Who are actually the realistic candidates for manager?

stozo

Sooner rather than later Zico could bring his attacking style to a major club in one of the traditional centres. If he does, there will be no compromise in style. 'I will never give up on football that is played well,' says Zico. 'There are too many defensive teams around, with players passing the ball sideways instead of going for it. I like my players to have fun and attack.'

For Zico, coaching consists of two unconventional axes: number one, dialogue; number two, teaching through repetitions. 'I will never do as a coach the things I hated people doing to me when I was a player. For me dialogue is as essential in football as in life. I like to talk to my players and I never impose anything, I always give them the chance to make their own choices.

'Obviously football also consists of tactical work, but for me the main thing is to show my players their potential and show them they are important for the team. I don't want them to listen to me and follow strictly what I say. I want them to have absolute freedom, take decisions and sort things out inside the four lines. That is my philosophy.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/apr/06/football.comment

Good article and some insight into the type of manager Zico is  :thup:

Sooner rather than later Zico could bring his attacking style to a major club in one of the traditional centres. If he does, there will be no compromise in style. 'I will never give up on football that is played well,' says Zico. 'There are too many defensive teams around, with players passing the ball sideways instead of going for it. I like my players to have fun and attack.'

For Zico, coaching consists of two unconventional axes: number one, dialogue; number two, teaching through repetitions. 'I will never do as a coach the things I hated people doing to me when I was a player. For me dialogue is as essential in football as in life. I like to talk to my players and I never impose anything, I always give them the chance to make their own choices.

'Obviously football also consists of tactical work, but for me the main thing is to show my players their potential and show them they are important for the team. I don't want them to listen to me and follow strictly what I say. I want them to have absolute freedom, take decisions and sort things out inside the four lines. That is my philosophy.'

Keep a hold of that article because when he walks through our doors he will get ripped limb by limb by the daily mail

Keep a hold of that article because when he walks through our doors he will get ripped limb by limb by the daily mail

Interesting quotes from Zico there.

Who are they when you consider these criteria.

- No traditional British manager will have the job when they don't have 100% control. The only way we get a British manager is if we get someone desperate who hasn't had a job for ages and will take anything.

- Must be able to work with a Director of Football.

- Has to be comfortable not just having a DoF but is prepared for the DoF to overrule him at times. That likely rules out the likes of Deschamps and Terim as they have both left previous club due to disputes with the board over transfers.

- Most likely needs to be attack minded or he's gonna get lynched by the fans. I think Ashley, Wise & Co. are clever enough to keep that under consideration when picking a manager.

So when you consider the above criteria who can we think of that would realistically make a shortlist?

Roberto Mancini

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/09/nufc-face-fight-to-land-didier-deschamps-72703-21709061/

A source close to Deschamps told the Chronicle: “It’s no secret that Didier was close to Dennis Wise during his time at Chelsea.

“And he was certainly interested in the job back in January before Keegan came in.

“The problem is that everybody thinks that he will be the next national team manager, very soon.”

To maybe try and put a bit of a positive spin on things, if we were to take Poyet from Spurs, what kind fo affect might that have on their season ?

Who the hell would do their post match interviews for starters.

Joking aside, Leeds noticably took a nosedive after he left. Could the impact of him leaving Spurs have a similar affect (early to tell I  know but I do expect Spurs to greatly improve as the seasons progresses)

I think there's a real possibility of that - he's a big personality at Spurs. On the other hand though, Spurs fans might feel that by being managed by someone so relatively inexperienced who's never sat in a hotseat, Newcastle are weakened as rivals and so it's a good thing for them. Swings and roundabouts.......

Poyet, its always been Poyet since the second Wise came in..

Zico would be a better choice, the fans would take ti him or at least give him a  chance, to give it to Wises best mate would be crazy, he will be gated before a vall is kicked.

Also the name Poyet will mean very little tot he squad, yeah they know who he is but its a "so what"  where as Zico is a name the squad will have a much more positive reaction too, a Legend from Brazil.

Poyet, its always been Poyet since the second Wise came in..

Zico would be a better choice, the fans would take ti him or at least give him a  chance, to give it to Wises best mate would be crazy, he will be gated before a vall is kicked.

Also the name Poyet will mean very little tot he squad, yeah they know who he is but its a "so what"  where as Zico is a name the squad will have a much more positive reaction too, a Legend from Brazil.

I'm sure our two new Argies would love that! ;-)

Honest question: do we need manager?  Aren't they really looking for someone to act as a head coach?  I can't help but feel as though another appointment would be pointless.  None of the names mentioned are particularly exciting, and I don't know if they are worth the risk.  Zico & Deschamps have big names and big reputations, but their resumes as managers are fairly thin.  They aren't necessarily any better at their jobs or more suitable simply because they are famous.  If a very qualified candidate comes along, fair enough, but so far that hasn't been the case.

I'll put my tin hat on, but give the job to Hughton for a few weeks and see what he can make of it.  See how the players perform and respond to him.  He's young, he knows the players by now, hopefully they trust him, and he has seen what works and what doesn't in the past year.  Instead of spending big money on another manager, try spending that money on a first rate coaching staff to replace the old boys who quit with Keegan. 

Honest question: do we need manager?  Aren't they really looking for someone to act as a head coach?  I can't help but feel as though another appointment would be pointless.  None of the names mentioned are particularly exciting, and I don't know if they are worth the risk.  Zico & Deschamps have big names and big reputations, but their resumes as managers are fairly thin.  They aren't necessarily any better at their jobs or more suitable simply because they are famous.  If a very qualified candidate comes along, fair enough, but so far that hasn't been the case.

I'll put my tin hat on, but give the job to Hughton for a few weeks and see what he can make of it.  See how the players perform and respond to him.  He's young, he knows the players by now, hopefully they trust him, and he has seen what works and what doesn't in the past year.  Instead of spending big money on another manager, try spending that money on a first rate coaching staff to replace the old boys who quit with Keegan. 

Chris Hughton looks far too docile to be a manager. I don't see any harm in leaving him in charge for a couple of weeks though to allow everybody to cool down. Once it becomes apparent we are just drifting along going nowhere except towards the bottom, the fans might start to appreciate we need someone to lead and direct.

Did Roeder not happen ??

Did Roeder not happen ??

Roeder's problem was his ineptitude as a manager: signing players and building a squad.  Our next appointment won't have to worry about that. 

Did Roeder not happen ??

Roeder's problem was his ineptitude as a manager: signing players and building a squad.  Our next appointment won't have to worry about that. 

Roeder's problem was that he had the spine of a jelly fish, and in the end the players were walking all over him.

Did Roeder not happen ??

He still has to pick the players to play. He also has to have some charisma to motivate and influence them. Hughton doesn't appear to have anymore of these qualities than Roeder did. Even under a DOF structure the manager needs to be a strong person and have the ability to man manage, coaching is just one aspect of his job.