Keegan in demand to boss Premier Clubs?

TRon

Guest LucaAltieri

But that'll be based on the fact he never finishes a job. Always walks. Not saying that he wasn't right to do so this time round, but I wouldn't hire him.

By that you only mean he never gets sacked though surely?

Buggers off before anyone gets chance to.

As a temporary measure he works out well, but after his first spell at Newcastle he didn't stay in any job for a great length of time, did he? Couple of seasons at City being the longest he managed if I remember rightly.

That's a good thing surely? Knows when his time is up, doesn't cost anything etc.

He left Fulham to take over the England job, that's not really the same as walking away, anyone else would do the same. He was at City for four years, got them promoted and left them as an established Premiership club.

His record stands up to any scrutiny. Football is a strange beast whereby walking instead of waiting for a massive payoff seems to be frowned upon.

The best managers don't have to do either.

What do they do then if they don't walk and they don't get sacked? Kill themselves?

No, keep building and rebuilding the team, bringing them on, winning trophies.

And die in the job? They leave eventually ffs. :lol: Other than Fergie and Wenger, loads of top managers move clubs all the time.  He got three clubs promoted, I'd say that was bringing them on.

Keegan left City with his head held high. He made it clear he was going to leave at the end of his contract and as often happens (Fergie) he became a lame duck, so left a bit earlier. Nothing wrong with that.

He left Fulham to take over at England. Nothing wrong with that.

Other than his disputes at Newcastle (and the downward spiral we then entered until Bobby Robson would suggest he was correct first time round), the only time he's actually quit because he was doing a shit job was England.

I'm not disputing the fact he did a good job getting Fulham and City promoted.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have taken on the England job either.

He had a reasonable stint with our lot first time round, fair enough.

With Newcastle he ran out of steam. Same with City... as evidenced by the fact he went into retirement. City got just shy of  3 seasons out of him, one of which was in the 1st division.

Hardly a Wenger-esque legacy.

As I said before, I have no doubt he's a good manager for the short term, but his long term record is nothing to boast about.

But that'll be based on the fact he never finishes a job. Always walks. Not saying that he wasn't right to do so this time round, but I wouldn't hire him.

As a temporary measure he works out well, but after his first spell at Newcastle he didn't stay in any job for a great length of time, did he? Couple of seasons at City being the longest he managed if I remember rightly.

Would any of his previous have teams actually sacked him? apart from england

I don't know. he has officially resigned from Newcastle, he hasn't been sacked.

Anyway, the point of this thread was: will he be in demand by other Premier League clubs now he is available?

Aye fair enough. Wouldn't say he ran out of steam with us first time but he certainly does have a major character flaw (for a manager) in that he cares too much but then that's what endears him to everybody so much, not just fans but players and why he's such a good manager. Rough with the smooth I suppose.

Anyway, the point of this thread was: will he be in demand by other Premier League clubs now he is available?

I think if any of them thought for a second he would actually take the job, some clubs would crawl over broken glass to get a manager like KK.

Guest Brummiemag

I have always been a Keegan fan and if we are taken over by by this Indian bilionaire then why not get Keegan back with the resources he needs to sort out the unfinished busines? 

I think if any of them thought for a second he would actually take the job, some clubs would crawl over broken glass to get a manager like KK.

He went to Fulham and City after us last time. Neither were top division clubs. Other than us, I'm just trying to think which club other than ours would have given him a job before or after his recent spell here?

Again, many clubs if they thought he'd come.  To actually guess a club is pointless, like I said he had offers after Man City, from who?, I don't know.  But he's not likely to get many offers when he says he never wants to manage again (apart from a special job which is what I took from his "never say never" comment at the time).

Guest Toon Argy

Dont know why you are answering that question as it wasn't aimed at you. Who said anything about him being sacked? I think everyone knows he has resigned.

Guest smarty2006

Strange isn't it, that he was out of work before Ashley brought him back, and after resigning there's still no rush to take him on by EPL clubs outside Newcastle?

SPL?

Guest thenorthumbrian

We keep hearing how so few managers will be prepared to work at Newcastle under the current set up, on the flip side, how many other Premier club Chairmen will be prepared to hire Keegan after his fall out with Mike Ashley?

I couldn't give a flying fart what Keegan did or didn't do with in-ger-land.

But as someone pointed out, his record at club level is a good one.

And as a Newcastle fan Keegan was the one who gave the club momentum and excitement in a way no other manager did, with the exception of SBR, many years before and certainly since.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Ashley might want to hope he doesnt get another Premier League job any time soon. Be f***ing chaos at SJP when he came back

I can just imagine him buying another club and sitting in the away end at St Jmaes' wearing the strip of the club he's just bought.

Strange isn't it, that he was out of work before Ashley brought him back, and after resigning there's still no rush to take him on by EPL clubs outside Newcastle?

SPL?

Strangely enough, I'm sure he was linked with the Hearts job a few weeks before he came back here. Was obviously impressed with what Romanov was doing there.

That's a good thing surely? Knows when his time is up, doesn't cost anything etc.

He left Fulham to take over the England job, that's not really the same as walking away, anyone else would do the same. He was at City for four years, got them promoted and left them as an established Premiership club.

His record stands up to any scrutiny. Football is a strange beast whereby walking instead of waiting for a massive payoff seems to be frowned upon.

The best managers don't have to do either.

What do they do then if they don't walk and they don't get sacked? Kill themselves?

No, keep building and rebuilding the team, bringing them on, winning trophies.

And die in the job? They leave eventually ffs. :lol: Other than Fergie and Wenger, loads of top managers move clubs all the time.  He got three clubs promoted, I'd say that was bringing them on.

Keegan left City with his head held high. He made it clear he was going to leave at the end of his contract and as often happens (Fergie) he became a lame duck, so left a bit earlier. Nothing wrong with that.

He left Fulham to take over at England. Nothing wrong with that.

Other than his disputes at Newcastle (and the downward spiral we then entered until Bobby Robson would suggest he was correct first time round), the only time he's actually quit because he was doing a s*** job was England.

There's a fundamental difference between walking out and leaving the club in a lurch and leave the club on an amicable agreement at the end of the season and giving the club enough time to find a successor (which is respected managers would do when they've achieved enough at a club). Whether he is right or wrong, nobody can dispute that Keagan left us in a mess.

nobody can dispute that Keagan left us in a mess.

Oh, it's Keegan who's left us in a mess is it? Nowt to do with the people in charge of the club undermining the man and making it impossible to do his job.

I think it's Ashley and Co who are responsible for this mess.