Sergei Rebrov launches repulsive racist rant

The College Dropout

To be honest, I don't see this as racist.

Eh? Because you do think that black people are natural born criminals?

I don't understand...

In areas such as Tottenham, a lot of ethnic minorities live in poor conditions and have to resort to crime to make a living. I don't think any race are more liable to commit crimes, it's just relative to the area that people live in.

In London you get thieving cunts and criminals of all ethnicities, North London areas like this have large populations of blacks living below the poverty line and subsequently there are more black criminals. What he said was an observation in a ''non-PC'' manner.

If that's what he was thinking when he said that then I'll let him off, but somehow I don't think it was.

And if it was he needed to include a few of the explanations you have!

What has Croydon got to do with Tottenham? it's a completley different part of London, that's if you think Croydon is actually in London.

Did he/they mean Clapton? I spent a few years living just off murder mile at the bottom of Lower Clapton Road, rough as a badgers arse.

I lived in Croydon :(. It's exactly how it's described.

Psh, Smertin doesn't know what he's missing. Albanians, dark-skinned people, bear-fights in daylight.

Whitgift Centre repreZent!

How is calling someone "dark skinned" racist?

Saying that "dark skinned" people are any particular thing is racist because it's a generalisation of people based on pigment of skin.

Guest kingdawson

Tottenham is a s*** hole tbh (well parts of tottenham like Edmonton). Can't say im that fussed about the comments of a talentless Eastern European anyway.

Edmonton isn't in Tottenham, it isn't even in the same borough.

It's classed as tottenham from the majority of people living there, but technically, you're right.

How old is this story?

I can remember reading the same quotes at least 2 years ago

Considering they mention Pavlyuchenko's name in the quotes I don't think it is very old at all.

This is the same Rebrov who said this:

He also spoke disparagingly about England, adding: 'I admire the parks here although on my way to the city from my home in Chigwell I pass such neglected Arab districts that I instinctively press my foot on the accelerator.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/archive/england/news/2001/0717/20010717thfcrebrov.html

In 2001, fuck me the years are flying by :mick:

What has Croydon got to do with Tottenham? it's a completley different part of London, that's if you think Croydon is actually in London.

Did he/they mean Clapton? I spent a few years living just off murder mile at the bottom of Lower Clapton Road, rough as a badgers arse.

Yeah I was thinking that. Tottenham is North London & Croydon is deep, deep South London. Smertin must've got robbed or something in Croydon although I don't know why he would be there in the first place.

Smertin played for Charlton didn't he? That's not too far from Croydon

I would say Charlton is nearer to Tottenham than it is to Croydon (as the crow flies), although both Charlton and Croydon are south of the river.  (they're all Crystal Palace fans in Croydon)

Yeah I was thinking that. Tottenham is North London & Croydon is deep, deep South London. Smertin must've got robbed or something in Croydon although I don't know why he would be there in the first place.

I would say Charlton is nearer to Tottenham than it is to Croydon (as the crow flies), although both Charlton and Croydon are south of the river.  (they're all Crystal Palace fans in Croydon)

I just knew they were both SE, never been to either. Have been to some lovely bits of Peckham and New Cross though  :smug:

Guest LucaAltieri

'Broken windows of sooty brick houses, dirty shops selling cheap fruits and vegetables at every corner, immigrant teenage gangs on bikes.'

Racist overtones aside, he's made a pretty apt description. It is a shit hole. That said, Holloway, Finsbury Park etc around the Emirates isn't much better either.

Lets just drop a bomb on north London.

'Broken windows of sooty brick houses, dirty shops selling cheap fruits and vegetables at every corner, immigrant teenage gangs on bikes.'

Racist overtones aside, he's made a pretty apt description. It is a s*** hole. That said, Holloway, Finsbury Park etc around the Emirates isn't much better either.

just north ?

Racist overtones aside, he's made a pretty apt description. It is a shit hole. That said, Holloway, Finsbury Park etc around the Emirates isn't much better either.

some parts of north london are nice, primrose hill, tufnell park etc

Racist overtones aside, he's made a pretty apt description. It is a s*** hole. That said, Holloway, Finsbury Park etc around the Emirates isn't much better either.

some parts of north london are nice, primrose hill, tufnell park etc

I prefer the rough bits :lol:

You can't sit down for a Iskandar kebab, with all the trimmings, washed down with half a bottle of wine at 4am in Primrose Hill.

'A lot of dark skinned people live there. So naturally the crime rate is higher than anywhere else.'

OK, it's not the type of comment we like to see. But just to play devil's advocate here, what has he said that's actually incorrect?

Have a look here: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs06/s95race05.pdf

These are official Home Office figures, and whilst I've not read the report in full it does show that black people account for 2.8% of the population of the UK but yet make up 13.5% of the prison population.

