Who Do You Want As Keegan's Replacement?

Tooj

Keegan coming back just won't work.

What happens again in 8 months time when another thing doesn't go his way?

It's not a Keegan thing. I'm very sure Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger would've done the same thing if their owners did the same to them. Benitez almost left for something less, if i'm right.

Alan Shearer appears to have ruled himself out of the vacant manager's job at Newcastle after describing the structure at the club as "strange".

"I'd like to be a manager at some point in my career," the former Newcastle player told BBC Sport's Football Focus.

"But I want to manage - and control who comes in and out of the club."

Spot-on Alan, and one of the reasons I always thought he WOULD be a good manager - one day..

Spaniard not keen on Magpies job

Marcelino Garcia Toral is strongly linked to Newcastle United, in search of a new manager, but the Real Zaragoza boss has distanced himself from St James’ Park's bench.

Marcelino is a highly rated coach in La Liga, who impressed with Racing Santander, helping the modest side qualify for the Uefa Cup.

But he surprisingly opted to join Zaragoza, relegated to the second tier at the end of last season.

The tactician is believed to be a possible replacement for Keegan after “King Kev” resigned from his position at The Magpies.

Nevertheless, Marcelino has committed himself to Los Blanquiazules and revealed he is not interested in managing Newcastle.

“I’ve signed a two-year deal with Zaragoza and I’m not going to move anywhere even if a lot of money is offered by whatever club,” Marcelino told Diario Equipo when asked about Newcastle’s possible interest.

“I’m committed to this project because I believe in it. I don’t mind of Newcastle or whoever.

“My only idea is matching Zaragoza's objectives.”

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/09/06/PremLiga-Marcelino-on-Newcastle-job/

The thing is, until Keegan finishes it (either gets sacked for poor performance, or wins us something) he's going to keep being linked with coming back. That's why I wanted him back in the first place, to 'finish what he started'.

Whether he wins us silverware, or fails miserably, we can finally then draw a line under it, wipe the slate clean and move on, with noone ever linking him to the job again.

If it stays like this though, every time we lose a manager or something goes wrong, the fans will be chanting/wanting for Keegan as they have done since he left the first time.

The thing is, until Keegan finishes it (either gets sacked for poor performance, or wins us something) he's going to keep being linked with coming back. That's why I wanted him back in the first place, to 'finish what he started'.

Whether he wins us silverware, or fails miserably, we can finally then draw a line under it, wipe the slate clean and move on, with noone ever linking him to the job again.

If it stays like this though, every time we lose a manager or something goes wrong, the fans will be chanting/wanting for Keegan as they have done since he left the first time.

Which is, as you are hinting, why Newcastle are being held back and may not truly progress until that is done. The sooner KK is not linked with a return and the reciprocal love affair he has with Newcastle is ended, the better. Emotion cannot get in the way of footballing progress.

Which is, as you are hinting, why Newcastle are being held back and may not truly progress until that is done. The sooner KK is not linked with a return and the reciprocal love affair he has with Newcastle is ended, the better. Emotion cannot get in the way of footballing progress.

Exactly. And that love affair won't end until he finishes the job. As I say, either fails or succeeds. Leaving it like this, on uncertainty, will just not help.

With Kevin Keegan, emotion is always going to get in the way.

Guest Howaythetoon

KK is fine if he gets all the support he needs, he was at here and Man City two of the most unstable clubs in the history of English football for 5 years each or something.

Oh and I want a manager who shows some emotion, it isn't illegal you know or even a character flaw, in KK's case its one of his strengths.

With Kevin Keegan, emotion is always going to get in the way.

Without a doubt.

I also think the whole reaction of fans comes down the emotionally iconic perception of a manager in British football. The manager is boss, he has total control. Unfortunately, I'd say Ferguson is one of the few managers who can boast such a powerful position. The landscape is changing, fast.

If Poyet becomes manager the entire setup will reek of 'Jobs for the Boys' with a load of out of touch Southern idiots who have no love for Newcastle running our club from London.

Our two most successful managers, Keegan and Robson, they understood us. Thats why it worked.

i love bobby and kk as much as the next man but i have to say i think its got more to do with them being quality managers, and more importantly getting more time from the fans, than them understanding us.

If Poyet becomes manager the entire setup will reek of 'Jobs for the Boys' with a load of out of touch Southern idiots who have no love for Newcastle running our club from London.

Our two most successful managers, Keegan and Robson, they understood us. Thats why it worked.

Depends if you're talking about managers or above that. This Ambani character will hardly have any more of a grasp of the history and culture of the club. Comes down to money, it seems.

Frank Rijkaar, has anyone mentioned him? I don't know much about him as a manager apart from he was let go by Barca

As an outsider I think Rijkaard would be a very good choice for Newcastle. Led Barcelona to the CL and 2 titles in his tenure, and is used to stupidly high expectations. Whether he would come is a different topic.

I've not read this thread so might be repeating other people's sentiments, but i'm really not bothered who our new manager is. Normally when someone leaves I get a burst of optimism and i'm on the news every few minutes checking for some news. This time i'm just not interested. Its going to be a 'yes man' that one Ashley's cronies is mates with, so what's the point in expecting someone good?

Guest Geordiesned

Sorry if already posted!

From nufc.com:

The Spanish press ran the following quotes from Real Zaragoza coach Marcelino Garcia Toral* on Saturday, following his appearance in lists of alleged candidates for the vacancy at SJP: 

“I’ve signed a two-year deal with Zaragoza and I’m not going to move anywhere even if a lot of money is offered by whatever club.

“I’m committed to this project because I believe in it. I don’t mind of Newcastle or whoever.

“My only idea is matching Zaragoza's objectives.”

(* that's another Marcelino - not "that" one).

Guest Howaythetoon

I've not read this thread so might be repeating other people's sentiments, but i'm really not bothered who our new manager is. Normally when someone leaves I get a burst of optimism and i'm on the news every few minutes checking for some news. This time i'm just not interested. Its going to be a 'yes man' that one Ashley's cronies is mates with, so what's the point in expecting someone good?

Exactly.

Or someone willing to work as part of a team O0

Its not a team when the most vital cog is undermined.

Its not a team when someone sees themselves as the most important thing in it either.

Its not a team when someone sees themselves as the most important thing in it either.

Its nothing to do with Keegan and his mentality. The manager of the football club should be the key decision maker. Any Director of Football (imo) should be appointed by the manager and be subservant to him. He's a glorified scout whose job should be the make it easier for the manger to manager, not to undermine him.

What is the most important thing then?

aye that Curbishley is a right prima donna