darth Toon

Gus Poyet clear favourite - why is that exactly? I haven't seen his name being seriously linked with any other top-level managerial vacancies.

The one and only reason he's apparently in pole position is because he's big mates with Dennis Wise. The same Dennis fucking Wise who's just played a major part in forcing KK out of the club. The whole thing fucking stinks.  :dave:

Would Poyet even take the job? I'm not sure

He's having a key role at Tottenham, in charge of a lot of the training set up and as a young coach learning from an excellent experienced manager.

It'd be a killer for his career at this point to go to Newcastle and be a failure.

your kidding arent you? Manager of Newcastle with his best mate upstairs? His first full time managers position being a premiership club with some top top players.

i know a lot of people would knock it back, but not the likes of Poyet.

With 52000 locals calling for his blood before he set foot in the place?  I don't know that he doesn't want it, but I would be surprised if he did.  There's no whispers going around that Poyet has been offered it or that he would want it if it was.  The only rumour circulating currently is that Wet Spam could soon be near identical to Man City.  The Bingo Club awash with money?  Doesn't bear thinking about!