Do you not think that, rather than it being that black people are in some way genetically pre-disposed to crime, that the disproportionate amount of black people in the prison system is more to do with the fact that poorer people in run down urban-centre communities are more likely to commit crimes that land them in prison and these communities have a higher percentage of black people than the general population? 

Reminds me of a letter I read in a paper complaining there were too many black people in EastEnders and quoting race percentages for the country as a whole to prove it was 'reverse racism' to have so many black actors in the programme.

If you then say in return "If I go to England then I'm naturally more likely to meet alcoholics" and statistics back you up (I have no idea if they do or not) then that would be fine.

That's different to the original comment though, a better comparison would be someone saying "There's lots of white people in England, so naturally you meet a lot of alcoholics."

Reminds me of a letter I read in a paper complaining there were too many black people in EastEnders and quoting race percentages for the country as a whole to prove it was 'reverse racism' to have so many black actors in the programme.

some people really do have too much time on their hands...

that said, when i was off work i sent an email complaining about the dfs ad with nickelback on saying it was cringeworthy and put me off ever buying a sofa there ... didn't do much good though

He's got a point like. (only kidding fukwits)  O0

She may be an unlikely North Londoner, but Britney Spears is believed to have family roots in Tottenham

Genealogists at the London Metropolitan Archives exploring the rejuvenated pop star's family tree have discovered her great-grandparents lived in north-east London.

They also uncovered the ancestors were apparently "living in sin".

Parish records show George Anthony Portell and Lillian Esther Lewis had been living together before the couple were married.

The pair had given the same address on their marriage records, suggesting they had been sharing a home before getting hitched - considered a big taboo at the time.

Britney's private life has been the subject of much moralising among the tabloid press.

But Laurence Ward, head of the digital wing of the archive, believes her relatives decision to "live in sin" may have been less salacious.

Spears's great-grandfather was an able seaman in the Royal Navy, and may not have had an address of his own, Mr Ward said.

"He may have been away a lot," he said. "It's highly possible that because the guy was in the Navy, he used her address.

"There's no way we can prove anything either way. It's open to interpretation."

After a lull in her glittering pop career, Britney is said to be back on the comeback trail with three awards at the recent MTV awards.

Researchers at the North London record centre traced the Spears family records while converting their historic documents onto computer.

The records held by the archive cover 500 years of London's history and contain information on more than 77 million people

'A lot of dark skinned people live there. So naturally the crime rate is higher than anywhere else.'

OK, it's not the type of comment we like to see. But just to play devil's advocate here, what has he said that's actually incorrect?

These are official Home Office figures, and whilst I've not read the report in full it does show that black people account for 2.8% of the population of the UK but yet make up 13.5% of the prison population.

Do you not think that, rather than it being that black people are in some way genetically pre-disposed to crime, that the disproportionate amount of black people in the prison system is more to do with the fact that poorer people in run down urban-centre communities are more likely to commit crimes that land them in prison and these communities have a higher percentage of black people than the general population? 

Maybe black people are often poorer because they are less intelligent than white people? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence

[can opened, worms everywhere]

I know, I'm being deliberately provocative. Seriously though, there ARE differences between the races. We're taught that everyone is equal but we're not. Look at the 100m final at the Olympics. Many whites there? No, because black people are faster runners over short distances. Look at the swimming events. Many blacks? No, because white people have lower bone density so can swim better. Look at the distance races: Lots of Africans and Asians, as genetically they're more adapted to doing well in these sort of events.

This isn't all coincidence, and we're all aware of it and it's not THAT taboo to talk about it. Though people are still careful about what they say as the PC brigade's ears prick up whenever you start such a conversation. Move it a step further though and start making other comparisons between the races (Eg intelligence) and suddenly you're a racist. But perhaps if we're rational about it for a moment and talk like adults it's simply that there ARE differences between us? Is it possible that when there's these glaring physical differences that mentally (In all respects, including intelligence and predisposition to commit crime) that we're all exactly equal? Of course not. But the very act of making that suggestion gets everyone very uncomfortable in their seats.

That's not to say, for example, that all black people are less intelligent than all white people or that all Asians are more intelligent than all white people. I'm sure there's millions of black people who are far more intelligent than myself for example and I'm certainly not racist in any way, shape or form. I'd like to point that out very strongly before the mongs descend, and if anything I'm posting the things I have in this thread just to give a balanced argument which is more fun than all of us just adding our own version of "Rebrov's a racist cunt". I always ensure I treat everyone I meet as an individual, but that's the important thing - Treat people as individuals rather than treating everyone as equal, which they're blatantly not.

Many people have descended, quite understandably, on the "Rebrov's a racist cunt" side of things but I'd have to say I'm yet to read anything where anyone has attempted to show that his comments are inaccurate, rather than just have a go at the guy and say he shouldn't have said it as he's a racist. Maybe burying such conversations under the "racist" banner isn't really that helpful in the long run?

Maybe what he's said is accurate, for whatever underlying reasons, and that areas with higher concentrations of black people are more likely to have higher concentrations of crime?

Maybe, if we were adult enough to acknowledge comments like this rather than burying our heads in the sand and refusing to discuss the matter beyond branding the speaker as a racist and a bigot, then that's the first step to addressing what could be a very real issue?

I can see what you're trying to do, Chris_R, but all you've done there is bring up more unfounded stereotypes and prejudices, which doesn't help much at all.

What you say about athletics and swimming etc - what about things like the lack of facilities in poorer areas (thus less black swimmers for example), and the lack of white role models (thus less white sprinters for example).

And as for 'Maybe black people are often poorer because they are less intelligent than white people', I don't know where to start.

Maybe black people are often poorer because they are less intelligent than white people? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence

[can opened, worms everywhere]

I know, I'm being deliberately provocative. Seriously though, there ARE differences between the races. We're taught that everyone is equal but we're not. Look at the 100m final at the Olympics. Many whites there? No, because black people are faster runners over short distances. Look at the swimming events. Many blacks? No, because white people have lower bone density so can swim better. Look at the distance races: Lots of Africans and Asians, as genetically they're more adapted to doing well in these sort of events.

This isn't all coincidence, and we're all aware of it and it's not THAT taboo to talk about it. Though people are still careful about what they say as the PC brigade's ears prick up whenever you start such a conversation. Move it a step further though and start making other comparisons between the races (Eg intelligence) and suddenly you're a racist. But perhaps if we're rational about it for a moment and talk like adults it's simply that there ARE differences between us? Is it possible that when there's these glaring physical differences that mentally (In all respects, including intelligence and predisposition to commit crime) that we're all exactly equal? Of course not. But the very act of making that suggestion gets everyone very uncomfortable in their seats.

That's not to say, for example, that all black people are less intelligent than all white people or that all Asians are more intelligent than all white people. I'm sure there's millions of black people who are far more intelligent than myself for example and I'm certainly not racist in any way, shape or form. I'd like to point that out very strongly before the mongs descend, and if anything I'm posting the things I have in this thread just to give a balanced argument which is more fun than all of us just adding our own version of "Rebrov's a racist c***". I always ensure I treat everyone I meet as an individual, but that's the important thing - Treat people as individuals rather than treating everyone as equal, which they're blatantly not.

Many people have descended, quite understandably, on the "Rebrov's a racist c***" side of things but I'd have to say I'm yet to read anything where anyone has attempted to show that his comments are inaccurate, rather than just have a go at the guy and say he shouldn't have said it as he's a racist. Maybe burying such conversations under the "racist" banner isn't really that helpful in the long run?

Maybe what he's said is accurate, for whatever underlying reasons, and that areas with higher concentrations of black people are more likely to have higher concentrations of crime?

Maybe, if we were adult enough to acknowledge comments like this rather than burying our heads in the sand and refusing to discuss the matter beyond branding the speaker as a racist and a bigot, then that's the first step to addressing what could be a very real issue?

Your ignorance is quite astounding. I think it's scary that there are regular people like you walking around everyday with such thoughts in your head.

Maybe black people are poorer because they are less intelligent? Yikes.

Did all races start off on a level playing field? Or was a certain race's way of life forced upon another's. How much time has passed since then? How long do you figure it will take to overcome that? Especially as the one race were considered as nothing more than animals and weren't given the same opportunities as the other.

If Africans had invaded europe and forced white people to return to Africa as slaves and forced them to live as Africans did prior to colonialism, how would they have fared in those circumstances? Would things be exactly as they are now?

Move it a step further though and start making other comparisons between the races (Eg intelligence) and suddenly you're a racist.

Well looking at the first dictionary definition of racism I can find

Racism - The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

I don't think it's too big a leap for someone to classify the belief that one race is naturally more intelligent than another as racist.

Guest Jawesome

Black people are different to white people though.  Why do you think there were more black track athletes at the Olympic games?  Whos to say that the differences end at the physical side of things.  You can't make that judgement and neither can any of us for that matter.

Black people are different to white people though.  Why do you think there were more black track athletes at the Olympic games?  Whos to say that the differences end at the physical side of things. 

I have a funny feeling that if a black footballer had said "England have a lot of white players, so naturally they're not going to win the world cup" people would be less forgiving.

You can't make that judgement and neither can any of us for that matter.

So are you agreeing that people can't make the judgement of "There's naturally crime in that area because there's a lot of blacks there" or "Black people are naturally less intelligent than white people" or not?